[Solved] Difficulty installing an Epson Scanner

Forum Forums General Hardware [Solved] Difficulty installing an Epson Scanner

• This topic has 20 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Aug 20-3:29 pm by mikey777.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    mikey777

I have an old scanner, an Epson Perfection V500.
    I’m able to successfully install it on Debian10+LXDE, where it works with both the simplescan and iscan gui-based apps.
    However, on the same laptop, I’m having problems with it installing on antix19.4-core+LXDE. This is the output from
    terminal of my unsuccessful attempt at installing the V500, even though the method is identical to the one I used for Debian10. The problem with antix19.4core appears to be unmet dependencies:

asus@X71Q:~
    $ cd /home/asus/Desktop
    asus@X71Q:~/Desktop
    $ tar xaf iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb.tar.gz
    asus@X71Q:~/Desktop
    $ cd iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb
    asus@X71Q:~/Desktop/iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb
    $ ./install.sh
    Get:1 http://security.debian.org buster/updates InRelease [65.4 kB]
    Get:2 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports InRelease [46.7 kB]        
    Hit:3 http://mxlinux.mirrors.uk2.net/packages/antix/buster buster InRelease    
    Hit:4 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian buster-updates InRelease                 
    Hit:5 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian buster InRelease                         
    Fetched 112 kB in 1s (97.6 kB/s)                                               
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     gvfs-daemons : Depends: udisks2
     libpolkit-gobject-consolekit-1-0 : Depends: consolekit but it is not going to be installed
    E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

What would be the best way to fix this?

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by mikey777.

antix19.4-core+LXDE installed on the following:
    (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
    (2008) Asus X71Q – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Graphics: Intel Mobile 4 Series (Integrated)
    (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. Graphics: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

You know that debian=systemd and antiX=sysvinit (or runit, but mostly sysvinit).
    You know that debian=recommends and antiX=only-depends

When there is something you cannot get working on antiX-core+(etc.), please first test antiX full instead of comparing it to Debian+(etc.).
    For printing, you need cups. For scanning, you probably need sane/libsane.

gvfs-daemons : Depends: udisks2
     libpolkit-gobject-consolekit-1-0 : Depends: consolekit but it is not going to be installed
    E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

Does this program expect systemd? It is trying to install something related to consolekit. Does your system run consolekit or elogind?

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

mikey777
    Helpful
    Up

@Xecure
    Many thanks for your solid advice – I’d overlooked the systemd issue.
    As you recommend, I’ll use antiX-full in future instead of Debian, for testing any non-antiX software first, before using it on my antixcore+LXDE.

Using dpkg –list in the terminal, it appears consolekit is not installed, but elogind is, i.e. version 246.10-2.0antix1 amd64.
    Would installing consolekit be expected to mess-up an antix system in any hidden or obvious ways?

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by mikey777.

(2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
    (2008) Asus X71Q – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Graphics: Intel Mobile 4 Series (Integrated)
    (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. Graphics: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Xecure wrote: For printing, you need cups. For scanning, you probably need sane/libsane.

For scanning you must add your user to saned group too,
    you can do that with control center tool or user manager.

For almost all Epson scanners sane xsane works perfectly.
    Some devices may have a scan button, my experience with that is try and forget,
    just use xsane, make a preview scan, set borders and resolution, scan.

For Multiple Function devices it is always better to do a bit of research before buying, some will also need
    specific manufacturer provided software as does my Brother MFC monster 6700DW.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by ModdIt.
    mikey777
    Helpful
    Up

@Moddit
    Thanks Moddit. I already have sane installed, so this doesn’t appear to be an issue. As Xecure mentioned, and the terminal output (above) indicates, it seems to be more about dependencies, related to switching from a systemd setup (Debian10, where it worked) to an non-systemd setup (antix) where it didn’t work.

The bit you mention about adding ‘user’ to saned group – I didn’t know about this as haven’t needed to bother about this before, but will take another look.

When my Epson scanner gets too old, I’m going to buy an HP one, as many HP models appear to be very well supported in Linux. Printers also seem better supported for HP, e.g. software for showing ink levels, etc.

mikey777
    Helpful
    Up

@Xecure
    I repeated the installation of the Epson Perfection V500 scanner, but this time on antix-full, as you suggested.
    The errors, at the end of the terminal output, are a bit different this time round:

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

libeudev1 : Conflicts: libudev1 (< 232:246:3.2.9.1.0antix4)

I’ve checked dpkg –list: it shows libudev1 isn’t installed, but libeudev1 is. So does the above conflict mean that libeudev1 needs deleting, and replaced with a libudev1 version which is earlier than version 232 – is my interpretation correct?

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

had to grin, just tried same on 19.4 and runit bullseye, got same error. Wondering if linking the libs would kelp.

My anchient epson scanner does not need to have firmware uploaded to it for function so just works , hope it lasts forever..

mikey777
    Helpful
    Up

had to grin, just tried same on 19.4 and runit bullseye, got same error. Wondering if linking the libs would help.
    My ancient epson scanner does not need to have firmware uploaded to it for function so just works , hope it lasts forever..

What’s your setup with your epson scanner, i.e. antix edition that it’s running on, etc ?

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

antiX-19.2_x64-full here.
    This way it worked for me to install iscan-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb
    First

sudo apt install xsltproc

Then look in the extracxted iscan-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb-folder, there is a data-folder. Go there and install the iscan-data_1.39.2-1_all.deb

sudo apt install iscan-data_1.39.2-1_all.deb

In the extracted iscan-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb-folder there is also a core-folder. Go there and install the iscan_2.30.4-2_amd64.deb

sudo apt install iscan_2.30.4-2_amd64.deb

For internet access you need the plugins-folder, too. Go there and install the

sudo apt install iscan-network-nt_1.1.2-1_amd64.deb

This workes without depency problems.

Edit: On antiX-core you sure need to install sane-utils , simple-scan and libsane

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by caprea.
    ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

@mikey my scanner is an epson perfection 1650, it has up to now always just worked with sane xsane.
    Famous last words maybe, that device is very old.
    I also have a mustek bear paw something, same goes for that one, it does not work on windoze 10 so freebie for me.
    My brother mfc needs the propriety driver pack otherwise fine.

mikey777
    Helpful
    Up

First …

This looks great – will try this later today – many thanks caprea

mikey777
    Helpful
    Up

@mikey my scanner is an epson perfection 1650, it has up to now always just worked with sane xsane.
    Famous last words maybe, that device is very old.
    I also have a mustek bear paw something, same goes for that one, it does not work on windoze 10 so freebie for me.
    My brother mfc needs the propriety driver pack otherwise fine.

It’s great that you have three scanners that work.
    You mentioned that you’d got similar errors to me, when at least one of your scanners was installed on antix19.4.
    The question is, what OS & edition/version are your Epson and Mustek scanners working on, without the need for additional hardware drivers ? I’m intrigued.

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Well, I can tell you I have working an Mustek Scan Express 12000 SP Scanner, which is connected via real SCSI port. All I had to do in antiX 17.4.1 and 19.x was to connect the scanner device physically, set the jumpers/switches at its backside to Channel 0, ID 6, LUN 0.

In order to work, it is absolutely necessary to power on the scanner before you boot the system, otherwise it will not function.

If you want to be able to activate the scanner later only, from within a running system, you need to install an additional tool:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install scsitools

Now you can power up the scanner at any time, even after your PC is booted already.

In case scanner is not found, you simply need to enter

sudo rescan-scsi-bus

SimpleScan will see the scanner immediately.

So this old Mustek scanner works out of the box, on antiX 17.4.1 and 19.x full (32bit). No need to install any additional drivers or firmware. It works even faster and with better results compared with the results it delivers based on its original proprietary MS-Windows drivers on a Windows System…

Since most scanners, connected to Parallel port or USB work internally on SCSI also, this piece of Information might help to solve your problems of nonfunctional scanner devices not connected to a SCSI port also.

Robin

mikey777
    Helpful
    Up

First

sudo apt install xsltproc

Then look in the extracted iscan-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb-folder, there is a data-folder. Go there and install the iscan-data_1.39.2-1_all.deb

sudo apt install iscan-data_1.39.2-1_all.deb

Many thanks caprea – I was heartened that it worked for you on antix19.2-full, and it gave me some hope.
    I tried what you suggested in post #64849 on antix19.4-full (icewm), but installation of software seems to stumble at the beginning with the installation of the 1.39 data package. I don’t know what’s going wrong. Needless to say, this is the output from terminal:

asus@X71Q:~
    $ cd /home/asus/Documents
    asus@X71Q:~/Documents
    $ cd iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb/data
    asus@X71Q:~/Documents/iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb/data
    $ ls
    iscan-data_1.39.2-1_all.deb
    asus@X71Q:~/Documents/iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb/data
    $ sudo apt install iscan-data_1.39.2-1_all.deb
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package iscan-data_1.39.2-1_all.deb
    E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'iscan-data_1.39.2-1_all.deb'
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'iscan-data_1.39.2-1_all.deb'

I don’t understand why the terminal is unable to locate iscan-data_1.39.2-1_all.deb from within the data folder,
    as I’ve pointed it to it ..???

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

use the dpkg command instead of apt-get command while in that Documents folder. Or the data folder if it is inside of documents folder with that .deb sitting there. I guess the data folder is in the .deb so ignore it.

sudo dpkg -i iscan-data_1.39.2-1_all.deb

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.