Distrowatch ranking

Forum Forums General Other Distros Distrowatch ranking

• This topic has 39 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Feb 26-9:41 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

I’m not sure how often the statistics are updated, but since there is a 7 day list, it should be *at least* weekly.
      501 shows on the six month list and maybe one or two others; our most recent weekly number was 483; perhaps we can get that one to take a decent hike upward at least for a short time.

--
      Brian Masinick

marcelocripe

You can poke fun at distrowatch for being irrelevant, including biased reviews etc, but I still think that any publicity for Linux/BSD in general is good publicity.

I agree with everything you wrote, except the part about “You can poke fun at distrowatch for being irrelevant”. Because Distrowatch served as a facilitator for my long search to find a GNU/Linux or BSD distribution. Biased analyzes take me the wrong way and made me waste a lot of time with distributions and forums that didn’t accept a beginner who is illiterate in the English language and totally lost in the worlds of GNU/Linux and BSD. In any case, the long walk along paths contrary to what I was looking for and needed, helped me to quickly identify my place here, right in my post on this forum.

– – – – –

You can poke fun at distrowatch for being irrelevant, including biased reviews etc, but I still think that any publicity for Linux/BSD in general is good publicity.

Eu concordo com tudo que você escreveu, exceto a parte de “You can poke fun at distrowatch for being irrelevant”. Porque o Distrowatch serviu como um facilitador para a minha longa pesquisa para encontrar uma distribuição GNU/Linux ou BSD. As análises tendenciosas me levam para o lado errado e me fizeram perder muito tempo com distribuições e fóruns que não aceitaram um iniciante que é analfabeto em idioma Inglês e totalmente perdido nos mundos do GNU/Linux e do BSD. De qualquer maneira, a longa caminhada por caminhos contrários ao que eu buscava e precisava, serviram para eu saber identificar rapidamente o meu lugar aqui, logo na minha postagem neste fórum.

PPC

Today I finally found out that antiX had a new user review over at Distrowatch… We are still on the same place, but, according to this person antiX “is a good distribution for beginner Linux users.”
          My jaw almost dropped. I agree- antiX 23 is extremely newbie friendly, but I think I never heard anyone outside the forum saying that!

P.

madibi

And now antiX leapfrogged Lite, climbing to the 13th place!!
            Uauu yeaa 🙂
            m

Brian Masinick

I wrote another review and gave it another 10. I encourage as many people here as possible to review antiX. Maybe some of you don’t give as glowing a review as I do. Fairness is fairness, so I think some unbiased constructive comments are appropriate too, but far too many people have never heard of antiX, so I hope that more of you take the time to write a few kind, constructive words on behalf of antiX. They can be at DistroWatch, they can be at other places that discuss software, and they can be here too. The more the word gets out the more people can see what is possible.

I never want to see antiX become something it isn’t and as long as anticapitalista is the one in charge, I have no worries about it. We don’t have to lead in anything except what we already have, a lean, efficient, effective distribution. That’s all I care about, but it is nice to share these truths with others.

--
              Brian Masinick

madibi

Since August 2023 I have been trying to send my reviews to distrowatch at least once a month, but they have not been published.
                I find it a bit strange

PPC

Distrowatch did publish 2 of my reviews, in the past.
                  I also try to visit antiX’s page once a day, just to try to “bump it up” a bit. I do think the OS deserves more visibility. 2 very nice YouTube channels did review antiX relatively recently: DistroTube and InfinitelyGalactic (DT is currently not producing new content). Both reviews were great, from folks that usually know what they are talking about (despite the fact that DT did fail to understand some details about antiX, like, if memory serves me right, what app-select was)
                  I can’t wait for version 23.1 to come out, so I try to review it there (since it solves all 23 problems and adds some nice features)

P.

Brian Masinick

My review made it in today; here is what I said:

“The antiX distribution has evolved very well over the years. It has always been a very lean, efficient distribution, and it has always been available as an. installable Live distribution.

There are a number of features in antiX that are not common to many other distributions. One is the ability to create a Frugal persistent state. This is a feature that writes most of the functionality to a physical location that can be loaded into memory at boot time, resulting in a fast, flexible solution.

Another thing that many people do not realize is that, in spite of the tremendous flexibility and capability built into antiX, it’s much easier to use than ever before. There have been a great number of lean, efficient tools added over the past 2-3 years to create a system that continues to run on old or new hardware, now reachable to almost anyone.

If you either download an image and install it to a USB Flash Drive or purchase one that has been created for convenience, all you have to do to gain access to antiX is to insert the Flash Drive on your system and allow the Flash Drive to be bootable on your system, and it’s ready to use immediately. That’s much simpler than any system, including Windows and other operating systems were in the past. Granted, other systems are more usable too, but antiX is among the most efficient distributions available with a familiar look and feel and I highly recommend it for the novice and the expert; it’s simply a great way to run your software!”

--
                    Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Since August 2023 I have been trying to send my reviews to distrowatch at least once a month, but they have not been published.
                      I find it a bit strange

I hope you have more success to get your review published; your comments are well worth seeing and sharing. Thanks!

--
                      Brian Masinick

Wallon

Distrowatch never published my messages either.

Brian Masinick

Try again today and let me know what happens. Do you receive any response when you create your entry?
                          Mine worked as expected, but please report back so we can figure this out and get more balanced reviews published.

--
                          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

If worse comes to worse, I can get the text of your reviews and enter them for you, but please try again first.

--
                            Brian Masinick

PPC

Well, I took a look at DW and there are 2 new reviews dated from today (16/2/2024)… I thought it was funny that 2 reviews made almost at the same time could be so different. One, gave antiX a 10, saying “What I liked: Easy to install, perfect for beginners. lightweight, consumes little RAM and takes up little hard drive space.”
                              The other “review”, gave antiX a 3!!! Reasons for that? The nvidia card that PC had was so old that it was not compatible with the drivers available for the current Kernels!… So yeah, antiX is trash! and also (quoting this “review”): “not user-friendly UI”; ” this is actually a distribution not for such old computers, but for relatively weak but relatively more modern ones”; “inconvenient desktop environment(jeez its bad). As a result, I think that for the vast majority it is better to choose something more user-friendly.”

My jaw dropped, due the “conclusions” that last person reached. So because an OS does not work with a particular (and very old and poorly supported) Graphics card, it’s because that OS only works in newer computers! (Hum… my 20 years old Laptop begs to differ, as does my crappy single core Atom netbook, with 1 GB of shared RAM and an hard drive slower than a snail)
                              I was left wondering: probably there isn’t any current Linux distro that will work on that hardware, right? I mean… The live session boots into Kernel 5.1… We are almost reaching the end of the 6th series of Linux Kernels (currently 6.7 is out). Maybe the guy could have better luck with antiX 19.X…

EDIT: I disagree, but I could think criticizing the UI of an OS is a valid critic (but based on a personal opinion. A painting can be crap to me and be the best thing ever for you, right?)… Slamming on antiX 23 because out of the box, it fails to installs into UEFI computers? I can understand that (no one reads release notes)… Saying, “it’s full of bloat because it has x web browsers and y file managers and z window managers”, I can understand (I even thought that way, when I began using antiX- having that much “choice” is confusing, to people not used to it). But arbitrarily jumping to wrong conclusions… that just stinks.

ALSO: Good news, antiX is just 20 steps away from being 12th on DW! At least that gives it some visibility, despite the occasionally very crappy “bad press”.

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
                              Brian Masinick

@PPC I know such things “hurt” a bit, particularly for those who put so much into this work. As for @anticapitalista I’m sure it would be nice to be appreciated but I think that his appreciation is read and felt right here in the community. Who cares what some money seeking sources said about our very distinct distribution! Clearly it’s NOT primarily for mass distribution and it’s not for people with their noses sticking out, it’s for a group of people who want to get good use out of hardware from recent, but NOT cutting edge systems to very old systems that are almost as old as my young adult children!

I’ve never sought the most popular of anything, whether equipment or “stuff” in general, so I could care less about some mis-informed comments. The ones that count from my perspective come from the participants of this forum.

--
                                Brian Masinick

j0ta

Great distro indeed
                                  Cheers to all !

Attachments:

​🇱​​🇮​​🇧​​🇷​​🇪​​🇧​​🇴​​🇴​​🇹​ ​🇺​​🇸​​🇪​​🇷​
                                  ​🇦​​🇳​​🇹​​🇮​​🇽​ ​ 🇺​​🇸​​🇪​​🇷​
                                  ​🇱​​🇮​​🇧​​🇷​​🇪​​🇼​​🇴​​🇱​​🇫​ ​🇺​​🇸​​🇪​​🇷​
                                  ​🇳​​🇴​​🇸​​🇾​​🇸​​🇹​​🇪​​🇲​​🇩​ ​🇺​​🇸​​🇪​​🇷​

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.