[antiX-sid users only]Do not upgrade (1 March 2024)!

Forum Forums News Sid Upgraders [antiX-sid users only]Do not upgrade (1 March 2024)!

• This topic has 72 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Apr 17-10:42 pm by anticapitalista.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    olsztyn

t does worry me that so many packages are being revised that if I wait until the situation has stabilized, there will be so many interdependencies created that upgrading will be a very complex task to complete successfully and remain nosystemd free.

If I can add my two cents, I paused updating several weeks ago. What is happening in sid makes it close to impossible to update in any consistent way and any attempt of significant update is likely to lead to inconsistencies. You can update a few packages here and there, where inconsistencies are not created in result but that is about all.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

stevesr0

Hi olsztyn,

I was away from home and couldn’t upgrade during that time. When I checked, there were (IIRC) some 313 packages were listed. Over the three days since return, I have been able to get that down to 79 held back (and need to be) and 12 that are upgradeable but not necessary for me.

The holdbacks include the latest versions of pipewire and VLC related packages AND the latest cups upgrades.

So, I feel I am now in a relative “normal” Sid state.

BUT, I do take a lot of time to examine everything (apt-cache depends and rdepends, apt install -s AND aptitude searching) before upgrading only via apt install.

As I wrote above, I look upon myself as the canary in the mine, with the hope that I will find some problems before most Sid users run into them.

stevesr0

Upgraded many packages today (that were not held back automatically). Everything still seems to be working. today’s updates to zvbi packages seem to be tolerated without problems.

Brian Masinick

Just FYI, I realize it’s “different”, but a couple of days ago I put my Flash Drive in the system and ran siduction. The original image is not quite a year old, so when I attempt to update, there are nearly ~2000 package updates; I KNOW it was over 1700 and there were more after the installation to my SSD.

The good news? Where it was BROKEN for a while (and I got rid of it), those problems are OVER and it’s working GREAT once again.

When the extreme volatility of the packages are less extreme, or at least when you can get ALL of the packages synchronized over the entire distribution, (as opposed to some packages attempting to run from one version of various libraries and others working off a different set of libraries), THEN it works GREAT!

Not sure if attempting an antiX Sid will be what you want unless the nosystemD packages are done, but if you want a siduction-like approach (even with systemd) I can tell you, it’s running great once again.

--
            Brian Masinick

stevesr0

Thanks Brian,

If it wasn’t for my “religious” objection to systemd, that would seem to be an easier path for “Siddites” <g>.

Brian Masinick

Thanks Brian,

If it wasn’t for my “religious” objection to systemd, that would seem to be an easier path for “Siddites” <g>.

I have no such “religious” objection or any other objections. Debian still produces excellent software and siduction is one of the best distributions based on Debian, and #1 in the Sid space in my opinion.

That doesn’t change my daily preferences for antiX, but reinstalling siduction renewed my confidence in their excellent project.

--
                Brian Masinick

stevesr0

On a positive note, many nosystemd updates appeared today. Thanks anticapitalista.

Forum Admin
                  anticapitalista

On a positive note, many nosystemd updates appeared today. Thanks anticapitalista.

You’re welcome.
                    However I see pipewire has been updated again by upstream Debian sigh.

At the moment these nosystemd packages seem ‘broken’

policykit-1/polkid
                    consolekit (?)

There may be others

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

stevesr0

At this point, I am happy if my Sid system launches, X starts, music plays and the browser works <g>.

It also seems that some “blocked” Debian packages became installable with your updates. I would have to check the apt history log to detail that if it matters.

I imagine it might vary depending upon what is installed in a particular Sid system.

Brian Masinick

@anticapitalista and @stevesr0 I admire your interests and continued use of Sid.

There are an AWFUL LOT of packages in the Sid infrastructure; out of the ones there, maybe there is a much smaller subset that we can “make due” with in our small initiatives; whether that is sustainable or not; I appreciate what is achieved nevertheless; great work!

--
                        Brian Masinick

stevesr0

Interesting —

apt upgrade is happy to install libcupsfilter1t64, even tho it would cheerfully remove several cups packages in the process:

cups cups-core-drivers cups-filters cups-filters-core-drivers libpoppler-cpp0v5 libqpdf29

AS cups is currently working, I am NOT upgrading libscupfilters1t64.

Just puzzled that Debian is doing this without an explanation of why those packages should be removed rather than upgraded if necessary.

Otherwise, the biggest collections of UNupgradable packages are related to Pipewire nnd VLC. Happily, they are both working without upgrading.

Brian Masinick

Interesting —

apt upgrade is happy to install libcupsfilter1t64, even tho it would cheerfully remove several cups packages in the process:

cups cups-core-drivers cups-filters cups-filters-core-drivers libpoppler-cpp0v5 libqpdf29

AS cups is currently working, I am NOT upgrading libscupfilters1t64.

Just puzzled that Debian is doing this without an explanation of why those packages should be removed rather than upgraded if necessary.

Otherwise, the biggest collections of UNupgradable packages are related to Pipewire nnd VLC. Happily, they are both working without upgrading.

That IS interesting! I haven’t been doing my own local printing for quite some time, so I would have completely missed any issues on this because even if I had the CUPS packages completely removed, I wouldn’t notice the resultant behavior change because my current use isn’t affected by it, so unless I got some “eagle eye” attention, it’d be observant people like you finding this one, not me; thanks for bringing this up so others who may be impacted by this can be aware of possible issues – at least in an antiX Sid configuration.

--
                            Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                            dolphin_oracle

sid will be extra bumpy for a while. those t64 libraries are for dealing with the 32 bit “2038” time bug. there are update a lot of libraries being updated. even regular debian sid users should expect breakage at this time.

Brian Masinick

sid will be extra bumpy for a while. those t64 libraries are for dealing with the 32 bit “2038” time bug. there are update a lot of libraries being updated. even regular debian sid users should expect breakage at this time.

I find that to be surprising, considering that UNIX system vendors and many financial services companies dealt with these very same issues between 1995-1999. I know this first hand because I was involved in the work in Digital UNIX (a 64-bit project), but ALL projects in many major companies took care of the work. Apparently some of the 32-bit Linux work did not undergo the same scrutiny, but I’m pretty sure that Red Hat Enterprise Linux did; perhaps it was only for 64-bit systems and ignored 32-bit systems, thinking they would be obsolete! Well, guess what? As we know, at least a few 32-bit systems live on, more than many people thought possible.

--
                                Brian Masinick

stevesr0

Upgraded pipewire packages today without obvious problem. Thanks, anticapitalista.

Also upgraded mpv successfully.

Total number awaiting upgrade is 62; apt says 43 are not upgradable and 19 are upgradable, but some of the 19 are not compatible with a nosystemd system (like libcupsfilters1t64, for example).

A good day.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 73 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.