Do you Dare to Ask Why?

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Do you Dare to Ask Why?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by lmemsm Jul 16-9:02 am.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

SetHarth

Hello everyone, newcomer to antiX here, after reading this thread here are the reasons I chose antiX over MX and alot of other things.

I love fluxbox, I was setting it up from scratch with mint as the OS, but got tired of starting from ground zero, and was just looking at other distro’s and I stumbled upon this. It was amazing, Debian based, and a big sell for me is that it DID NOT offer any of the common DE’s.

I like that fluxbox is so well configured, (well, all the DE choices are) I also loved the packaged styles, and the custom software like the
    antixcc.sh menu etc. I see that many people complain about the obscure software chosen, like the file manager etc. But I quite enjoy that aspect of it. Seeing all these other options integrated so well that use so few resources. That is really cool I have never had that on flux before. The install manager was really well done, being able to choose the branch I wanted to pull from was a really nice detail among many. Conky out of the box in a simple yet useful configured way, geany as the editor is cool. It has an ‘oldschool’ type feeling to it. Well configured, yet still super hackable when I want to change things.

MX was to normal, there was nothing really special about it. Yet that is probably because I love to change, and tinker with things. I run antiX on a Lenovo x201 with an i5 and 2 gb of ram, so it runs very well, this particular machine is what I take to school. Learning C right now in University, and I love to scare all the other students when they glance over from their basic Windows machine and see this strange simple looking DE with Vim open and a terminal. Which is quite funny because this distro is so easy to use, and is quite well documented. Well, that is my 2 cents, antiX will stay on this machine and I do not plan to take it off. I also hope to find something I can contribute to in the future of this OS.

Cheers

lmemsm
    lmemsm

If anyone hears of any must have apps that people like me might want to cobble onto our systems, let me know, please…

Is there something specific you’re looking for? I build a lot of the applications I use from source code and I’m always looking for, compiling, patching and trying out new Open Source programs to see what’s out there. I tend to try to stick with applications that are lightweight and don’t require a ton of dependencies to build. I love that antiX offers jwm as an option because I do feel it doesn’t pull in a lot of dependencies that I really don’t want to use. I also like urxvt for a terminal program. My preference at this point is to avoid large GUI frameworks like GTK+ and Qt as much as possible. I’ve been searching for applications that use GUIs/user interfaces like FLTK, SDL, PDCurses instead. I also like to use programs that work well from a command line.

I don’t think they’re must haves but you may be interested in looking into some programs such as the following. fifth or netrider make interesting alternatives to other webkit or Mozilla based browsers. I like sfontview and sdl_unifontview for displaying information about fonts on my system. I like picaxo for quick graphics file viewing. perigee is a nice slideshow viewer. I use nano and less all the time on Linux systems. I also often use diffh along with a browser to view file differences. I prefer it to other file comparison tools. xdiskusage can be helpful if you want to know where most of your drive space is being used. flcalc is a lightweight calculator. flrec is a nice, lightweight audio recorder. sdcv is a nice command line dictionary program. pdftext (using mupdf library) in conjunction with grep is helpful for doing a search in PDF files. There are several other programs I experiment with or use. Many of the programs, including some of the ones I mentioned, are patched for my specific needs. For instance, I’m converting a lot of SDL 1.2.x programs over to work with SDL 2.x. If someone is still maintaining a program, I’ll submit the patches upstream. Some of my modifications get accepted and become part of the official version. However, some programs are not actively maintained and others have developers who are not interested in my changes. Would be happy to share my patches with anyone interested in them. I enjoy discussing Open Source development, customization and related topics (especially if the programs are in C or C++). Am also very interested in finding out about Open Source programs that I have not heard about and hearing FLOSS software recommendations from others.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by lmemsm.

BobC

I am always looking for “must have” programs that will get me to change what I’m doing for the better…

That said, I came to the conclusion that MX is different from AntiX in that its oriented more to folks who are just looking to install and run the distro, without needing to learn all about how things work in order to use it successfully. I really didn’t find any killer apps different from what is available for AntiX, unless you consider Xfce4 to be a “killer app”.

My skills are not up to the level of migrating anything tricky, I’m afraid. I am just a tinkerer, looking for better mousetraps and toys, and am satisfied if I can just tweak things here and there…

I’ll check out your programs list, especially the browsers, font info viewers, xdiskusage and diffh, thanks.

poorguy
    poorguy

I came to the conclusion that MX is different from AntiX in that its oriented more to folks who are just looking to install and run the distro, without needing to learn all about how things work in order to use it successfully.

Pretty much says it for certain Linux Distros and certain Linux Users.
    Most people just use a computer and don’t care how it works as long as it works.

If the user is willing to spend the time and learn the Antix how to and the why for than Antix can and will do everything the big flagship mainstream Linux Distros do.

These days (66 years old) I lack the patience I once had and I prefer OOTB install and run Linux Distros.

Life is good.

poorguy

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.
    (Thomas Edison)

BobC

Poorguy, I agree. The same shirt doesn’t usually fit everyone well.

LOL, I don’t have the patience for systems that don’t do what ***I*** want, WHEN I want it done, let alone the patience for one that doesn’t do it quickly, and reliably, or WASTES resources to do it.

You can understand why I really DETEST the MS crap. ….Please wait while we waste your time… ….Do not turn off your computer while we waste your time… So sad…

lmemsm
    lmemsm

Not a fan of XFCE. I liked LXQt and Equinox Desktop Environment. I find a lightweight window manager and custom apps easier to work with than a full desktop environment. Sometimes I’ll just log in at the command prompt (without a login manager) and run a lot of things from the command line and not even go into X Windows unless I’m doing a lot of multitasking.

I think the reason I keep having so much trouble finding a distribution I like is that Linux distributions are typically designed for someone who wants everything out-of-the-box. I like having the base operating system supplied (so one doesn’t have to put in all the work of a Linux from Scratch system). I like that Debian based distributions have a lot of packages already available. So, if something has a lot of dependencies and takes forever to build from source, one may not have to build it from scratch just to try it out. However, I do like to customize a great deal and work with programs that may not typically be found in distributions. I love that antiX has the packages of Debian available, avoids systemd and unnecessary complexities and provides a minimum system that I can adjust as needed.

Netrider is at Sourceforge and there’s a deb file available there. The Fifth browser is available in TinyCore Linux and has more information at Sourceforge (plus a github site). May have trouble finding a package for Debian. sfontview was mentioned on the Puppy Linux forum. I like to check lightweight distributions to see what Open Source applications they may recommend or come up with. xdiskusage and diffh are also at Sourceforge. I’ve done some patching to diffh for memory issues.

I’d like to find a way to share some of the applications I’ve built from source and patched (especially if users aren’t familiar with building things from source for themselves), but haven’t found a good way of doing it. I do have a couple of deb packages for Tuxmath, but I couldn’t even get volunteers on the Tuxmath mailing list to check them out and see if they’re working for anyone but me. I’m not a big fan of the Debian package manager. It works very well from an end user standpoint, especially if you’re using synaptic. However, I like simple tarball packages (similar to what Slackware uses) much better when it comes to creating packages. I ended up creating a tarball and then using the alien program to convert it to a deb file for Tuxmath.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.