disk manager install trouble

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” disk manager install trouble

• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Nov 8-2:07 am by seaken64.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    roland

Thanks for antiX 21, I had a trouble-free install. The new install procedure is very clear and well designed. I have so many devices and partitions I use disk manager to handle them all, but the install failed with dependency troubles. Can I assume this is simply fallout from the build and will be corrected in due course? Please see my log attachment.

I also experience the following boot problem messages, but once the boot completes everything appears to be normal.

PMP revalidation failed (errno=-5)
      COMRESET failed
      reset failed giving up
      failed to clear SEerror

The above are many times repeated but the boot finally succeeds and the pc performs normally.

I have 10 SATA ports on this mainboard, 6 on the board and 4 on an expansion card. 8 are in use, 6 for drives, 1 for a dvd and 1 for an external SATA port.

A look on the www shows the problem to be some module that handles SATA priorities or scheduling that may or may not be part of the Debian release.

Any comments will be welcomed.

Xecure

I use disk manager to handle them all, but the install failed with dependency troubles. Can I assume this is simply fallout from the build and will be corrected in due course?

No. disk-manager was a python2 app. Debian maintainers removed lots of python2 and gtk2 apps from the repos for Bullseye, considering them obsolete.
        There was talk in the MX forum of forking it and porting it to python3, but I don’t know how far they are at.

People recommend using alternatives, like gnome-disks (package name “gnome-disk-utility”), but I have no experience myself.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
        General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

roland

I installed gnome-disk-utility as Xecure suggested, but cannot find it in any menu, and the name of the package is unknown in a terminal session. Xecure has no experience of it, has anyone else used it and can point me in the right direction please?

Xecure

It has a name like “Disks” in the menus (all gnome apps use short generic names for their programs).
            You can also launch ti from terminal with
            gnome-disks

antiX Live system enthusiast.
            General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

roland

Thanks Xecure, gnome-disk-utility appears as ‘disks’ in the menus which I overlooked thinking that was something to do with the disk scanner utility.

I am a bit puzzled by the absence of disk-manager from release 21 however. I had to install it some while back when I could not mount certain partitions in the usual way, and it provides a single click mount button for each partition which I found useful, and gives a picture of the mounted status of all partitions at a glance. I hope a way will become available to install it as the release progresses. Thanks again.

Forum Admin
              anticapitalista

Latest on disk-manager fork

http://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=86&p=661479&sid=d82d9b4bd13f6cb1d527f13d6a27f6f6#p661479

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

oops

Latest on disk-manager fork

http://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=86&p=661479&sid=d82d9b4bd13f6cb1d527f13d6a27f6f6#p661479

Hello anticapitalista
                  … You link does not work here: “You are not authorised to read this forum.”

Edit: … and be careful with “gnome-disks”, it also can delete a whole partition.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by oops.
                  Forum Admin
                  anticapitalista

Ahh – It is in the dev team part of MX forum.

Basically it say this:

disk-manager source code is here: http://github.com/MX-Linux/disk-manager/tree/development

Nite Coder has done a ton of work to get the app working with a gtk3 UI.

That said, it still has some rough spots, particularly with “unchecking” a device. The popup dialog that comes up to unmount a device you are unchecking gets stuck with unresponsive buttons, but you can ESC to get out, but the main dialog doesn’t get updated. works ok if you unmount first, then uncheck.

anyway, this one needs quite a big of testing, and also new translations. also note the original author’s native language is french, and sometimes some french leaks through before the ui updates.

debs here: http://github.com/MX-Linux/disk-manager/blob/development/debs/disk-manager_21.10.01_all.deb?raw=true

one more thing…there is no upstream on this app anymore. Jerry contacted the original author some time ago, and we took it over. there is some comment blocks to update and various other things need to happen to reflect this.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

oops

… So Thank you to unhide this info 😉

Forum Admin
                      anticapitalista

If anyone wants to try disk-manager consider it as alpha not finished ie expect bugs and possible breakage.

seaken64

@roland, I know it is not as convenient as the Disk Manager app, but in the meantime you can use zzzFM to mount your drives. I was able to mount my internal drives (partitions) by starting up zzzfm from the terminal with sudo, launching a root file manager. Then show the devices. Then right click and choose Mount.

You can also try setting automount for your USB drives.

Hopefully the devs will make some progress with Disk Manager since it is a nice tool for mounting easily.

Seaken64

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.