Disabling Pipewire in antiX-23

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Disabling Pipewire in antiX-23

• This topic has 72 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated Oct 25-2:22 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    PPC

@anti-apXos – sorry I missed your post :-(
      @abc-nix – thanks for picking up the script and make it work even better. I can’t wait to see the end result…

PS: My “general toggle script for antiX” template, that I used to build toggle_pipewire script needs some improvement, mainly, only doing something when the user clicks the toggle button – I am aware of that, but I was too burned from all the small additions I was trying to get included on antiX-23… It was the best possible GUI I could come up with then…

P.

PPC

Because I got curious of how well the adapted script would work. It seems flawless- I can toggle on-the-fly between alsa and pipewire, no need to restart. I check what audio server I’m running using the cli volume manager, performing the Control Centre audio test and also opening PAVU… So far, so good…
        I attach a very initial revised version of the script, for anyone that wants to test it…

P.

EDIT: This is probably the ideal way to solve any problem the audio server is giving users… just toggle it on and off again (or the opposite, if the user is having problems with Alsa).
        I basically just adjusted the script to include the new code and removed the “restart” button…

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by PPC.
        stevesr0

Hi PPC, anti-apXos and abc-nix,

It is neat that the “Pipewire saga” is evolving to a an easy to use switch on/off approach that allows even noobies to try and choose the thing that works best for them.

Thank you, folks.

stevesr0

Brian Masinick

@stevesr0 Thanks for your comment, and thank you to @PPC, @anti-apXos, @abc-nix, and everyone who participated in the discussion, development, and testing of both the original works and the updated tool. Excellent work!

--
            Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
            anticapitalista

Is pipewire-start script needed?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

abc-nix

Hi, PPC. I checked your script and it mostly works. I made a mistake in the other topic and alsactl should use the option -F (capital F) instead of -f.

I have restructured the script a bit and added some checks. I hope you don’t mind, @ppc. The changes are:
                – Separated sudo and non-sudo logic. GKSUDO is only needed if the user tries to toggle pipewire on/off. If the password is wrong or the user exits the password window, no changes will take place. This is an insurance so that things don’t get half enabled/disabled.
                – Main window is a single function, contents change if pipewire (the program) is running or not (doesn’t depend on if pipewire is enabled in the startup or not).
                – Always disables pipewire-start if the toggle switch is pressed. It will replace it with a custom pipewire & command if no other pipewire & command is present.
                – Will remove or add the pipewire conf files to /etc/alsa/conf.d/ (will always check if they are present before creating or deleting the symlink).
                – Will restart volumeicon only if it was already running.

Most changes are organizing things into different functions, checking if files or startup strings are present, and making various checks before major edits in the system. Also, pipewire-start will no longer be needed. If a user hasn’t changed the pipewire-start startup command and this script is removed from antiX, they can easily fix the pipewire issue by running the toggle_pipewire script and toggle pipewire “ON”. It will fix the startup file for them.

EDIT: Tested and worked perfectly on wayland.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by abc-nix.
                • This reply was modified 9 months ago by abc-nix. Reason: rewrite the post for clarity
                • This reply was modified 9 months ago by abc-nix. Reason: works on wayland
                Attachments:
                PPC

Not really, to have pipewire working… BUT the toggle script kind of expects that entry to be on antiX’s startup file…
                  EDIT: it seems abc-nix already thought about that detail too…

P.

PPC

@abc-nix – I already reported this a while ago – on my devices, if pavu is running, sometimes the control centre’s sound test does not work when we switch on pipewire. My suggestion, if anyone notices that too is that, when the script toggles pipewire off, it should do a “kill pavucontrol”, just to avoid that problem.

EDIT: if anyone else wants to “test drive” abc-nix’s script, the procedure is easy: download his compressed file, uncompressed it, place the script that is inside it in your user’s home. Then antiX Menu > Terminal and run this command, to have it replace the default script, that comes out of the box in antiX 23:

#First back-up the original script, just to be on the safe side
                    sudo cp /usr/local/bin/toggle_pipewire /usr/local/bin/toggle_pipewire.back-up
                    #Replace the original script with the new version, that is on your user's home folder
                    sudo cp ~/toggle_pipewire  /usr/local/bin/toggle_pipewire

When you run the Pipewire Toggle script, it will be this new version.

If, for some reason you want to restore the original version of the script, run, from the terminal:
                    sudo cp /usr/local/bin/toggle_pipewire.back-up /usr/local/bin/toggle_pipewire

P.

Brian Masinick

Not really, to have pipewire working… BUT the toggle script kind of expects that entry to be on antiX’s startup file…

P.

I think it’s better to keep the script in place; it’s difficult to keep track of which tool to use on any given day; having the original script in place therefore makes sense (at least to me).

--
                      Brian Masinick

PPC

@anticapitalista – I think that, when the final version of the script’s package is updated, this may be a feature relevant enough to be on Control Centre’s “Hardware” Tab, in antix 23 Full… It’s where most people expect to see something like this, not just in the “accessories menu”, right? It’s just a tiny usability detail, you know I can be a nag about that kind of stuff, sorry. EDIT: the C.C. entry doesn’t even have to be localized… something like “Pipewire/Alsa” will make it perfectly clear what the entry manages
                        Edit: I attach the perfect icon, from pipewire’s git

P.

Attachments:
                        PPC

@all – if some more people test abc-nix’s proposed script, I think it should be commited to antiX’s git, to be included in a future update of antiX’s packages, so anyone can use it…

@abc-nix I propose you wait for a couple of days more (to see if anyone has problems with the script) and then do the commit yourself, since it’s your updated version of the script. You can do so here: https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/yad-goodies/-/blob/main/bin/toggle_pipewire

P.

abc-nix

Thanks, PPC, for approving the changes. We shall wait a bit for more feedback and I will send the merge request this weekend.

Brian Masinick

I’ve checked out both the old @PPC and newer @abc-nix versions; both work, but I think we’re in agreement that the updated tool is more complete and works effectively.
                              When others have also tested, I’m fine with moving forward; this is useful for those who want to try pipewire or revert to an ALSA based sound solution; from what I can tell, we have both; for me the pipewire stuff works best, but I understand that’s not true for everyone, so this effort should satisfy more people; please provide your feedback to these helpful individuals so we can add another lightweight mechanism to allow “choice”.

--
                              Brian Masinick

marcelocripe

I tested the abc-nix version yesterday and today following the PPC instructions.
                                The first computer obtained sound with both PipeWire and ALSA.
                                The second computer is a very specific case, I had never managed to get the sound on it with antiX 19 and 21 (even with that version’s PipeWire). To get sound on this computer, you always had to install PulseAudio. However, antiX 23’s PipeWire was able to get the sound without PulseAudio. As I expected, when I disabled PipeWire and enabled ALSA, the sound stopped working.
                                I hope other people can help with testing, because when I was able to control the sound with AlsaMixer when I disabled PipeWire. And with another click, I activated PipeWire again and was able to control the sound with PavuControl, I thought, “there are only geniuses in the antiX community”.
                                Many thanks to everyone involved in this solution.

– – – – –

Eu testei ontem e hoje a versão do abc-nix seguindo as instruções do PPC.
                                O primeiro computador obteve o som tanto com o PipeWire, quanto com o ALSA.
                                O segundo computador é um caso bem específico, eu nunca havia conseguido obter o som nele com o antiX 19 e 21 (mesmo com o PipeWire daquela versão). Para obter o som neste computador, sempre era necessário instalar o PulseAudio. Contudo, o PipeWire do antiX 23 conseguiu obter o som sem o PulseAudio. Conforme eu esperava, quando desativei o PipeWire e ativei o ALSA, o som parou de funcionar.
                                Eu espero que outras pessoas possam ajudar com os testes, porque quando eu consegui controlar o som com o AlsaMixer quando desativei o PipeWire. E com um outro clique, eu ativei novamente o PipeWire e consegui controlar o som com o PavuControl, eu pensei, “só têm gênios na comunidade do antiX”.
                                Muito obrigado a todos os envolvidos nesta solução.

stevesr0

I just tested the new abc-nix toggle-Pipewire script. It doesn’t seem to EVER disable Pipewire ??!

When I run the command, a toggle window with a green oval inside launches. When I click on the oval, nothing happens except an information popup that says Pipewire is the sound server and will start at the next boot. When I click the x box, the window closes. When I reboot, Pipewire is STILL working.

The only difference with this script is that a volume control icon has appeared and I can launch alsamixer as one of the choices and it doesn’t list Pipewire as its server but rather the built in audio.

**Changing alsamixer’s settings HAS NO EFFECT on headphone volume, BUT it and PAVU BOTH alter the volume of the built in speakers.

Am I misunderstanding and is this the expected and desired behavior? That is, does this allow ALSA and Pipewire to coexist rather than either ALSA alone or Pipewire working thru ALSA? Or are my results unexpected and not desired?

OR, have I managed to make a mistake in following PPC’s instructions in POST #120676 using abc-nix’s script from his POST # 120671.

stevesr0

• This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by stevesr0.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.