Distrowatch ranking

Forum Forums General Other Distros Distrowatch ranking

• This topic has 39 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Feb 26-9:41 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    PPC

Great distro indeed

A bit off-topic: I agree. I also enjoy the kind of humor that cartoon displays. But I’m not an antiX user and contributor because I’m anti systemd, or even because I’m anti-fascist. I’m an antiX user because I think it’s the best OS for all my hardware, particuarly the oldest portable computers I have. Even my work and home desktop computers, that, to me are extremely powerful, would probably struggle a bit with Windows 10, and probably even more with Windows 11… but probably they would run relatively well under main stream distros, like a light(ish) Ubuntu variant, Mint or MX-Linux, and for sure under Bodhi Linux. But I picked my team, long ago

P.

Brian Masinick

Great distro indeed

A bit off-topic: I agree. I also enjoy the kind of humor that cartoon displays. But I’m not an antiX user and contributor because I’m anti systemd, or even because I’m anti-fascist. I’m an antiX user because I think it’s the best OS for all my hardware, particularly the oldest portable computers I have. Even my work and home desktop computers, that, to me are extremely powerful, would probably struggle a bit with Windows 10, and probably even more with Windows 11… but probably they would run relatively well under main stream distros, like a light(ish) Ubuntu variant, Mint or MX-Linux, and for sure under Bodhi Linux. But I picked my team, long ago

P.

Yeah, that’s a good way of saying it; another way – for me – is that I no longer need all of that “full function” stuff, regardless of what infrastructure it runs in. A simple environment with a choice of software components is what I need – I use a browser, and I want a full-featured browser, but I don’t require anything HEAVY in that area either. I use Firefox and Mozilla stuff mostly out of “habit”; been using their stuff since the nineties; the Ungoogled Chromium App-Images are practical for my purposes, Librewolf also works when I’m on my faster computer and the privacy both of them provide is a positive plus. Our antiX happens to work well with this stuff, even if I bring in my own (as I often do); same with editors; back in the day, I’d use a vi editor for quick stuff and Emacs for full days worth of editing documents or code, but these days Geany can handle nearly anything the other ones can, and it’s much lighter and faster, so usually I use it; antiX provides it; even when I’m on something else, I usually bring in Geany.

Just because of “history”, I used to use an editor called Nedit (commonly referred to as “Nirvana”). It’s no longer actively developed, but I found it’s successor – xnedit. I have brought it in and I manage my own copy in my private ~/bin directory; it has an xnc version — XNEdit is based on NEdit 5.7 and developed by Olaf Wintermann.

“NEdit is a standard GUI (Graphical User Interface) style text editor for programs and plain-text files. Users of Macintosh and MS Windows based text editors should find XNEdit a familiar and comfortable environment. XNEdit provides all of the standard menu, dialog, editing, and mouse support, as well as all of the standard shortcuts to which the users of modern GUI based environments are accustomed. For users of older style Unix editors, welcome to the world of mouse-based editing!”

--
        Brian Masinick

Xunzi_23

While many have DW in high regard I consider at least the review pages to in no way reflect many user opinions
          as given in reviews. At one time I wrote reviews, a couple a week from different computers, with different browsers
          and even over different networks. None were published. I asked local users to write own reviews, again over months
          none published.

While I am happy to see positive reviews at present I think it likely that persons at DW will balance the positives
          by publishing a ton of arbitrary negative opinions.

Only thing I was able to do is mention antiX in the comments to DW weekly at times, often although the comments fitted
          the theme they were quickly deleted. Same happened to some other posts.

My experience:
          The whole site with possible exception of the ranking hit counter only reflects the opinion or mood of the publishers at a
          certain day and date…

Brian Masinick

While many have DW in high regard I consider at least the review pages to in no way reflect many user opinions
            as given in reviews. At one time I wrote reviews, a couple a week from different computers, with different browsers
            and even over different networks. None were published. I asked local users to write own reviews, again over months
            none published.

While I am happy to see positive reviews at present I think it likely that persons at DW will balance the positives
            by publishing a ton of arbitrary negative opinions.

Only thing I was able to do is mention antiX in the comments to DW weekly at times, often although the comments fitted
            the theme they were quickly deleted. Same happened to some other posts.

My experience:
            The whole site with possible exception of the ranking hit counter only reflects the opinion or mood of the publishers at a
            certain day and date…

I’m in agreement with you. Everything there is subjective at best, downright misleading at worst.

The main value I see is a listing of various different distributions. What is said about them doesn’t matter. All I look at are the applications available and the package method used, that’s it!

--
            Brian Masinick

madibi

Distrowatch’s ranking improved further this morning, with antiX now moving up to 12th place.

This seems to me to be further confirmation of how right the path taken is.

A big Bravo to everyone involved in the project. Again! 🙂

m

Brian Masinick

Distrowatch’s ranking improved further this morning, with antiX now moving up to 12th place.

This seems to me to be further confirmation of how right the path taken is.

A big Bravo to everyone involved in the project. Again! 🙂

m

We will have to see if this is a continuing trend or if it’s simply because of traffic
                due to a new version.

I’m happy with our release, and most of us are too. The ratings are “nice”.

--
                Brian Masinick

PPC

Probably due to the curiosity about antix 23.1, we are now at the 12th place in distrowatch’s ranking, for what that’s worth…

P.

Brian Masinick

Probably due to the curiosity about antix 23.1, we are now at the 12th place in distrowatch’s ranking, for what that’s worth…

P.

That’s exactly what I was thinking; time will tell!

--
                    Brian Masinick

madibi

for what that’s worth…

I think this is important.
                      Being the true first in a certain field is important.
                      Those who rank higher arouse greater curiosity.
                      It’s the same concept as adv.

You can create the best distribution in the world and if no one knows, who cares?

antiX brand awarness has changed a lot in recent years, positively.

Furthermore, antiX can now count at least 4 derivatives.

Shouldn’t these good results be used as supporting evidences when we say that antiX is excellent?

m

Brian Masinick

@madibi You may consider a “top ranking” important; our founder @anticapitalista has explicitly stated many times over the years that his goals do not include popularity ratings; his priorities are crystal clear: he wants to always maintain a distribution that is very efficient; we call it “lean and mean” in our descriptions. While “complements” are nice for anyone, achieving top downloads, highest numbers, etc. are NOT top goals. If they WERE, @anticapitalista would continue to work on the MX Linux team. I know he has collaborated with the team, we do share some utilities, but to my knowledge, he is not an active regular contributor for MX Linux – they rank #1 on DistroWatch.

Adrian, Jerry, Rich, Dolphin Oracle and many of the team members are certainly cordial friends and we’ll help one another out. MX Linux would be the place to be if a #1 ranking were the most important criteria; either SimplyMEPIS or MX Linux has often ranked #1 numerous times over the years at DistroWatch; it doesn’t detract from their work, because it is indeed a very good distribution; it simply isn’t the “lean and mean”, efficient distribution found in antiX and that is why MX Linux ranks at or near the top – rightly so. To me, it’s ALWAYS superior to any *buntu. I find Endeavour OS to be a very fine distribution too, but again lean efficiency isn’t the priority; cutting edge, fast, high performance systems with rich capabilities are their priority.

I definitely respect and appreciate your viewpoint and your desire to tout antiX. As far as “excellent”, ABSOLUTELY – we all know that is the case; I’d put our quality and feature set right there with the best; it’s simply not going to win the popularity contest. Test it and compare it in the category we feature and the others really can’t compare – for example, Puppy Linux is a fine distribution too, but I think we have a more specifically focused set of goals and interests, where they encourage variety, not only in their respins; they make their respins part of their product offerings; to me the mix of tools they offer, while good, can be confusing at times; I’d give us a huge win there. Other really lean distros won’t even run on new hardware, at least not mine, while antiX excels; this all hints to the variety of systems; they are not all made for everyone; not Puppy, not antiX, not *buntu, not Debian, and so on. Each has a purpose; only a few of them seek out popularity in their goals and aspirations.

--
                        Brian Masinick

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.