Do you use icons in Desktop?

Forum Forums General Polls Do you use icons in Desktop?

Do you use icons on Desktop?

With icons on Desktop or not

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Yes I do13.79%4 votes
  • #2 No I do not86.21%25 votes
  • This topic has 33 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated Jul 18-5:31 am by RJP.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    RJP

Just out of curiosity.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by RJP.
      Xunzi_23

I know nobody using antiX or linux in general who wastes time with desktop icons.

Moving a window a thousand times every couple of months to click an icon is for windozers,
        just use taskbar icons and/or switch to a clear workspace is way more convenient and efficient.

Lead Farmer

No, adding the most used apps in taskbar and using a app finder like rofi or others is the most efficient.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Lead Farmer.
          PPC

I have nothing against having icons on the desktop, I used them most of my life, on windows and on Linux Mint, but having an easy way to switch them of made me realize it’s more efficient to have a small amount of quick launchers on the toolbar and/or the menu, to start my apps. For accessing documents, I find it better to rely on the Recent files IceWM menu (or Zzzfm bookmark) and a nice file searcher (like searchmonkey, a script that uses rofi as interface for the locate command, other nice and fast file searchers). To each it’s own, I guess: do what you like best or think it’s more productive!

There’s no point in slamming desktop icons – most people install antiX by clicking in one ūüôā

P.

marcelocripe

I learned not to need to use desktop shortcut icons (.desktop files) with PPC in your tutorials.

I don’t need it, but I know that many people use it, because I install antiX for several people here in Brazil and most people choose some shortcut icons on the toolbar and several shortcut icons on the desktop, even including myself in zzzFM the folder /usr/share/applications/ in the favorites as the PPC already taught here in the forum.

Windows customs, habits and addictions take a long time to be lost and that’s why GNU/Linux needs to be flexible for these users.

– – – – –

Eu aprendi a não precisar utilizar os ícones de atalho na área de trabalho (arquivos .desktop) com o PPC em seus tutoriais.

Eu não preciso, mas eu sei que muitas pessoas utilizam, porque eu instalo o antiX para diversas pessoas aqui no Brasil e a maioria das pessoas escolhem alguns ícones de atalho na barra de ferramentas e vários ícones de atalho na área de trabalho, mesmo eu incluindo no zzzFM a pasta /usr/share/applications/ nos favoritos conforme o PPC já ensinou aqui no fórum.

Os costumes, hábitos e vícios do Windows levam muito tempo para serem perdidos e é por isso que o GNU/Linux precisa ser flexível para estes usuários.

RJP

I use desktop icons and virtual desktops, because I used to use many programs at the same time. Also custom scripts (or links from script) is easier to locate to Desktop. ūüėČ

Brian Masinick

I will occasionally click on a desktop icon, mostly to understand what it is, what it does, and the way it works, and I do that for two reasons:

1) To know how it works and
                  2) Related to 1), how to help others if necessary.

I will use toolbar icons as a convenience. Alias definitions are a major method I use to access my applications and toolbars are what I click to access frequently used graphical tools, such as browsers, file managers, and editors.

My original background was built from understanding commands. I view graphical interfaces as alternative conveniences and access points to information, not a core method of access unless it’s an environment that doesn’t provide complete console access. Those environments, especially now that I am retired, are reserved for phones or public access sources. I know how to use them but prefer to use mechanisms that I can modify to suit my personal needs.

--
                  Brian Masinick

PPC

Moving a window a thousand times every couple of months to click an icon is for windozers,

I rarely did that, even in my “Windowz” days.. I just did that if I had only one window open (and even so, I usually minimized it). I think that’s what the “Show desktop” button is on the toolbar.
                    It’s not a bad deal – click the “Show desktop” button, access your icons, click what you need to or click “Show desktop” button again to continue where you left off. It’s like pressing the Menu button to summon the menu…
                    I simply dislike desktop icons because they tend to pile up and clutter the desktop, making me wast time trying to find the icon that I want. That’s why I like rofi app-select and jgmenu so much- summon that app launcher, begin typing the name of the app, press enter when you see it (usually I just have to type 1-3 letters and press enter).
                    But folks that just memorize they have to click the button on that precise place on the desktop can be equally fast launching what they need, pariticulary if that part of the desktop is in plain sight.

P.

blur13

No, its a complete waste of time. I only want a desktop background with conky. Not even a toolbar. Minimalistic and clean. Launch programs using keyboard shortcuts 99% of the time. Otherwise rofi, terminal, or menu.

Brian Masinick

No, its a complete waste of time. I only want a desktop background with conky. Not even a toolbar. Minimalistic and clean. Launch programs using keyboard shortcuts 99% of the time. Otherwise rofi, terminal, or menu.

Right on! While I do use a toolbar for convenience, I’m 100% with you. I can also make due with an extremely simple environment and NO toolbar or other prepackaged navigational tool. In that case I’d just add a few more keyboard shortcuts and brief alias definitions and invoke them with 1 to 3-4 key presses max. When I am stuck using some desktop that uses a lot of icons or navigation, I simply define function keys or control sequences to access the things I actually use, and “get around” whatever cumbersome interface is in place.

--
                        Brian Masinick

zblsv

I use icons… One icon only. It is “Files” icon of the Rox. I use Fluxbox and Rox tandem with 4 desktops and many apps with many (6 or 9 at vary least) windows. I use my custom Winmess script (http://github.com/zblsv/winmess) to place all that windows such a way than the conky and two default Rox icons (“Files” and “Help”) is always visible.

Words are carried away by the wind...

andfree

After I switched to linux (almost 15 years ago), I stopped putting icons to Desktop & using them.

andyprough

What are icons? I use dmenu and rofi. I can go weeks without seeing a single icon.

RJP

What are icons? I use dmenu and rofi. I can go weeks without seeing a single icon.

http://opensource.com/article/19/8/how-linux-desktop-grown

“In 1996, Matthias Ettrich was troubled by the inconsistency of Linux applications under X. He wanted to make the graphical environment easy to use. And more importantly, he wanted to make everything integrated‚ÄĒlike an actual desktop.”

http://opensource.com/sites/default/files/uploads/kde1.png

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by RJP.
                                Xunzi_23

An actual desktop is often/usualy/always a total mess. Why emulate it onscreen.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.