[antiX-sid users only]Do not upgrade (1 March 2024)!

Forum Forums News Sid Upgraders [antiX-sid users only]Do not upgrade (1 March 2024)!

• This topic has 75 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated May 1-8:18 am by Xunzi_23.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    stevesr0

Hi anticapitalista,

I echo olsztyn’s comment.

The number of Sid users presumably is small and on an at your own risk basis.

This is my toy machine and all mishaps are opportunities to learn how to do better and what not to do.

Thanks, tho for working on this.

olsztyn

Noted changes in multiple cups files and have run simulated “downgrades” to former nosystemd versions, but after adding several cups files to one simulated install, apt wishes to remove (NOT recommend autoremove) a mess of packages that I don’t want removed.

Looks like anticapitalista just upgraded cups bunch to nosystemd version, superseding the Debian versions that I understand messed up your system…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
        http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

stevesr0

Hi olsztyn,

Yup. I noticed it this afternoon and after a little while, CUPS was working. And after a few hours CAREFULLY installing SOME other packages, I have reduced the backlog <g>.

Having struggled for hours fruitlessly for the past couple of days to get the files “restored”, I am real impressed by anticapitalista’s skill and devotion.

And very thankful. (Thanks very much, anticapitalista.)

Of course, it was a good lesson.. hopefully I maintain adequate upgrade practices in the future.

Brian Masinick

“Of course, it was a good lesson.. hopefully I maintain adequate upgrade practices in the future.”

When we experiment and learn from it, even major mistakes can ultimately be the engine that propels our progress.

For some of us, once is enough; for other people, “six times is a charm”
            https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/65286b60-e306-43ab-b864-1020a70efb41

--
            Brian Masinick

stevesr0

Hi Brian, quite right <g>.

I still think something is messed up, either with my particular install or with apt.

I have had to switch to using “apt upgrade” instead of “apt full-upgrade” because of all the packages that full-upgrade would remove.

And I had to “manually” upgrade a goodly number of packages to get them to the latest nosystemd1 version, because there was a newer Debian version.

Then, I had to put them on hold to avoid apt upgrade switching them from the nosystemd1 versions to the newer Debian ones.

Hopefully, over the next couple of months, further nosystemd1 upgrades will cause apt to stop trying to gut my install.

Brian Masinick

@stevesr0 Correct me if I am mistaken, but in the case of your “experimental” Sid distribution, you have that one on a “spare computer”, and this project is more for learning than for relying on this system as your primary source of communication, correct?

I definitely experiment on some of my systems, but as I believe you have, I always have numerous Flash Drives from which to install or reinstall systems and a few of them, while not 100% up to date, even have my typical collection of customizations in a remastered snapshot image. In addition, I rarely have as few as three systems; usually it’s more than that. So I have both hardware and software redundancy and backup; I trust you have at least a couple too?

--
                Brian Masinick

stevesr0

UPDATE: Partial success. I was able to revert libqt5core5at64 to the previous version of libqt5core5a and iso-snapshot seems to be functional. I was also able to reinstall libqt5sql5. However, the prior version of libqt5sql5-sql-lite is gone from my Sid repository. That is all for tonight.

Hi Brian,

Some <g>, but not as good as you do, I bet.

Thank goodness, this is my play computer.

Tonight, trying to install some package upgrades from regular to t64 versions, which looked free of systemd or dependency issues.

I found a problem after installing libqt5sql5-sqlite. While simulating the install didn’t reveal any problems, running the install brought up a message from dpkg to the effect that there were several programs that depended on the prior version. This included iso-snapshot.

So, anyone wanting to use iso-snapshot, don’t “upgrade” either that package or libqt5core5a to the t64 versions.

Since this is treated as an “automatic” type of upgrade, the older version MAY BE immediately removed from the repository. The only way to get it back (as far as I know) without a rollback mechanism, is either to download the package from the debian package site or to switch to a repo level (testing, perhaps) where it still exists.

I am just going to wait a bit and see if an update that supports iso-snapshot is forthcoming that works with the t64 versions.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by stevesr0.
                  • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by stevesr0.
                  olsztyn

Hi olsztyn,

Yup. I noticed it this afternoon and after a little while, CUPS was working. And after a few hours CAREFULLY installing SOME other packages, I have reduced the backlog <g>.

Having struggled for hours fruitlessly for the past couple of days to get the files “restored”, I am real impressed by anticapitalista’s skill and devotion.

Hi @Stevesr0…
                    Just now, when I got myself around to clean up some updates in Trixie/sid I noticed that the CUPS updates, those no-systemd ones, bring about libelogind0, which I did not expect.
                    I will see if I can get rid of it after CUPS upgrade…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                    http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Brian Masinick

Hi @Stevesr0

One recommendation when you get a system the “way” you want it to be –

IMMEDIATELY run an ISO Snapshot.
                      This technology SAVED ME from hours and hours of work just yesterday.

I had been using my Lenovo Thinkpad X201 and I accidentally thought I was still using it! CRAZY because it has a black hard plastic chassis. My HP-14 has a brushed metal chassis. Both are really good laptops but the Lenovo is 14 years old and the HP is a year old with 3 year old technology!

Anyway I managed to reinstall a nice snapshot of antiX. Only issue is that I used the ENTIRE disk! Needless to say I had to do it all over because I barely use the capacity even with 4-5 distributions!

With a few snapshots and some creative cross partition copying I put FOUR fresh clean versions back in place in 1-2 hours or less, thanks to Flash Drives with existing distributions in place!

Remastered or reimaged images are great, I love them and they saved me hours of configuration work!

Now I have the four distros I prefer to use most often. If I change my mind I’ll put another one in place, either an existing one in my collection or another one that I add to my USB Flash Drive collection. Best affordable solution for me!

--
                      Brian Masinick

stevesr0

Hi olsztyn,

RE: installing libelogind0 (or elogind).

I THOUGHT I had those blocked from being installed by using “apt-mark hold”.

But a recent apt-upgrade called for their install anyway. I caught this and did not allow the install.

Then, I redid the apt-mark hold on both (+ libsystemd0) and repeated the apt-upgrade.

This time, the packages dependent upon libelogind0 were automatically held back.

It left me thinking that sometimes apt-mark holds get turned off??!

Hi Brian,

I guess I have to practice restoring systems using iso-snapshot <g>. I have made a few, but just used them to see how the customizations worked. Thanks for suggestion.

stevesr0

Hi all,

We were away for a week and have been going step-by-step thru several hundred possible upgrades.

Note that popper-utils simulated upgrade stubbornly removes 16 packages that I want to keep. However, it is a dependency of cups-filters which I would like to upgrade (although I can wait). Anyone else having a problem with popper-utils or is it just my specific configuration?

Brian Masinick

Hi all,

We were away for a week and have been going step-by-step thru several hundred possible upgrades.

Note that popper-utils simulated upgrade stubbornly removes 16 packages that I want to keep. However, it is a dependency of cups-filters which I would like to upgrade (although I can wait). Anyone else having a problem with popper-utils or is it just my specific configuration?

I haven’t been using ANY implementation of Sid for a couple of months. Prior to that I had a version of a really good distribution called siduction installed. But a couple of months ago there were some inconsistencies in the packages going through Sid at that time, and I wasn’t being careful at all, and it rendered my networking either erratic or completely inoperable. I reinserted my siduction Flash Drive, got it going again, but as soon as I ran the updates, same thing, so I told myself “What do I need this for any more?” It’s been pretty usable and surprisingly stable in the past, but it’s misbehaving, and my current needs are pretty simple, so I’d rather run three or four variations of antiX instead, so that is what I’ve been doing.

I ran siduction on my Flash Drive the other day and it worked OK, but I ONLY updated a browser or two while I was running it and I DID NOT install it again; like I said, I really don’t need it any more, and since they haven’t made a newer release in 2024, at least not yet, I haven’t pursued it again.

At the moment, the only NON antiX distribution I have installed is MX Linux 23.2 AHS, and I don’t need it either, to be honest with you; I keep it just to check other stuff “occasionally”. I also put IceWM on it; booting in that configuration doesn’t always bring up my network as desired, so I’ll boot in Xfce, bring up the network, logout and go back to IceWM; not all that helpful. With some “tinkering” I could probably resolve that, but like I said, it’s not crucial to my every day stuff, so it’s no longer a priority.

Hope you enjoyed your vacation; you’re back in ONE PIECE – at least I *think* you are! Welcome back!

--
                            Brian Masinick

stevesr0

Hi Brian,

I am pretty much one piece, although it is rusted <g>.

I run Sid for the thrill of it.

It is (of course) NOT my “work” system.

I figure that the problems I encounter might be of interest (or actual utility) to others.

Kind of a canary in the mine…

Thanks for welcoming me <g>.

Brian Masinick

Hi Brian,

I am pretty much one piece, although it is rusted <g>.

I run Sid for the thrill of it.

It is (of course) NOT my “work” system.

I figure that the problems I encounter might be of interest (or actual utility) to others.

Kind of a canary in the mine…

Thanks for welcoming me <g>.

I used to LOVE running Sid! One of my very first Sid instances actually came from a Canadian-based commercial Linux distribution called Libranet. A Canadian from the Montreal, Quebec region managed to get me a copy of it. The gentleman who worked on it was named Jon Danzig; he was located in Canada too, but if I remember right, Jon was from British Columbia, probably near Vancouver, but it was so long ago, I’m not 100% positive.

Sadly, BOTH my friend Ralph Glanz and one of the finest early Linux developers of Debian-based distributions passed away.

Another person, who also became an “Internet friend” of mine, Harold Hope, had been involved with another cool effort. Originally work was done with Kanotix. Long ago it was based on Sid and shared some tools with KNOPPIX; later it diverged and several people, mostly German, developed a distribution named sidux. The sidux effort was extremely good, but as often happens when you have highly intelligent people, several of them were also “hot heads”, and dissension arose in the camp.

Our pal h2 distanced himself from that work; I’m not sure he was ever a direct part of the team or not, but he definitely contributed work. These days we know him for his work with inxi. Another person, who once had the handle Trash80. also used to collaborate with h2, a third person, who we know as “damentz”, has been awesome over the years with custom kernels; we know his kernels as the Liquorix kernels. @h2 can correct me on anything I am remembering incorrectly; I believe his memory is better than mine – his coding skills are INFINITELY superior to anything I’ve ever done. I have good architectural ideas, but I’ve never been a good coder.

These days us older guys like @rokytnji and me write less and rest more! Rok takes care of his dog; I think his dear wife takes care of him (I know my good wife takes care of me and vice versa!)

--
                                Brian Masinick

Robin

several of them were also “hot heads”, and dissension arose in the camp.

Well, sidux was continued under the name aptosid, which has no releases published since 2013, and hence now the current torch-bearer or linkboy is siduction (current release dates from 2023-08-16). (Sorry, but English Wikipedia seems not to know these two, so you’ll have to use something like traduzir paginas web by Felipe PS to read them in your language.)

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Robin. Reason: I meant not ›release is‹, but ›dates from‹

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.