DistroWatch user reviews

Forum Forums Kafeneio Chats In a Greek kafeneio DistroWatch user reviews

• This topic has 44 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated Feb 6-2:49 pm by masinick.
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    fungalnetfungalnet

On the topic of an update helper:

If the devs decide to add a tool to notify of available updates I think that would be fine. But how many little things like this get added over time and then bloat sets in?

I was going to try out this distribution (apt-get is in there somewhere) called consolelinux. I looked at their downloads ftp folder the images appeared huge. So I noticed this 2014 albatrOS image, their predecessor, that was tiny (1/5 the size of the current image). So I tried it out of historic curiosity. Then I tried the recent one. It was pretty much the same after 6 years with updated software. Talking about upstream bloat. I liked that older one. I hated the new one. It is a fixed model non-rolling distribution and you can use apt-get (minimalized as installer) to add “some stuff”.

Maybe there will eventually be an “antiX Deluxe” version full of the same boat as everything else. But I hope the devs continue to offer a Basic version for those of us who don’t care about such things. I don’t believe any distro can be all things to everyone. Maybe some people just won’t be able to make antiX work for them and will leave a bad report. Is that so bad?

Seaken64

No things are what they are and change to what they change to, take them or leave them. Constructive criticism is to accurately portray them on how they are and how they evolved, pretending to be something you are not is an illusion. Good report, bad report, it only matters whether it is accurate or not. For me my minimalistic tendency thread breaks when I realize the systemd-logind must be present to have what I really like to use. I hate that I have become addicted and accustomed to this crutch and refuse to walk without it.

Even for a kafeneio discussion though … this discussion is more violent than any kafeneio would tolerate…

Violence comes from brutal and continuous introduction of irrelevant topics in an existing conversation. So how do the last 40 comments here relate to distrowatch I have no clue. If we can not manage ourselves to have a civil conversation within a coffee shop, no wonder we need cops and planners to dictate our everyday lives. We should have been moderating ourselves to prove otherwise. I will be the last to throw this stone, but it is still a fact, not a bad report.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by fungalnet.

Hi.
    I’m not really sure if this is the right thread to post this in… I’m positive almost no one knows about yad-updater, and those users that are advanced enought to know such script exists don need it to update their systems.
    But… I really think that doing basic tasks (like upgrading and updating antiX) should not have to be done using the terminal.
    So, I spiced up yad-updater- now it’s no longer a one line script (it bloated to 9 lines of script)…
    What this script is not:
    – it’s not a GUI or automatic way to update antiX. But it can be made that way using cron or acron (like Skidoo susgested)
    What this script is:
    – it’s a fully gui way to “update” the system (it opens a window for the user to enter the password and then displays a tiny window, with a pulsating bar that also displays in one line, what the system is doing).
    – The “upgrade” part of the script is semi-GUI – it opens up a terminal window, so the user can see and respond to queries (like confirming to update packages or not, instead of having the system always answer “yes”- I find this is safer, and forces the user to understand what it’s really going on, but reducing interaction with the terminal to pressing a single key).
    – After doing the upgrade, a final window warns the user that it’s done, displaying the file output of the terminal (I found this to be useful for 2 reasons: when nothing is upgraded, it displays (in the user’s own language) that 0 files where updated, etc. when the user presses “n” and chooses not to aupgrade the system, that final window also shows that information.
    I realize that when the system is actually upgrades, the final output that shows up on screen can seem cryptic to most users that need such script… If someone wants to contribute, feel free to chip in and add another line of two of code…

EDIT: the forum mangled the code, so I used pastebin instead…
    If you want to test the script: go to the link below, copy the code from the RAW Paste Data part of the window, and paste it into a file called, for example: updater.sh. Make it executable, run it. Opcionaly: paste the code to the terminal and press enter to test it.
    P.S.: as always, don’t blindly run arbitrary code from the net or foruns, without first inspecting it…

P.

https://pastebin.com/QnMrHf73

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

… For me my minimalistic tendency thread breaks when I realize the systemd-logind must be present to have what I really like to use. I hate that I have become addicted and accustomed to this crutch and refuse to walk without it…

This is not true on antiX buster, testing or sid versions. elogind is not systemd-logind in the same way that eudev is not udev.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

And if a user wants the easiest a one click way to update antiX: maybe provide a .desktop file to yad-updater, something like:

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=antiX Updater
    Name[am]=antiX ማሻሻያ 
    Name[ca]=antiX Updater
    Name[cs]=antiX Updater
    Name[de]=antiX Updater
    Name[el]=antiX Updater
    Name[es]=antiX Actualizador
    Name[fr]=antiX Mise à jour
    Name[hu]=antiX frissítő
    Name[it]=antiX Aggiornamenti
    Name[ja]=antiX Updater
    Name[kk]=antiX Updater
    Name[lt]=antiX Updater
    Name[nl]=antiX Updater
    Name[pl]=antiX Updater
    Name[pt]=Actualizador do antiX
    Name[pt_BR]=Atualizador do antiX
    Name[ro]=antiX Updater
    Name[ru]=antiX Updater
    Name[sk]=antiX Updater
    Name[sv]=antiX Uppdaterare
    Name[tr]=antiX Updater
    Name[uk]=antiX Updater
    Name[zh_TW]=antiX 更新
    Exec=yad-updater
    Icon=/usr/share/icons/mnotify-some-wireframe.png
    StartupNotify=false
    Categories=antiX;

and put that on icewm toolbar. It’s a almost universal icon, that even the most inexperienced users would probably recognize… All they have to do is click it, and the system checks for updates after entering the password…

P.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

… and another one …

AntiX is not letting me know when security updates are ready to install, so I went back to Linux mint.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

capreacaprea

Yeah, it’s bad, but there’s nothing one can do about it.
    Someone is really starting the new year and will probably not stop so quickly.
    The best thing is to ignore it, IMO.
    An update-notifier is also not really the biggest problem at the moment.
    The distrowatch comments are sometimes interesting to read, but that’s bullying.

masinickmasinick

… and another one …

AntiX is not letting me know when security updates are ready to install, so I went back to Linux mint.

I wouldn’t let it bother you too much.

The facts are that MX Linux has been getting a lot of positive attention on Distro Watch.

I can’t imagine a finer infrastructure than what you have put together and the two communities have remained behind them for years.

I try out several distributions each year but the only ones that are a fixture for me are Debian, MX and antiX. After close to two decades (especially Debian and the distribution before MX,the MEPIS from which this work arose). We’ve done nothing except improve upon what was started in the early 2000s. The best thing is that the vision expressed to Warren when antiX was welcomed is strong and outlasted the original MEPIS by a decade and it’s doing better than ever.

Brian Masinick

christophechristophe

Yep. I agree with Brian.
    And I think: MX for those who want more automatic point-and-click solutions, and antiX for everyone else. (Even so, PPC’s yad-updater script looks promising. Perhaps an inclusion, as an icon on the default desktop & in the Control Centre, would be a sufficient help for new Linux users.)

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by christophe. Reason: clarification

Hallo to all,
    AntiX is not letting me know when security updates are ready to install.

A minimalist and efficient updater as ppc has created would stop this critic. In a full version of AntiX it is
    pretty much inexplicable to call these few lines of code bloat.
    A moot point is if it should be included in minimal versions, IMHO offered but left up to the user to install if he wishes to do so.

Having discussed the topic with a number of users it is now my opinion that the feature will be welcome and an improvement especialy for those used to gui ways and need some reminders.
    Monday 03.02 a lot of updates were found open in a not so large group of users, some still using firefox 70 which is open to attack. These are good kids but openly admit to being careless and lazy to keep software up to date, most have been used to automatic updates having come from windoze. Btw, most distros offer some form of reminders or automatic updating.

Within the group the ppc script will be adopted, intro planned shortly after Firefox Monthly release on 11.02
    which in our case needs manual intervention.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by ModdIt. Reason: correction

Hum… I can see antiX creeping in to the Top Ten on DW charts but I keep thinking why so many negative reviews (at least 4) about the lack of system updates show up there, and none of my many reviews I tried to post get published (specially my last one, that explains why antiX does not have automatic updates and why that’s a positive thing)…

Well, at least this non sense sparked me to try to make a nicer dedicated gui for updating antiX (I know Synaptic already does that, but I’ve always felt it was overkill for a newbie to use for such a simple task as performing a upgrade, and the cli option favored by anticapitalista can scare new users). I think that antiX should not become a Ubuntu that always carries users on its lap, but there’s no reason for it to be on the other extreme (ex: Arch Linux), that tells users to use the cli, when very small and efficient scripts can help users do essencial actions (like updating).
    anticapitalista does not even have to update the “yad-updater” script, simply showing users it’s available with a single click (on the menu, on the toolbar, on the desktop, on the C.C.), and telling them why antiX does not automaticaly check for updates, but all they have to do is to click a icon would probably make these pointless bad reviews void…

P.

masinickmasinick

How about making the tool available in the repository and let people choose whether or not to choose it.

Also there is nothing to prevent anyone from creating a new spin that includes the stuff in discussion. Whether the spin is a new distribution or a respin of antiX is something that anticapitalista and the respin author can potentially negotiate. So including a simple update tool, one way or another, can be done.

Brian Masinick

@Masinick

I chose to create a forum thread about the newer yad-updater version, Mr Masinick, so I could get a more immediate feedback and help ironing out bugs… Anyone is free to add the script to the repository, right now I feel I did what I set off to do – made this tool available for anyone that wants to use it: I developed it, I made it look more “professional” …
    The only things I think are lacking (if anyone wants to do it) are: using icons on the title bars and making it more multilingual (as it is now it’s about as multilingual as using the terminal- even people with rudimentary knowledge of English will get be able to use it).
    I think people didn’t even notice anti made the original version of yad-updater available in antiX 19, because it’s not found in any menu, nor using “app select”, if users have to use the script via the terminal, they might as well use the terminal to update and upgrade, right? So, I even adapted a MX updater’s .desktop file to work with yad-updater and made it available on yad-updater’s thread…
    I don’t think adding a GUI way to update the system or making the system automatically check for updates justifies a spin… anti will choose if he wants to update yad-updater (pardon the pun) and if so, if it will also be on a menu or desktop or toolbar or not…
    If it was up to me I would just put it’s icon on the desktop or icewm’s toolbar (I ended up doing that in my computers)- it’s way easier to do that than adding it to the C.C., and if it’s just available in the menu (for example (Menu – applications- antiX – Check for Updates), most users that don’t check all menu entries, will not notice that it’s even there and won’t use it… and will still complain that “antiX does not update”…

My own personal opinion (that no one asked for) is that antiX is great without automatically checking for updates, it just needs a one click way for users to check for updates themselves without using synaptic or the cli. If anticapitalista felt there was a need for it, there could already be a menu entry that fires up the terminal and performs “sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade” since the very first antiX version… But antiX began to gradually attract less tech savvy users over time, that are not used to NEEDING to use the terminal (I was such a user, about 2 years ago 🙂 ).

P.

Another “fine” DW review that stumped me was this:

I tried antix base recently. It does not recognize the sound card. Installing uncomplicated firewall gives out a bunch of errors. synaptic software manager installs fine, but will not run. The deprecated window managers and menus use complicated configuration files.

The firewall comment is valid, and there’s a fix available here on the forum, but…
    Who tries out a “base” version of any OS and then complains about lack of hardware support? As far as that person knows, the full version may have the needed drivers, right?
    …And then complains about “deprecated window managers” and their “complicated configuration files”?
    If that reviewer is not confortable editing configurations files, then why do it? Do “regular” Ms Windows users try to manually adjust the menu and other stuff? If all the user wants is to add a icon to the toolbar – probably something most users try to do- there’s a gui available for that! Other than that- the forum has over and over again, explanations how to add icons to the desktop (probably something else most users want to do). Other than adding and removing icons, why would a user that just wants use a base version of any OS want to mess with its configuration?
    And ICEwm, the default Desktop, is far from deprecated- it just got a new version last year… and Fluxbox is still (it seems like forever) under development (but it’s true that even it’s latest official version is as old as dirt)

Sigh…

P.

masinickmasinick

@Masinick

I chose to create a forum thread about the newer yad-updater version, Mr Masinick, so I could get a more immediate feedback and help ironing out bugs…
    P.

I looked in /usr/local/bin at the newer yad-updater, and it works precisely as described. It’s a useful tool; I have no reservations or other objections to using it and making it available. A convenience taskbar icon, desktop icon, or system menu entry, whatever is agreed upon, is fine too – as long as it is something that anticapitalista has approved.

Nice work! 🙂

Brian Masinick

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • The topic ‘DistroWatch user reviews’ is closed to new replies.