Difficulty in WiFi connection (AntiX with persistence)

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Difficulty in WiFi connection (AntiX with persistence)

• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated May 2-7:09 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Greetings to the AntiX community.
    I am a new user in this forum, but some years ago I was registered with the same nickname in the old forum at Freeforums.org

The hard disk of my old laptop (Samsung NP300E5X-A04) broke and I, waiting for a new hard disk, installed AntiX with persistence on a USB memory stick.
    Everything works fine except the WiFi connection. Connman sometimes sees wifi networks but a couple of minutes later it no longer sees them and only detects the Ethernet connection.
    Previously, MX-Linux and Ubuntu – installed on the hdd – recognized wifi networks without difficulty, so my PC’s WiFi card is well recognized.
    Both Ubuntu and MX (if I remember correctly) use the “network-manager” package.

Antix uses Connman and Ceni, which I know very little about and I apparently can’t get to work.
    I read on the Antix website that Wicd is also present, but that in live use (from memory stick, as is my case) it is disabled. According to the instructions, when starting the system, I should select F4 and enable Wicd.
    In the past I used Wicd with other distros on this PC and I had no difficulty: I could try it on Antix, but at boot the F4 key does not offer me a “Wicd” entry.

Please, can you help me or to activate Wicd or to make the wifi work with the other tools available?
    Keep in mind that I need to change the type of network connection several times a day, switching from ethernet to wifi.

Thank you for your help. 🙂

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Wifi with connman – antiX 19.2

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

XecureXecure

You may have guessed already, but MX Linux, Ubuntu and antiX linux DONT use the same kernel. As you know, drivers for devices are handled by the kernel.
    Please, connect a wifi USB adapter if you have one (or connect using the Ethernet cable) and provide the terminal output of
    inxi -Fxnz
    and
    inxi -Nxxx

so me can figure out if you need a newer kernel version (can be installed using the package installer with a alternative network connection), which will probably solve the problem, or if we need to investigate this further.

Regards.

fatmacfatmac

I just click on ‘wifi’ twice, in the connman gui, wait a couple of seconds for all available connections, then go to ‘Wireless’, & set it up.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

I just click on ‘wifi’ twice, in the connman gui, wait a couple of seconds for all available connections, then go to ‘Wireless’, & set it up.

Agree, +1

Brian Masinick

First of all, I apologize for the delay in answering: I have had many unexpected difficulties these days.

I thank everyone for the help and especially for the link to the excellent video guide (thanks to Xecure).
    I followed it step by step and I think I have solved my difficulties: now I can connect with Connman both via Ethernet and via WiFi, and change from one to the other several times a day.
    Sometimes it happens that Connman no longer sees WiFi networks, but it is enough to close its graphical interface and restart it from the Control Center and wait a couple of minutes or less.

Thanks for your help. 🙂

PS: I don’t know how to change the header to add the tag [solved].

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by belf.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by belf.

I thank everyone for the help and especially for the link to the excellent video guide (thanks to Xecure).
    I followed it step by step and I think I have solved my difficulties: now I can connect with Connman both via Ethernet and via WiFi, and change from one to the other several times a day.
    Sometimes it happens that Connman no longer sees WiFi networks, but it is enough to close its graphical interface and restart it from the Control Center and wait a couple of minutes or less.

Having your issue with WiFi connection solved with Xecure’s and others’ help, if I understand correctly from the above, sometimes Connman still no longer sees WiFi networks and you either restart interface or wait for networks to appear…
    I never mentioned this, but my observation is the same. Connman appears to sometimes lose the list of available networks, although I would check if the existing established already connection is still live.
    I am using antiX Live on multiple USB sticks on all my laptops, using Network Manager as default and Connman as backup, as neither seems rock solid reliable on antiX Live.
    Namely: After boot Network Manager often takes long time to establish WiFi connection, retrying continuously until successful. This is on the same machine and the same network as prior boot. If it takes too long I launch Connman to help, then close CMST from system tray, leaving just Network Manager in the tray.
    I do not know if these pecularities of WiFi connection managers are specific to just antiX Live or installed as well, as I am running just various instances of Live on my laptops, but as you mentioned in the first post I have not observed such behavior with some other distros running using Network Manager.
    I am not raising an issue here, as I have a workaround. I am just adding my observations to the topic…

Personally I have not had problems with Connman in my installed configurations, but now that you mention it, when I’ve been running live, sometimes (without any particular pattern or frequency that I’ve been able to detect) the wireless networks in the community where I live do not appear to be active. We have a lot of building construction going on, so I don’t concern myself; I just reboot. But when I think about it, most of these occurrences come when running antiX 21 a2 live.

I’ll try to find a reproducible scenario; so far, rebooting just works.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian Masinick

I don’t concern myself; I just reboot. But when I think about it, most of these occurrences come when running antiX 21 a2 live.

Just to add to my observation, this is running 19.2 Hannie Schaft in my case. If this also happens with antiX 21 a2 Live, then there might be something to look at, so at least antiX 21 gets closer to perfection. Again to stress, this is just report my observation, not to raise issue from my side, as I do have a workaround. I have both Connman and Network Manager installed in case one of them decides to act up…

I’m running antiX 21 live now.

Been running live for a couple of hours. Zero issues today.

That’s why I thought it was a local, construction issue. It’s Sunday here, not a work day, so that still has me thinking it’s not an antiX 21 issue here.

Moreover I never had an issue with any installed release. Connman works for me.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.