DKMS on 5.10.216-antix.1-amd64-smp-1_amd64

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” DKMS on 5.10.216-antix.1-amd64-smp-1_amd64

• This topic has 28 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Jun 10-1:13 am by Aalexeey.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

@Robin – try it with the latest antiX kernel.
      The poster says it is faulty.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Robin

There is one thing I remember. If you switch to another kernel, the .ko files must be rebuilt by a command I have forgotten meanwhile. You can’t simply copy them over. Rebuild the modules instead for the current kernel. I believe it was

$ sudo /sbin/vboxconfig

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Robin

try it with the latest antiX kernel.

Will do so as soon as possible (hopefully next week), just noticed there is linux-image-6.1.90-antix.1-amd64-smp available, many thanks! Since I’m running live always, this means I have to remaster and live-kernel-update after the install of the kernel image and headers before the new kernel will be active.

I have not met any antiX kernels until now on which virtualbox (oracle and antiX/MX versions both) have failed.

Aalexeey

I have installed virtualbox 7.0.12 from oracle (for compatibility reasons) instead of the default antiX/MX 7.0.6 version on antiX 23.1 full runit 64bit and can’t confirm any issues with their packages. They do install properly and virtualbox works perfectly fine.

Did you do that for 5.10.216-antix.1-amd64-smp on antiX 21/bullseye. With all other kernels Debian/LMDE/Custom dkms works fine.

There is one thing I remember. If you switch to another kernel, the .ko files must be rebuilt by a command I have forgotten meanwhile. You can’t simply copy them over. Rebuild the modules instead for the current kernel. I believe it was

sudo /sbin/vboxconfig

Yes, in other directory not in 5.10.216-antix.1-amd64-smp

Robin

on antiX 21/bullseye.

Oh, only now I realise this is all about antiX 21/22. My apologies! I came from the recent posts here, and did not regard the tiny section line below there, as well I missed to read the path line below the header herein. And you had not explicitly mentioned that detail in your text until now, even when you have explicitly written bullseye instead of bookworm, I have missed to realise that this means antiX 21/22 also.

OK, then I’ll have a look what I can find out; I have still an antiX 21/22×64 USB stick and will boot to it as soon I can manage. Therein I can upgrade the kernel then to 5.10.216-antix.1-amd64-smp and see what happens with virtualbox.

Aalexeey

Oh, only now I realise this is all about antiX 21/22. My apologies!

It’s OK, waiting for a new 5.10.216-antix!

Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

Oh, only now I realise this is all about antiX 21/22. My apologies!

It’s OK, waiting for a new 5.10.216-antix!

I installed 5.10.216-antix kernel on 64 bit antiX-bullseye and the virtualbox.ko files show up in /lib/modules/5.10.216-antix.1-amd64-smp/updates
                  Virtualbox is version 7 from the antiX repos.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Aalexeey

I installed 5.10.216-antix kernel on 64 bit antiX-bullseye and the virtualbox.ko files show up in /lib/modules/5.10.216-antix.1-amd64-smp/updates
                    Virtualbox is version 7 from the antiX repos.

It’s sounds nice, but if VB from the maker http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/ I’m perfectly used many many years, works fine on all kernels except only one 5.10.216-antix.1-amd64-smp-1_amd64, what does it means?

Robin

what does it means?

This means that there is possibly a compatibility issue with this oracle packaged virtualbox version on that specific kernel. Either use the virtualbox version anticapitalista has pointed you to already, which was proven to work, or wait for testings with the oracle version of virtualbox on the 5.10.216-antix.1-amd64-smp-1_amd64, or try another kernel, e.g. linux-image-6.1.90-antix.1-amd64-smp or even linux-image-6.7.12+bpo-amd64 (debian) in combination with the oracle version of virtualbox.

Or it means that you have hosed your system, if it can’t be reproduced by others. But for this to tell definitely you’ll have to wait for the testing results 🙂

Aalexeey

5.10.0-29-amd64_5.10.216-1_amd64 – a Debian 5.10.216 kernel
                        5.10.0-29-amd64_5.10.216-1_amd64

Robin

5.10.0-29-amd64_5.10.216-1_amd64 – a Debian 5.10.216 kernel

And what does this mean, next to the screenshot showing the /lib/modules/5.10.0-29-amd64 directory in a file manager? Does virtualbox, either oracle or antiX/Mx version, work for you with this kernel or not?

Robin

@Aalexeey: Finally I get what you have tried to express here all the time. There are two module folders created on that very kernel, while on all the other kernels only a single one is present. Many thanks for spotting this.

@Robin – try it with the latest antiX kernel.

@anticapitalista : Unfortunately I can confirm user @Aalexeey is right. Have tested this extensively yesterday evening on antiX 21 full sysvinit 64 bit Live, fully apt-upgraded. My findings:

– Running virtualbox 7.0.6 (packaged by oracle) on the 5.10.142 antiX kernel works fine, the modules are built properly in the folder /usr/lib/modules/5.10.142-antix.2-amd64-smp/misc
                            – While installing Kernel 5.10.216-antix.1-amd64-smp on the system there comes up an error message already, saying there was an error building a kernel module.
                            – After booting into that kernel, virtualbox can no longer be started, requesting to run /sbin/vboxconfig, which also fails with error: module not found after it was built.
                            – Now I wanted to make sure it isn’t an issue with the old virtualbox version, so I upgraded to their most recent 7.0.18 (packaged by oracle). Again the installer complains the
                            kernel module could not be built. (actually it is built, but in the wrong place, so it is not found afterwards when checked for it)
                            – Then I have switched back to 5.10.142-antix.2-amd64-smp kernel using live kernel updater, and here again also the current virtualbox version 7.0.18 (packaged by oracle) still builds properly the modules and starts virtual machines.
                            – Now I upgraded to the most recent 6.1.90-antix.1-amd64-smp kernel, which builds the virtualbox modules without any errors again.
                            – After booting into that kernel, virtualbox works fine, virtual machines can be started without complaints, as on the 5.10.142 antiX kernel. The modules are built properly in the /usr/lib/modules/6.1.90-antix.1-amd64-smp/misc folder.

As you can see from Aalekseeys screenshot above, the misc folder is also present in the proper place when building the modules in the 5.10.0-29-amd64_5.10.216-1_amd64 debian kernel, which means that virtualbox should work properly on that kernel also (have not tested myself, and Aaleksey didn’t answer my question). And he states it works fine on 5.10.188-antix.1-amd64-smp-1_amd64 in the starting post.

All in all there is a high probability and evidence that this issue is actually caused by this very antiX kernel.

Some more observations on the 5.10.216-antix.1-amd64-smp kernel: It creates the modules folder properly when installing: /usr/lib/modules/5.10.216-antix.1-amd64-smp, populated with all the files present in the other kernels also. But this is the single kernel where a minute later an additional folder is created, named /usr/lib/modules/5.10.216-antix.1, containing the very same set of files, but these are empty (or contain 0 to 45 bytes) while the very files in the proper folder have ~1k to 1M of size. The misc subfolder is built in the wrong usr/lib/modules/5.10.216-antix.1 folder, and therein the modules for virtualbox are placed, while virtualbox expects them in the other folder with the appendix -amd64-smp, this is why it complains and can’t start any virtual machines on this kernel (while it’s UI comes up fine always, so you need to actually start a virtual machine to see the error) Moving the misc folder to the proper place within the folder with the -amd64-smp doesn’t solve the issue, also not when deleting the additional wrong folder (it will be recreated again and again as soon as building the modules).

$ sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
                            vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
                            depmod: ERROR: Bad version passed 5.10.216-antix.1
                            depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.order at /lib/modules/5.10.216-antix.1: No such file or directory
                            depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.builtin at /lib/modules/5.10.216-antix.1: No such file or directory
                            vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
                            vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
                            vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.
                            There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
                              /sbin/vboxconfig
                            as root.  If your system is using EFI Secure Boot you may need to sign the
                            kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load
                            them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.

Additional wrong folder for the kernel:

$ ls -al /lib/modules/5.10.216-antix.1
                            insgesamt 28
                            drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 260  5. Jun 01:00 .
                            drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 100  5. Jun 00:55 ..
                            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 100  5. Jun 01:01 misc
                            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  45  5. Jun 01:00 modules.alias
                            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  12  5. Jun 01:00 modules.alias.bin
                            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  12  5. Jun 01:00 modules.builtin.alias.bin
                            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   0  5. Jun 01:00 modules.builtin.bin
                            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   0  5. Jun 01:00 modules.dep
                            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  12  5. Jun 01:00 modules.dep.bin
                            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   0  5. Jun 01:00 modules.devname
                            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  55  5. Jun 01:00 modules.softdep
                            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  49  5. Jun 01:00 modules.symbols
                            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  12  5. Jun 01:00 modules.symbols.bin

Proper folder, but here is the misc subfolder not created:

$ ls -al '/lib/modules/5.10.216-antix.1-amd64-smp'
                            insgesamt 4758
                            drwxr-xr-x  1 root root     240  5. Jun 01:01 .
                            drwxr-xr-x  1 root root     100  5. Jun 00:55 ..
                            lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      49 13. Mai 15:40 build -> /usr/src/linux-headers-5.10.216-antix.1-amd64-smp
                            drwxr-xr-x 14 root root     214  4. Jun 21:59 kernel
                            -rw-r--r--  1 root root 1203267  5. Jun 01:01 modules.alias
                            -rw-r--r--  1 root root 1175487  5. Jun 01:01 modules.alias.bin
                            -rw-r--r--  1 root root    9429 13. Mai 15:40 modules.builtin
                            -rw-r--r--  1 root root       0  5. Jun 01:01 modules.builtin.alias.bin
                            -rw-r--r--  1 root root   11813  5. Jun 01:01 modules.builtin.bin
                            -rw-r--r--  1 root root   74050 13. Mai 15:40 modules.builtin.modinfo
                            -rw-r--r--  1 root root  492460  5. Jun 01:01 modules.dep
                            -rw-r--r--  1 root root  673631  5. Jun 01:01 modules.dep.bin
                            -rw-r--r--  1 root root     391  5. Jun 01:01 modules.devname
                            -rw-r--r--  1 root root  163381 13. Mai 15:40 modules.order
                            -rw-r--r--  1 root root     824  5. Jun 01:01 modules.softdep
                            -rw-r--r--  1 root root  470864  5. Jun 01:01 modules.symbols
                            -rw-r--r--  1 root root  578461  5. Jun 01:01 modules.symbols.bin
                            drwxr-xr-x  3 root root      27  4. Jun 21:59 updates

I have checked which script is responsible for module creation. /usr/sbin/vboxconfig points to /usr/lib/virtualbox/postinst-common.sh, which in turn calls /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh with the parameter setup (and accepting an optional additional parameter which can hold a kernel version string; if not present, uname -r is used internally). This script again builds the sources from /usr/share/virtualbox/src/vboxhost by running another script named build_in_tmp, which finally calls a Makefile present in the very folder. Unfortunately I can’t neither understand nor identify the language of this makefile, so I can’t follow the trace from this point onwards in order to find out where the wrong path is introduced. Here you are what its structure reads e.g. for one of the moudles:

ifneq ($(KERNELRELEASE),)
                            obj-m = vboxdrv/
                            else # ! KERNELRELEASE
                            vboxdrv:
                                    @echo "=== Building 'vboxdrv' module ==="
                                    +@$(MAKE) KBUILD_VERBOSE=$(KBUILD_VERBOSE) -C vboxdrv
                                    @cp vboxdrv/vboxdrv.ko .
                                    @echo
                            install-vboxdrv:
                                    +@$(MAKE) KBUILD_VERBOSE=$(KBUILD_VERBOSE) -C vboxdrv install
                            install: install-vboxdrv ...
                            vboxdrv:
                            install:
                            clean-vboxdrv:
                                    +@$(MAKE) -C vboxdrv clean
                                    rm -rf vboxdrv.ko
                            clean: clean-vboxdrv ...
                            check:
                                    +@$(MAKE) KBUILD_VERBOSE=$(KBUILD_VERBOSE) -C vboxdrv check
                            unload:
                                    $(SUDO) /sbin/rmmod $$module;
                            load: unload
                                    $(SUDO) /sbin/insmod $$module.ko;
                            endif # ! KERNELRELEASE

For me it looks as if this makefile doesn’t generate its own paths, and also doesn’t use paths handed over by the scripts calling it, but relies on the defaults present in the kernel it runs on, which could possibly explain why the build of the modules works fine in all kernels but in a single one. Seems this makefile gets wrong target data from this very 5.10.216-antix.1-amd64-smp kernel. But this is where my skills end and pure guesswork starts for me. Hope it helps anyway.

Attachments:

zblsv

if not present, uname -r is used internally

It gives 5.10.216-antix.1-amd64-smp instead of wrong 5.10.216-antix.1 on the problematic kernel. So may be set to it manually.

Words are carried away by the wind...

Aalexeey

Unfortunately I can confirm user @Aalexeey is right

What I found last week, no one (non antix) dkms can work with 5.10.216-antix.1-amd64-smp
                                This https://gitlab.com/linux-phc/phc-intel very nice tool too. I have two machines with “centrino” mobile Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme (Quad, ES), no undervolting modules can be created with above antix kernel.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.