[antiX-sid users only]Do not upgrade (1 March 2024)!

Forum Forums News Sid Upgraders [antiX-sid users only]Do not upgrade (1 March 2024)!

• This topic has 75 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated May 1-8:18 am by Xunzi_23.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Xunzi_23

Many thanks to anticapitalista for latest nosystemd packages, Sid update cleaned up final held packages this morning
      On top my Brother A3 MFC inkjet monster still prints which is very good news.

For some reason the propriety Brother drivers will not work on antiX2 3.1 so Sid remains daily driver.
      I tried a lot of supposed fixes but gave up for now. Brother does provide driver updates so hope remains.

abc-nix

NOTE: this is for antiX testing only (not SID)

I wanted to avoid saying anything, as anticapitalista has a lot of work already, but I will report that for antiX testing, the antiX repo is broken because of a pipewire package that depends on the sid fixed which are not present in Debian testing.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
         libpipewire-0.3-0t64 : Depends: libspa-0.2-modules (= 1.0.4-3.0nosystemd1) but 1.0.3-1.0nosystemd1 is to be installed
                                Breaks: libpipewire-0.3-0 (< 1.0.4-3.0nosystemd1)
        E: Broken packages
        $ apt depends libspa-0.2-modules
        libspa-0.2-modules
          Depends: <libasound2t64> (>= 1.2.1.1)
        $ apt policy libasound2t64
        libasound2t64:
          Installed: (none)
          Candidate: (none)

I know that once the t64 packages migrate to testing that it will be fixed, but in the meantime I advise to either disable the antiX source repos for testing or hold on updating until the SID issues are fixed.

stevesr0

(1) Re: synaptic upgrade.

I have the prior version of synaptic working without having either policy kit, polkit, pkexec or console kit installed on my Sid system. The current upgrade of synaptic apparently requires the install of all of these (nosystemd packages).

Is this intended/necessary or am I missing some alternative that allows synaptic upgrade without adding those?

In the past, avoiding these packages has been encouraged. Are they now deemed necessary in general or only if one wishes to upgrade synaptic?

In post #137713, anticapitalista noted that policy kit, polkit and (?) consolekit were still broken. I assume that the recent nosystemd packages represent fixed versions, because apt install -s doesn’t offer complaints about their install.

Appreciate simple clarification.

(2) Noticed VLC upgrades today. Many thanks, anticapitalista.

(3) I remain confused about the cups related packages. Simulating install of libcupsfilters1t64 or poppler-utils leads apt to remove several cups packages and sane related packages. Does this represent a basic change in the cups package collection or some kind of incompatibility issue or (most likely) am I NOT asking apt to install the correct COMBINATION of packages?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by stevesr0.
          Forum Admin
          anticapitalista
            apt install synaptic
            Reading package lists... Done
            Building dependency tree... Done
            Reading state information... Done
            The following additional packages will be installed:
              pkexec polkitd
            Suggested packages:
              polkitd-pkla dwww apt-xapian-index tasksel software-properties-gtk
            Recommended packages:
              libgtk3-perl
            The following NEW packages will be installed:
              pkexec polkitd synaptic
            0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
            Need to get 2,208 kB of archives.
            After this operation, 8,395 kB of additional disk space will be used.
            Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 
            Get:1 http://debian.ipacct.com/debian unstable/main amd64 synaptic amd64 0.91.3+b1 [2,067 kB]
            Get:2 http://repo.antixlinux.com/sid sid/nosystemd amd64 polkitd amd64 124-2.0nosystemd1 [117 kB]
            Get:3 http://repo.antixlinux.com/sid sid/nosystemd amd64 pkexec amd64 124-2.0nosystemd1 [24.5 kB]
            Fetched 2,208 kB in 8s (277 kB/s) 
            Selecting previously unselected package polkitd.
            (Reading database ... 212093 files and directories currently installed.)
            Preparing to unpack .../polkitd_124-2.0nosystemd1_amd64.deb ...
            Unpacking polkitd (124-2.0nosystemd1) ...
            Selecting previously unselected package pkexec.
            Preparing to unpack .../pkexec_124-2.0nosystemd1_amd64.deb ...
            Unpacking pkexec (124-2.0nosystemd1) ...
            Selecting previously unselected package synaptic.
            Preparing to unpack .../synaptic_0.91.3+b1_amd64.deb ...
            Unpacking synaptic (0.91.3+b1) ...
            Setting up polkitd (124-2.0nosystemd1) ...
            start-stop-daemon: unable to stat /usr/libexec/polkitd (No such file or directory)
            Processing triggers for man-db (2.12.1-1) ...
            Processing triggers for dbus (1.14.10-4.0nosystemd1) ...
            Processing triggers for sgml-base (1.31) ...
            Processing triggers for mailcap (3.70+nmu1) ...
            Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.27-2) ...
            Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
            Setting up pkexec (124-2.0nosystemd1) ...
            Setting up synaptic (0.91.3+b1) ...
            Writing Menu: fluxbox
            Writing Menu: jwm
            Writing Menu: icewm

I will rebuild synaptic so as not to need pkexec polkitd dependency (when I get time to do so)

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

stevesr0

Hi anticapitalista,

Thanks for response about synaptic. In the interim, I added additional questions to my post. As printing and sane are working, I can certainly wait for update or advice on how to install without removing needed/desired packages.

There has been tremendous progress in unscrambling the Sid repos from a nosystemd point of view!

stevesr0

Hi all,

Significant resolution of t64 questions!!

(1) parted upgrade which removes gparted

The upgrade works ok if it includes libparted2t64 libparted-fs-resize0t64. The install then adds some other upgrades (I can’t retrieve them at this moment.)

(2) poppler-utils upgrade which removes cups-related, sane, libgimp2.0t64 and libgegl-0.4-0 packages.

Upgrading all of the following at the same time

poppler-utils libpoppler-qt5-1t64 libqt5xml5t64 libgegl-0.4-0t64 libpoppler-glib8t64

doesn’t cause the removal of xsane or of libgimp2.0t64 or of any cups packages or seem to interfere with printing. HOWEVER, on my old Fujitsu computer, xsane launches with menus that miss letters. It scans OK tho. HOWEVER #2, I was knocked out of X back to the command line as the scan finished. This may reflect some “weakness” of this computer, because sometimes the screen in X goes black for an instance.

N.B. One of the cups packages was also upgraded with this apt install combination (cups-filters-core-drivers). I have just upgraded the remaining upgradable cups package (cups-filters) and after posting this, I will try another scan and see if I get blown out of X.the

FOLLOWUP – After install of cups-filters package, the Xsane program shows all characters. I DID get a momentary blackout and the xsane windows turned into fixed images that I wiped away by moving an active window around the screen, but that is I think a separate issue I have had for a long time.

BOTTOM Line.

I only have nano, synaptic and ufw that I wish to upgrade but can’t because they moved from nosystemd versions to debian versions.
                As they all seem to be working fine, I am not concerned about how long it takes for them to get upgraded back to nosystemd.

P.S. There is a 15 page discussion of these problems in the Siduction forum (https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=f84356147755fdf71372035a788398f6&topic=9297.0).

stevesr0

A new bunch of upgradable packages today. All seemed OK and installed without removing anything or warning me of loss of support for a package that depended upon an older version.

X and pipewire and vlc and firefox seem to be working ok.

stevesr0

Beware

Today, lots of upgrades of nosystemd packages to regular Debian versions

stevesr0

Many nosystemd upgrades today, yay!

Question: Are the Debian upgrades of ufw, synaptic and nano OK or do they indirectly drag in systemd or otherwise cause problems? Am not upgrading these because they are a debian replacement for a nosystemd version.

However, it doesn’t appear that any of them introduce a systemd dependency.

In the case of synaptic, several dependencies have recently been upgraded to nosystemd versions (thank you anticapitalista).

Forum Admin
                      anticapitalista

Many nosystemd upgrades today, yay!

Question: Are the Debian upgrades of ufw, synaptic and nano OK or do they indirectly drag in systemd or otherwise cause problems? Am not upgrading these because they are a debian replacement for a nosystemd version.

However, it doesn’t appear that any of them introduce a systemd dependency.

In the case of synaptic, several dependencies have recently been upgraded to nosystemd versions (thank you anticapitalista).

nano is ok to upgrade
                        ufw will need repackaged to include runit service files
                        synaptic will need repackaging to avoid polkit ‘bloat’ (but no source or changelog has been provided by Debian yet).

Note to self – udisks2 and webkit2gtk also need to be repackaged

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by anticapitalista.
                        • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by anticapitalista. Reason: note to self

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

stevesr0

Thanks, anticapitalista.p for the upgrades and feedback.

BTW, amazing change in the visual presentation of upgrades after the apt upgrade. Now appears in color and in a “matrix” which is much more clearly defined.

stevesr0

Hi anticapitalista,

Your comment,

synaptic will need repackaging to avoid polkit ‘bloat’ (but no source or changelog has been provided by Debian yet.

Indicates that your goal is to repackage synaptic to avoid polkitd, policykit-1 and pkexec.

Even tho you have created nosystemd versions of these packages, I will just wait before upgrading synaptic because I only use it occasionally, it seems to be working and I don’t know what the upgraded version provides/fixes.

Forum Admin
                            anticapitalista

Hi anticapitalista,

Your comment,

synaptic will need repackaging to avoid polkit ‘bloat’ (but no source or changelog has been provided by Debian yet.

Indicates that your goal is to repackage synaptic to avoid polkitd, policykit-1 and pkexec.

Even tho you have created nosystemd versions of these packages, I will just wait before upgrading synaptic because I only use it occasionally, it seems to be working and I don’t know what the upgraded version provides/fixes.

Same here since upstream Debian still has not disclosed what changes they have made to their latest synaptic update.

stevesr0

Hi anticapitalista,

I did upgrade synaptic today; I see it didn’t pull in the undesirables (policykit-1, polkitd or pkexec.

Thanks.

stevesr0

Many upgrades yesterday and a few more today. Sid still working <g>.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by stevesr0.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.