Disabling Pipewire in antiX-23

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Disabling Pipewire in antiX-23

• This topic has 72 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated Oct 25-2:22 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

Hmm.
      If someone wants to toggle off pipewire via pipewire-toggle script, then ~/.config/volumeicon/volumeicon file needs to be edited too.

onclick=pavucontrol
      is ok for pipewire but not alsa so it needs to change to
      onclick=desktop-defaults-run -t alsamixer

Of course toggling back to pipewire will need to revert to
      onclick=pavucontrol

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

abc-nix

Thanks, anticapitalista.

I will send a merge request to fix the volumeicon config during the week.

Thanks for all your hard work.

stevesr0

Hi anticapitalista and abc-nix,

Will this change be incorporated in a newscript or is something that a user needs to do manually if they toggle off or on?

Also, will this require people who have already modified their scripts in accord with abc-nix’s and PPC’s work to install the (to be modified) antix-pipewire-extras package?

stevesr0

PPC

@stevesr0 – As far as I noticed, the changes were incorporated automatically, as soon as we do a package update. It seems there is no need to manually do anything.
            If someone has audio problems with pipewire, on an updated system, just use pipewire-toggle to switch Pipewire off (enter your password, if asked to) and switch Pipewire back on…
            This, like anticapitalista noticed was required, also makes sure that, when using Pipewire, if you right click on volumeicon (on the system tray) and select “Open mixer”, Pavucontrol pops open (and not the old terminal GUI).

EDIT:
            Suggestion to @anticapitalista and to @abc-nix – when toggling Pipewire off, volumeicon’s options should be set to open the cli alsa mixer when the user clicks “Open mixer” in volumeicon… it seems this change is only one way (i.e., sets Pavicontrol as mixer permanently)

P.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by PPC.
            • This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by PPC.
            stevesr0

Hi PPC,

On my first boot, I didn’t see a volumeicon on the system tray. After turning pipewire off and rebooting it is there and opening the mixer shows the expected default screens. after toggling Pipewire back on, the volume icon persists but when I launch mixer, it shows Pipewire. But PAVUCONTROL runs independently of the volumeicon on the system bar on my system.

stevesr0

UPDATE:

After several reboots of my system, it seems that a volumne icon appears if I start with Pipewire toggled off and persistes if I toggle Pipewire on. On my system, when I click on the volume icon, it ALWAYS opens the volume icon red vertical volume control, never PAVUCONTROL. When I boot with Pipewire toggled on then the volume icon doesn’t appear, even if I toggle Pipewire off.

ADDENDUM: I have volumeicon-alsa-legacy installed. Is this the “correct” volumeicon package for antiX-23?

CORRECTION: I also have volumeicon-alsa-icons installed.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by stevesr0.
              stevesr0

Correction to my last post.

If I boot with Pipewire on, there is no volumeicon in the system tray.

Unless I “manipulate” Alsamixer. First, I launch Alsamixer. It displays just a few Pipewire sliders. BUT, If I use F6 to select the built in audio, the typical Alsamixer screen appears with many sliders AND a volumeicon appears on the system tray.
                The volumeicon persists even after closing the Alsamixer.

stevesr0

Robin

If I boot with Pipewire on, there is no volumeicon in the system tray.

Interesting. For me it’s just the other way around, if I disable pipewire I don’t have any way to control the volume: alsamixer refuses to start with an error message (something like host not found) and volumeicon script as well fails to come up with a similar error. Only when reactivating pipewire the volume control (the pulse audio control) works, and the volume icon in system tray is back.

Generally for me pipewire as set up in antiX 23 works fine, didn’t notice any drawback which would force me to disable it – at least not on this 64 bit hardware. Will see during next weeks how it performs on the 32 bit single core notebook once I can manage to update that device with antiX 23. Maybe then I’ll be forced to disable it and the instructions found in this thread will be really helpful then. Many thanks for discussing it!

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

abc-nix

Robin, what version of antix-pipewier-extra do you have installed? The issue you reported related to switching off pipewire should be fixed and included in antix-pipewire-extras version 0.2.1

Robin

I have set up the complete antiX 23 system (runit 64 bit full) from scratch only yesterday and did a full apt-get upgrade before remastering the USB-device (by now I’ve run the alpha test version still due to lack of time). So I was under the impression everything should be up to date, but… Looking now for antix-pipewire-extras actually reveals this is 0.1.1 only. I reckon it was updated to 0.2.1 just after I did the apt-upgrade? Whatever the reason is, why I still have 0.1.1, I’ll update again as soon as possible and let you know whether I could switch off pipewire then, even when I don’t see any reason for now to do so in everyday usage: Even qsynth/fluidsynth and VMPK do work fine just like on plain ALSA before.

Just one additional remark: When configuring qsynth, there is an option in the pulldown menu of its audio config tab to select pipewire. But selecting this results in error starting the midi server. I had to select pulseaudio for output, obviously using the pipewire pulse-emulation to make it work. I guess this is not what is intended.

11:14:07.267 Qsynth1: Erzeuge Audiotreiber (pipewire)...
                      11:14:07.271 Qsynth1: Fehler beim Erzeugen des Audiotreibers (pipewire). Kann nicht ohne ihn fortfahren.
                      [E] pw.context [pipewire.c:255 load_spa_handle()] load lib: plugin directory undefined, set SPA_PLUGIN_DIR
                      [E] pw.loop [loop.c:83 pw_loop_new()] 0x55aadc100190: can't make support.system handle: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
                      fluidsynth: error: Failed to allocate PipeWire loop. Have you called pw_init() ?
                      11:15:44.709 Qsynth1: Entlade Soundfont: "/usr/share/sounds/sf2/default-GM.sf2" (SFID=1)...
                      11:15:44.743 Qsynth1: Beende Synthesizer-Klangmodul...
                      11:15:44.746 Qsynth1: Synthesizer-Klangmodul beendet.

(Free) re-translation back to English of the German parts of the above message output:

Erzeuge Audiotreiber (pipewire)… = Creating audio driver (pipewire)…
                      Fehler beim Erzeugen des Audiotreibers (pipewire). Kann nicht ohne ihn fortfahren. = Error creating audio driver (pipewire). Can’t proceed without it.
                      Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden = file or directory not found
                      Entlade Soundfont: = Dismissing soundfont: …
                      Beende Synthesizer-Klangmodul… = Stopping synthesizer sound module…
                      Synthesizer-Klangmodul beendet. = Synthesizer sound module stopped.

I guess I’ll have to read the pipewire manual first to get familiar with pipewire and find out what this pw_init thing is about as mentioned in the error message. Until then I’ll simply use the pulse emulation, which does the job obviously. Sure, I had a brief look at https://docs.pipewire.org/page_spa_plugins.html already, but this is way above my paygrade. Actually I can’t make anything of it by now, it seems to be written for programmers only.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

marcelocripe

Sure, I had a brief look at https://docs.pipewire.org/page_spa_plugins.html already, but this is way above my paygrade. Actually I can’t make anything of it by now, it seems to be written for programmers only.

It’s just another manual so no one can understand it.

É mais um manual para ninguém conseguir entender.

PPC

The documents over at https://docs.pipewire.org/index.html are not really meant for the end user, but are more fore developers.

Basically, to use pipewire, all the end user has to do is install it and it’s related packages (already installed in antiX 23 Full editions); correctly configure the way pipewire and all it’s related services start (already done in the latest antiX 23 updates) and enjoy audio, working on all apps (but, according to some reports, with less quality, when using high quality speakers), managing audio with pavucontrol and/or volumeicon.

antiX 23 Full includes it’s own simple GUI to toggle pipewire on/off on the fly – very useful if you want using just Alsa audio ( for better audio quality or if you just want to save a bit of system resources, on extremely under-powered devices).
                          As far as I’ve seen, antiX jumped straight from using just Alsa (that sometimes required lots of jumping through hoops) to the best implementation of Pipewire out there, bypassing Pulse Audio (that solved many problems but also caused some problems). The best thing about antiX’s Pipewire sound server is how fast it can be toggled on/off, solving almost all possible audio problems users may encounter…

P.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
                          Brian Masinick

Sure, I had a brief look at https://docs.pipewire.org/page_spa_plugins.html already, but this is way above my paygrade. Actually I can’t make anything of it by now, it seems to be written for programmers only.

It’s just another manual so no one can understand it.

É mais um manual para ninguém conseguir entender.

Marcelo, I see what you mean. This is a good article, but the words used in the document require an incredible amount of existing background and understanding. Despite the fact that I was a career software engineer with a Computer Science education, there are some current generation technology terms that I’d also have to research in order to understand it 100% percent, so I understand precisely what you mean – this is absolutely a highly specific, current generation technology document with a great number of terms and concepts to understand before anyone can appreciate what’s being discussed. I’d say that it could take anywhere from an entire day to perhaps a “semester” of learning to REALLY figure out what they are talking about!

Is there anyone in our forum who can condense and put the article cited into practical every day language that a novice can understand? I admit it would take me a while to do it myself, even with four decades of industry experience and years of university study!

--
                            Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Ah, I see that @Robin said essentially the same thing! I agree 100%! This is graduate study material as far as I am concerned!

--
                              Brian Masinick

Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.