Distrowatch reviews

Forum Forums Kafeneio Chats In a Greek kafeneio Distrowatch reviews

• This topic has 27 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Feb 10-8:20 pm by BobC.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    oparun

>one change at a time
      I’ve used Debian for years and hope to use it for many more. At home, on my main media PC, i use Buster. I always do backports upgrade and oldstable-backports upgrades from debian multimedia repo. I’ve never had any trouble with OS. With Antix 19.4 i also didn’t have any troubles with backports upgrades. But Antix 19.5 promises “reworked” xserver and many other things that can, after backports upgrade, brick your system. So, as i said above, creators should stress that now it’s not fully compatible with Debian (at least talking about upgrade) and that users should stay with “approved repositories”.
      >Salix and Slackel better than Slackware
      Slackel isn’t stable enough and Salix repos are SO outdated, it scares me. And they still (14.2) ship wicd in their iso, when everyone ditched it because of security reasons.
      > I did try
      For me, pulseaudio was a final straw. There are several topics on Antix forum dedicated to Pulse. And people, at least it seems, don’t have problems with it. I tried to replicate all the steps on a fresh install and failed. And then i switched distros. I asked a friend (he’s a sysadmin) to write some kind of script to use ubuntu mini (18.04 + a bunch of packages) as a base for my minimal installs on my restored machines.

oparun

> radiotray-ng is asking for trouble
        Stock Debian runs it well, Ubuntu 18.04 runs it well. I do understang the risk part, but if you claim that Antix is build on the top of Debian, i assume it should run it.
        > latest and greatest (sic)
        And i wasn’t talking about that at all. You can also use Sid. Sometimes backports upgrade can help you in solving different small bugs and glitches. And looks kinda silly when in 19.4 you could upgrade from backports and in 19.5 (according to the review) you cannot, and it probably bricks your system. If you plan to do such a dramatic change, you should make another (new) release (separate one).

Forum Admin
        anticapitalista

The ‘reworked’ xserver package simply removed libsystemd0/elogind0 as ahard dependency. Nothing else was changed.
          Same with pulseaudio.
          Noone has posted (not even you) that upgrading to antiX-19.5 ‘bricks’ the system.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

oparun

Noone has posted (not even you) that upgrading to antiX-19.5 ‘bricks’ the system.

I’ve quoted above-mentioned distrowatch review.

Forum Admin
            anticapitalista

I just installed antiX-19.5-full (64bit), enabled Debian backports repo and did a dist-upgrade.
              Nothing broke.
              In fact, nothing was upgraded from backports.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

oparun

apt -t buster-backports dist-upgrade?

oparun

And i’ll quote the review again:

But with Antix you’ll find that the majority of recipes isn’t working and upgrading packages from debian backports (at least in 19.5) with quickly break your system

I don’t know if the Antix creator is trying to troll or simply trying way to hard to protect his distro. The Review states: upgrade packages FROM BACKPORTS

Forum Admin
                  anticapitalista

Does Debian recommend dist-upgrading from backports? No it doesn’t.

Anyhow, apt dist-upgrade -t buster-backports did not break anything.

apt -f install was needed due to error with firmware-realtek

Also connman-bluetooth-firmware-antix needed removing (a backported package caused a conflict).

Added: Actually dist-upgrading with -t buster-backports will result in firefox-esr not opening.

So don’t do it!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by anticapitalista. Reason: added info

Forum Admin
                    anticapitalista

I’ll put a message that antiX (like Debian) does not support a dist-upgrade from backports.
                      This is the default beheviour anyway.
                      A dist-upgrade from backports will only happen if USER makes that choice.

oparun

Made a clean install of 19.5 (i386), created encrypted home (1-2-3-4-5 is the password) and did a full apt -t buster-backports dist upgrade. What i’ve got:

– the system let me in only after 5th try. I’ve entered correct password every time and got nothing (the prompt repeats itself)
                        – on booting got (before entering password) /etc/init.d/cryptdisks-eartly get_crypt_type not found
                        – non of the browsers work (except for seamonkey) mozilla generates an error
                        – libreoffice works when it wants to (50/50 chanсе) (probably related to java)

So i can support those above – mentioned claims (made in the review). It kinda bricks your system, if you live inside your browser (like a majority of users nowadays). And i don’t know what Antix creator had to twist the truth, that backports-upgrade works on Antix almost flawlessly ..when it clearly doesn’t.

And yeah, i’m going to erase this install ..

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by oparun.
                        Forum Admin
                        anticapitalista

SO DON’T DIST UPGRADE FROM BACKPORTS AS ADVISED BY DEBIAN

Forum Admin
                          anticapitalista

Found the firefox issue ‘solution’ if anyone does dist-upgrade using buster-backports.

apt install libelogind0

This removes libseat1 which gets installed with the backported libpulse0 (from pulseaudio)

BobC

>Salix and Slackel better than Slackware
                              Slackel isn’t stable enough and Salix repos are SO outdated, it scares me. And they still (14.2) ship wicd in their iso, when everyone ditched it because of security reasons.

I tried Slackware, Slackel, Salix, and SlackoPup about 7 years ago, and chose/ran SlackoPup for a couple years. Slackware was the most difficult, almost like Arch level of difficulty to run. That’s ok for some high level people, but most will just end up in a mess. The others were much more user friendly.

Its been quite a while. I don’t think they are all still around.

antiX is easy to install and run if you just want “Vanilla”

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by BobC.
                            Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.