[SOLVED] Do I need elogind when setting up antixcore+desktop environment?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions [SOLVED] Do I need elogind when setting up antixcore+desktop environment?

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Mar 18-11:46 pm by mikey777.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mikey777

When I’m installing antixcore, one of the options concerns
      installation of a desktop environment.

This option states that it’s strongly RECOMMENDED to answer Yes for installing
      elogind & dbus-x11 , if you’re setting-up a desktop environment (in my case LXDE).

What is the reason for having elogind ?
      Does it have anything to do with systemd ?
      If I don’t install elogind, will this have a negative effect on my setup ?

Many thanks for your thoughts / advice on this.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by mikey777.

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
      - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
      ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
      - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
      - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

sybok

Elogind:
        1) Reason to have it?
        Obviously, dependencies of some components of some desktops, please see 2)
        2) Does it have to do anything with systemd?
        Please see Debian elogind’s package description
        This is a piece of code extracted from systemd so that you can use packages/desktops requiring the functionality without systemd.
        3) Negative effect on your setup?
        I do not know in general.
        I have no idea what your setup is.

fatmac

This link may answer your question.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1101660-start-0.html

Linux (& BSD) since 1999
          Ultra Small Form Factor & thin client computers

mikey777

@sybok
            @fatmac
            Many thanks for the links that both of you provided. Having read these, it would seem necessary to install
            elogind, given that there is software that depends on logind for it to function properly, the latter being the piece of code stripped away from systemd and which is in elogind).

I’m assuming I’d probably need elogind, even if I was running a window manager such as jwm on its own, i.e. without a desktop environment …?

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
            - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
            ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
            - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
            - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.