Dist-upgrade?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by masinick Feb 11-2:34 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

mizpa

Is there any way to migrate to the next version of antiX when it is released other than apt-get dist-upgrade as we did back a few years? Just trying to be prepared ….

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Not sure what you want to do . dist-upgrade is the only way to stay current. What does your terminal say

inxi -Fxzr

Just asking because repo showing determines a bit on this thread.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

mizpa

dist-upgrade is the only way to stay current.

Thanks, that’s what I wanted to know – a while back (on another distro that I eventually gave up on) I was told we don’t use apt-get dist-upgrade any more – I always have, but I was given the impression that it would break the system … just use upgrade, they said. I’m just checking if that’s the policy with antix or not. Thanks, rocky

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

Hey mizpa,

If you’re running 17 and do apt-get update + apt-get upgrade stays 17.
    And apt-get dist-upgrade would bring it up to 19 when it is released.

Linux = Many kinds, shapes, and sizes of computers to come
    together to create the ultimate cure for curiosity, boredom,
    creativity, and asylum. 🙂
    Whether new, used, young, or ancient.

caprea
    caprea

This will not happen , I guess
    assuming antiX19 will be buster
    Anyway apt-get dist-upgrade is the recommended way on antiX

roland
    roland

Now I am completely confused. If I wish to stay with Berta Caceres for example yet keep my system updated with all running fixes and patches what do I run to achieve this? apt-get update? apt-get dist-upgrade?
    apt-get upgrade?

I want to be in charge of when I move up to Heather Heyer without it taking place without my knowledge.

Please advise.

noClue
    noClue

Simply confusing, easy complicated:

apt-get update –> does ‘nothing’, it updates the file list only
    apt-get upgrade –> does NOT ‘upgrade as in Windoze, but only does update of most (but not all) components
    apt-get dist-upgrade –> updates all (‘dangerous’ X, Grub …) components

Changing the complete release that way is not possible because of the software sources.
    As long as they point to ‘source 16’, you can’t get update files from ‘source 17’.
    You can exchange release from 16 to 17 if you change the source to 17 first.
    Then you execute those commands again und you get updates for v.17.

* This meant to be just an ‘easy explain’ for general principle understanding.

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

I want to be in charge of when I move up to Heather Heyer without it taking place without my knowledge.

Please advise.

You already are. We (antiX devs) have not ‘forced’ a change in repos for example from antiX-16 (jessie) to antiX-17 (stretch). Users have to do it themselves, if they wish (and user gets to pick up the pieces if it breaks).

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

skidoo

a couple points not emphasized in the docs which bear repeating:

roland
    roland

Thanks noclue, that makes things crystal clear.

fungalnet
    fungalnet

Is Debian about to roll to Buster? Is this where this anxiety is coming from?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Is Debian about to roll to Buster? Is this where this anxiety is coming from?

It will be a while yet, probably around June IMO

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

masinick
    masinick

There should not be much – if ANY anxiety about new Debian releases. Debian is about as conservative as you can get when it comes to new releases. While it is possible for any system to have some defects, the likelihood of a serious defect affecting and breaking a system are low. The same is true of MEPIS, MX, and antiX; I have used Debian since 2001, MEPIS since 2003 and antiX since 2006. The only broken systems I’ve had were DELIBERATE and careless, wild changes; frankly I’ve even done those many times without failure – even when TRYING to break software. I think I’ve brought ’em down deliberately 2-3 times in 20 years.
    I suppose you can do things like POWER cycling your system part way through a system upgrade; that MIGHT cause serious issues!

The only (“normal system upgrade”) scenario I can even think of is once in a great while either a major distribution or a Linux kernel will drop support for some really old devices – usually things well over ten years old and this is a rare event. I’ve never been affected by such things and the system I have is several years old. I wouldn’t worry about it; if that ever happens, then install an even older system and you will get it back. Keep backup software and backup images of your system and those events can be 100% mitigated! So if you are among those who worry, free yourself from worries by regularly backing up your system, and then periodically practice restoring your system from the backup to make 100% certain that your backup is good and that it works. Also keep 1-2 old copies of software; if all else fails, reinstall from one of them and the problem is also resolved.

I hope these things ease your mind; if you are not doing them, keep backup system images and backup of any important information.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by masinick.

Brian Masinick

wildstar84
    wildstar84

My opinion: DO NOT RUN DIST-UPGRADE!

I’ve been running AntiX testing rolling release for YEARS (through at least 2 releases) and I NEVER EVER run dist-upgrade (I’ve read too many horror stories of it BORKING ppl’s systems)! I keep everything up-to-date using Synaptic and manually selecting the packages each day or so which are available to upgrade, while GENERALLY avoiding the ones labeled “-b#”, “-beta#”-rc#”, etc. (I assume they’re considered “beta” quality, not production-ready) until a final release comes out for them. I almost never have anything break as a result. When something (rarely) does, I’ve backed it out using dpkg and the prev. vsn stored in /var/cache/apt/archives. That’s my opinion, for what it’s worth.

Regards,

Jim

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by wildstar84.

mizpa

Not sure what you want to do . dist-upgrade is the only way to stay current. What does your terminal say

inxi -Fxzr

Just asking because repo showing determines a bit on this thread.

Too much stuff to copy, it’s on a laptop that won’t (for some inxplicable reason) connect to the net. As I said earlier, I’m just trying to be prepared.
    I’ve downloaded the latest antiX, but just haven’t taken time to re-install. I’m glad someone pointed out that I’ll have to change out the repos to upgrade to the newer version if I decided to do so, I’d forgotten about that! It will be much easier to just download and install the newer version when it gets here. In the meantime, I’ll do the re-install to see if it will get on the net with a new install.
    Thanks all!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.