Distrowatch reviews

Forum Forums News News Distrowatch reviews

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by manyroads Aug 25-10:04 am.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ModdIt

As unable to finde the Distrowatch grumbles thread, will put here.

One local school class wrote and sent distrowatch reviews from own devices at home, not all use linux daily but all have installed, setup and ran or run varios Linux distros
    and flavours. We are calling different desktops and base systems flavours as reflecting individual taste. AntiX and MX are among the flavours still in use.
    The action came when a girl told others that she used linux exclusively and had install and manage it herself. From total disbelief came motion..

The reviews described what a 14 to 17 year old experienced, liked and disliked on his or her distro over several months. Many pupils also had comments regarding Forums, some of which were an awful experience for new users. Some stuck with one distro others changed several times.

IMHO 33 kids with varied hardware can give valuable insights. We all learned a lot and rescued some older computers during the action. I found it a very positive experience and well worth the time invested.

MOST of the reviews submitted to DW were never published, some even submitted more than once because kids thought maybe something went wrong with sending.

All reviews submitted were in english language. Improving reading and writing english was one aim along with group interaction team and confidence building. I love kids saying dont worry, we can manage that.

Some reviews on DW discussed were so trollig brainless and useless that we all wondered how the hell they ever reached the public. Some just cut and paste crap from earlier often other distro threads. Or voting down other distroś than the one submitters are fanboys of.

DW is highly regarded it seems, from last school years pupils at a German school 33 think it is pretty useless as an opinion builder.

As a positive some reviews do point out real problems.

Side Note:
    Some members not only of this forum point out spelling mistakes or mock not just DW posters, English is a major language but many linux users devs and supporters have another mother language, some will suffer dyslexia. Sure they all could use a spell checker, mine do not work perfectly. btw. The one on my Xiaomi phone is run my a malevolent KI and mangles correct spelling in to unintelligable useless crap.
    Linux for me is not just an OS it is also a globe spanning group trying to communicate and work together, please be tolerant and considerate.

manyroads
    manyroads

und die Kinder haben doch recht. 😉 Your English is fine, genau so gut wie mein Deutsch.

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.2.15-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- BL- ArchLabs

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.