Do you use icons in Desktop?

Forum Forums General Polls Do you use icons in Desktop?

Do you use icons on Desktop?

With icons on Desktop or not

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Yes I do
  • #2 No I do not
  • This topic has 33 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated Jul 18-5:31 am by RJP.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    oops

Using icons into Desktop is usually a steep for the new linux users, or children … but after trying without icons, it is more clear (and not necessary with IceWM by default in antiX)

RJP

Using icons into Desktop is usually a steep for the new linux users, or children

Are you sure? 😉

Brian Masinick

What are icons? I use dmenu and rofi. I can go weeks without seeing a single icon.

http://opensource.com/article/19/8/how-linux-desktop-grown

“In 1996, Matthias Ettrich was troubled by the inconsistency of Linux applications under X. He wanted to make the graphical environment easy to use. And more importantly, he wanted to make everything integrated—like an actual desktop.”

http://opensource.com/sites/default/files/uploads/kde1.png

Good article by Jim Hall. In many respects he is right on. The twm and fvwm stuff is right on.

I can think of at least three other activities that influenced changes.

1. In addition to fvwm and fvwm95, fvwm also came up with fvwm-crystal, which is closer to the desktop idea than the first two.

2. Enlightenment was and is a window manager that blurs a few of the distinctions between a window manager and a desktop environment. Like fvwm-crystal I think it just misses the full desktop environment by excluding drag and drop capabilities.

3. Maybe that’s why the third option was omitted. Slightly before KDE was released the Xfce environment was built. Originally created using forms, I think it was Xforms but I can research if necessary to update or correct it. Xfce later, around the third release, moved to Gtk, similar to GNOME but lighter, at least in the basic configuration. To this day it’s a somewhat less memory intensive desktop environment than KDE Plasma or GNOME, though if a lot of additions are crammed in, it becomes a similar size as the others.

4. As we know, GNOME desktop, after the Version 3 changes, evolved and forked at least 2, maybe 3-4 other options, MATE, Cinnamon and it seems at least one other (which I don’t remember because none of them have captured my interest.

Perhaps a few of you have other perspectives and details about this. Hall did a good job but he didn’t mention everything. I probably missed at least a couple of additional things because we all know that there are a lot of window managers and desktop environments available.

--
          Brian Masinick

Wallon

With Linux, all my shortcuts are in the taskbar.
            In Windows, I have many icons on my desktop.

oops

Using icons into Desktop is usually a steep for the new linux users, or children

Are you sure? 😉

Do you have children ?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by oops.
              Brian Masinick

With Linux, all my shortcuts are in the taskbar.
                In Windows, I have many icons on my desktop.

Personally I could manage fine with zero desktop icons but I do utilize the toolbar.

In a pinch I could manage without either of them, but my current practice is to put commonly used tools in the toolbars and I’ve tested the PPC tools a lot with the toolbar.

I can accept either because I am able to modify a configuration to suit my preference and interest.

--
                Brian Masinick

techore

What are icons? I use dmenu and rofi. I can go weeks without seeing a single icon.

lol

me too.

Forum Admin
                  rokytnji

I don’t but my autistic grandson prefers them. So I set him up.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                    Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Mynaardt

I make my own custom desktops to run scripts I wrote.

Most of those scripts are for running several different
                      apps at one time, like when I’m studying and want a file
                      manager open to specific directories, and two to three other
                      apps for editing and reviewing some of those files.

I just found it easier and faster to write a script for
                      those multi-app tasks, and then make a desktop to run that
                      script.

Those are about the only icons I use. And it did involve
                      having me mess about a bit learning how to do both scripts
                      and writing my own desktop icon files. But I got there.
                      AND it works a treat for me!

What have the Romans ever done for us?
                      Apart from: sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, fresh water, and public health?

ile

Desktop icons often have a unique right-click menu, keeping at least one desktop icon for its special controls or more icons when customised click can be made. home folder manager icon at least. trash-to-empty icon, but it is gone; i dislike deferred maintenance.

BobC

No, I only run icons from the toolbar.

Running the desktop to be able to click on them uses additional memory, and typically you can’t see it due to your other windows blocking the desktop from view.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by BobC.
                          calciumsodium

I prefer to either use icons in the desktop or use the menu. I prefer not to use icons in the toolbar. For people like me that have a hard time seeing, the bigger the icons the better. That is why I prefer the icons in the desktop. However, when windows are open and covers up the desktop, then I default to using the menu.

That is why I do not use icons in the toolbar. They are smaller in size than those on the desktop.

That is why when I take a print screen while testing antiX software and share it in the forum, you never see an icon in the toolbar.

Brian Masinick

I prefer to either use icons in the desktop or use the menu. I prefer not to use icons in the toolbar. For people like me that have a hard time seeing, the bigger the icons the better. That is why I prefer the icons in the desktop. However, when windows are open and covers up the desktop, then I default to using the menu.

That is why I do not use icons in the toolbar. They are smaller in size than those on the desktop.

That is why when I take a print screen while testing antiX software and share it in the forum, you never see an icon in the toolbar.

Matters like this confirm my suspicions: different people have different needs, preferences and requirements.
                              It doesn’t matter to me what the default is as long as we have very easy mechanisms available to accommodate personal needs and preferences.

--
                              Brian Masinick

Mynaardt

Matters like this confirm my suspicions: different people have different needs, preferences and requirements.
                                It doesn’t matter to me what the default is as long as we have very easy mechanisms available to accommodate personal needs and preferences.

That’s the beauty of Linux, IMHO – you can set things the way you want, not the ways some corporation wants you to do things…

🙂

What have the Romans ever done for us?
                                Apart from: sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, fresh water, and public health?

seaken64

I answered “No”, but only because on this antiX instance I am using right now I do not have icons. I use the menus. But on some of my other systems I use Icons on the Desktop to launch a program, such as on my Windows desktop. I have no particular preference. But I do tend to use the menu’s more than icons.

Seaken64

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.