[Solved] Difficulty installing an Epson Scanner

Forum Forums General Hardware [Solved] Difficulty installing an Epson Scanner

• This topic has 20 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Aug 20-3:29 pm by mikey777.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    mikey777
    Helpful
    Up

Well, I can tell you I have working an Mustek Scan Express 12000 SP Scanner, which is connected via real SCSI port. All I had to do in antiX 17.4.1 and 19.x was to connect the scanner device physically, set the jumpers/switches at its backside to Channel 0, ID 6, LUN 0.
    In order to work, it is absolutely necessary to power on the scanner before you boot the system, otherwise it will not function.
    If you want to be able to activate the scanner later only, from within a running system, you need to install an additional tool:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install scsitools

Now you can power up the scanner at any time, even after your PC is booted already …

Many thanks Robin.

It seems that the Mustek scanner worked for you more or less ‘out-of-the-box’, as it did for Moddit, without the complication of additional software. Mustek seems quite different from Epson, the latter appearing to need a lot of tweaking with extra software, etc to get the scanner to work.

My Epson scanner works on Debian10, but not on antiX (neither on the core nor the full 19.4 editions). Unfortunately, the scsitools app you suggested didn’t work in getting the scanner up & running. Also the Epson scanner doesn’t appear to have the jumpers/switches for adjustment, that are on the Mustek.

It would be a bit of a pain to have my laptop dual-booted i.e. antiX for my day-to-day tasks and Debian for my scanner! But that’s the way it’s looking at the moment, as I’m unable to get the scanner working on antiX.

Thanks again for your thoughts – much appreciated.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by mikey777.

antix19.4-core+LXDE installed on the following:
    (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
    (2008) Asus X71Q – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Graphics: Intel Mobile 4 Series (Integrated)
    (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. Graphics: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671

mikey777
    Helpful
    Up

use the dpkg command instead of apt-get command while in that Documents folder.

Many thanks rokytnji, using dpkg instead of apt greatly improved things – I think I’m almost (almost …) there.

The good news is that sudo scanimage -L showed the identity of my scanner for the first time, even though the xsane, skanlite or simple scan desktop buttons are still not detecting the scanner when clicked. Scanimage shows this:

asus@X71Q:~$ sudo scanimage -L
    device <code>epkowa:interpreter:002:002' is a Epson Perfection V500 flatbed scanner

Now the unresolved part. As usually recommended for installing the iscan software, for Epson scanners, I installed the three *.deb files in the following order: first data, then core, and lastly plugins, using dpkg as you recommended.

This time round, there were no errors shown for the core and plugins installation, which is really encouraging! However, the data one threw up the following errors at the end of this terminal output (I’m using Desktop instead of the Downloads folder used previously):

asus@X71Q:~$ cd /home/asus/Desktop
    asus@X71Q:~/Desktop$ cd iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb/data/
    asus@X71Q:~/Desktop/iscan-gt-x770-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb/data$ sudo dpkg -i iscan-data_1.39.2-1_all.deb
    [sudo] password for asus: 
    (Reading database ... 114115 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack iscan-data_1.39.2-1_all.deb ...
    Unpacking iscan-data (1.39.2-1) over (1.39.2-1) ...
    Setting up iscan-data (1.39.2-1) ...
    expr: syntax error: missing argument after ‘-’
    tail: invalid number of lines: ‘/lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules’
    Processing triggers for eudev (246:3.2.9.1.0antix4) ...

Observation:
    (1) I do not understand what “missing argument after ‘-‘” means, where to locate it and how to fix it.
    (2) I went to the file /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules but don’t understand what is meant by an “invalid number of lines”. This is how the contents of that 60-libsane.rules looks:

# This file was automatically created based on description files (*.desc)
    # by sane-desc 3.5 from sane-backends 1.0.29
    #
    # udev rules file for supported USB and SCSI devices
    #
    # For the list of supported USB devices see /usr/lib/udev/hwdb.d/20-sane.hwdb
    #
    # The SCSI device support is very basic and includes only
    # scanners that mark themselves as type "scanner" or
    # SCSI-scanners from HP and other vendors that are entitled "processor"
    # but are treated accordingly.
    #
    # If your SCSI scanner isn't listed below, you can add it to a new rules
    # file under /etc/udev/rules.d/.
    #
    # If your scanner is supported by some external backend (brother, epkowa,
    # hpaio, etc) please ask the author of the backend to provide proper
    # device detection support for your OS
    #
    # If the scanner is supported by sane-backends, please mail the entry to
    # the sane-devel mailing list (sane-devel@alioth-lists.debian.net).
    #
    ACTION!="add", GOTO="libsane_rules_end"

# The following rule will disable USB autosuspend for the device
    ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ENV{libsane_matched}=="yes", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"

SUBSYSTEMS=="scsi", GOTO="libsane_scsi_rules_begin"
    GOTO="libsane_rules_end"

LABEL="libsane_scsi_rules_begin"
    KERNEL!="sg[0-9]*", GOTO="libsane_rules_end"

# Generic: SCSI device type 6 indicates a scanner
    ATTRS{type}=="6", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# Some scanners advertise themselves as SCSI device type 3

# Wildcard: for some Epson SCSI scanners
    ATTRS{type}=="3", ATTRS{vendor}=="EPSON", ATTRS{model}=="SCANNER*", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# Epson Expression 800 | Epson Expression 800
    ATTRS{type}=="3", ATTRS{vendor}=="EPSON", ATTRS{model}=="Expression800", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# Epson Perfection 2450 | Epson GT-9700F | Epson Perfection 2450 PHOTO
    ATTRS{type}=="3", ATTRS{vendor}=="EPSON", ATTRS{model}=="GT-9700", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# Epson Perfection 3200 | Epson GT-9800F | Epson Perfection 3200 PHOTO
    ATTRS{type}=="3", ATTRS{vendor}=="EPSON", ATTRS{model}=="GT-9800", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# Epson GT-X900 | Epson Perfection V700 Photo | Epson Perfection V750 Photo
    ATTRS{type}=="3", ATTRS{vendor}=="EPSON", ATTRS{model}=="GT-X900", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# Epson Perfection 636S | Epson Perfection 1200S | Epson Perfection 1200S
    ATTRS{type}=="3", ATTRS{vendor}=="EPSON", ATTRS{model}=="Perfection1200", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# Epson Perfection 636 | Epson Perfection 636S
    ATTRS{type}=="3", ATTRS{vendor}=="EPSON", ATTRS{model}=="Perfection636", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4p
    ATTRS{type}=="3", ATTRS{vendor}=="HP", ATTRS{model}=="C1130A", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# Hewlett-Packard ScanJet IIc
    ATTRS{type}=="3", ATTRS{vendor}=="HP", ATTRS{model}=="C1750A", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# Hewlett-Packard ScanJet IIp
    ATTRS{type}=="3", ATTRS{vendor}=="HP", ATTRS{model}=="C1790A", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# Hewlett-Packard ScanJet IIcx
    ATTRS{type}=="3", ATTRS{vendor}=="HP", ATTRS{model}=="C2500A", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4c
    ATTRS{type}=="3", ATTRS{vendor}=="HP", ATTRS{model}=="C2520A", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 5p
    ATTRS{type}=="3", ATTRS{vendor}=="HP", ATTRS{model}=="C5110A", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 6200C
    ATTRS{type}=="3", ATTRS{vendor}=="HP", ATTRS{model}=="C6270A", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 6300C
    ATTRS{type}=="3", ATTRS{vendor}=="HP", ATTRS{model}=="C7670A", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

LABEL="libsane_rules_end"

Does “invalid number of lines” refer to the scanner models listed in this file. I notice the Epson Perfection V500 is not listed so should I add this but delete all the other models?

Many thanks for your continued help and interest with this issue. When fixed (I hope), I’ll post a tutorial on the forum for others.

(2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
    (2008) Asus X71Q – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Graphics: Intel Mobile 4 Series (Integrated)
    (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. Graphics: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Did you check if this question is related?
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1038557/ubuntu-18-04-scanner-program-does-not-detect-scanner

Another thread for the Epson Perfection V500 Photo – https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php?topic=8127.0

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Xecure.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

mikey777
    Helpful
    Up

@caprea
    See my reply & progress made to rokytnji in post #65000, i.e. Core & Plugins installed fine, but have problems with Data.
    I don’t know if you have anymore thoughts on this. I have a couple of older data packages – maybe the Epson Perfection V500 scanner could be listed
    there as it’s not listed in the file location /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules of the installed 1.39 version you and I have used. But, as you said, you managed to install the V500 on antix19.2-full so there must be a way … logically there has to be …

mikey777
    Helpful
    Up

Another thread for the Epson Perfection V500 Photo – https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php?topic=8127.0

Many thanks Xecure, for this link. I used the part below (slightly modified) to conclude successful installation of the Epson Perfection V500 scanner.

First a symbolic link is created :

# ln -sf /usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane

Next a file is created in the /etc/udev/rules.d folder and named 79-udev-epson.rules:

# leafpad /etc/udev/rules.d/79-udev-epson.rules

The following text is added to the file, the file then saved:

# chmod device EPSON group
    ATTRS{manufacturer}=="EPSON", DRIVERS=="usb", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04b8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="*", MODE="0777"

… followed by full shutdown, then reboot. All scanner icons then worked when clicked, i.e. simple scan, scanlite, xsane & image scan.

Many thanks to all of you who’ve helped with this scanner installation – without your comments & guidance I’d be completely stumped! Over the next week or so I’ll write an easy-to-follow tutorial to make it a bit easier for anyone else wishing to install a ‘difficult scanner’.

Please could the forum moderator mark this post as [Solved] – many thanks!
    I’m unable to do it, as the edit button has disappeared from the first post, unless I’m missing something …

mikey777
    Helpful
    Up

If you want a clear and easy-to-follow tutorial on how to install the Epson Perfection V500 scanner, as well as some other Epson and HP Scanjet models, then see the following link:

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/install-an-epson-perfection-v500-scanner-others-on-antix19-4-core/

This link contains useful details that I haven’t mentioned in this thread.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by mikey777.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.