Don’t work FreeOffice

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” Don’t work FreeOffice

Tagged: 

• This topic has 15 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Nov 12-8:14 pm by Rey_Aztk.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Rey_Aztk

Hi everybody. I’m a AntiX user medium, and I’m used Antix 19.x 32 bits for a long time with not problems with FreeOffice.

I use FreeOffice like my office suite, because a like it. So, I’m now in AntiX 21 base 32 bits, I installed from the official repos, I put my key, but this is closed so fast.
      I uninstalled the version in repos, and I use my old deb, install ok, but the same problem… so I don’t know if the problem is AntiX or what…

Here a screenshot of the terminal:

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Rey_Aztk.
      Attachments:

Dura Lex Sed Lex

Xecure

Segmentation fault
        Means there is a memory error when assigning or getting the value of a variable from memory.

First, totally purge freeoffice.
        sudo apt purge softmaker-freeoffice-2018

Reboot and try reinstalling again.

Note: Softmaker (the creator of freeoffice) has removed support for 32 bits on their latest release (freeoffice 2021), and are no longer going to support freeoffice 2018 (may be removed from their servers soon).

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Xecure.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
        General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Rey_Aztk

I did the recommended and it did not work. It has the same error indicated. Well now I will look for a light text processor for 32bits … Any recommendation that is not freeoffice or libreoffice?

Dura Lex Sed Lex

Forum Admin
          anticapitalista

How about abiword?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick

How about abiword?

I agree. Abiword can definitely get the job done, especially if the writing can use simple features, bold, italics, etc. Unless you are doing something super complicated I think that abiword will work fine. I’ve edited resumes and similar documents, though I admit that I have not written a 40 page test plan using abiword, though I see no reason that wouldn’t work too.

--
              Brian Masinick

ModdIt

WPS Office is also still available in a 32 bit free version, it is not open source but neither is softmaker.

Rey_Aztk

When I used Puppy Linux, I had a horrible experience with Abiword. But it will install it anyway to see how it is now.

But before any problem, I will see if it also serves me wps … although I think it’s heavy for my 992 MB of RAM.

Thanks!

Dura Lex Sed Lex

Brian Masinick

To be honest with you, it’s going to be difficult to use any installed word processor with 992 MB of RAM.
                    Abiword is as likely as anything to work; otherwise you can try your luck with online tools such as Google Docs; I doubt that you’ll have much better results there, but if you can swap with a large enough swap file or swap partition, maybe it’ll be possible. The tools with antiX give you a chance; hope it does work out for you.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

By the way I just checked out abiword with a simple document and it worked with bold text, wrapping, and a few simple features. But my system is not resource constrained in any way. You’re going to have to be resource conscious no matter which tools you choose. If I find any good suggestions I’ll try to share them with you.

--
                      Brian Masinick

PPC

I do run LibreOffice Writer in a 32bits, 1gb of RAM device…
                        But if you want other options, you can try a 32bits WPS version, available from the Wayback machine here:
                        EDIT: Oops, wrong link… I’m still trying to find a 32bis version…

P.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by PPC.
                        ModdIt

Having same problem as PPC, we need to archive important older software packages.
                          Especially any portable versions like appimage.

But no garantee old versions will run on new releases.

http://www.softmaker.com/en/old-versions Does still show downloads for Linux 32 bit

I would dual boot or prepare a 19.4 Free Office office stick and boot from that as softmaker
                          is not willing to support 32 bit anymore.

AntiX 19.4 is still a supported version so no worry there.

Rey_Aztk

Hi everybody.

I decided to use Abiword to make my documents. It was a mistake.

Keep as I remember when I used it during the time I had PUPPY Linux installed.

Hanging, unexpected closures, and was astonished something that had not happened to me, satured by my RAM and CPU.

Now I’ll try WPS, I’ll see how it goes. Yes, I know that my team does not have enough power, but that’s why I had chosen Freeoffice at the time for its compatibility with the Microsoft suite as its compatibility with my computer.

I already tell you how it is WPS.

Dura Lex Sed Lex

PPC

Now I’ll try WPS, I’ll see how it goes.

If you find a 32 bits .deb file for WPS, please do share the link here, for other users!
                              Also, Moddit presented us, in his previous post, with a link that allows downloading 32 bits .deb filed for Softmaker- FreeOffice is a limited version of Softmaker Office, so you can try it and see how it works for you (last time I tested it, I think Softmaker Office just worked in a limited way, after the trial period expired- but if it works for you, and you can afford it, you can pay for it’s license).

Edit: I just found 32bit deb file for freeoffice: http://www.oldergeeks.com/downloads/file.php?id=3669
                              I’ll try to test it later on a 32bits antiX

P.

PPC

I just tested Softmaker’s FreeOffice rev F982.0109 on a 32bits antiX 19 runnit – at first launch it complained about some missing library, saying it would use another library instead, and then opened. It works great, faster than LibreOffice, but I do prefere using an Open Source Program, so, I’ll stick to LibreOffice- but I just wanted to say- FO works great, even in 32bits, is a nice piece of software, shame it’s closed source…
                                It could be a nice addition to the non free section of our Package Installer (adding this 32bit .deb file)

P.

ModdIt

Hi PPC,
                                  if I remember correctly free office needed a key or registration after some time.
                                  i lost my registration reply long ago for sure.

Just looking on Softmaker site, seems free office is now just that.

For latest Version: 64 Bit only.
                                  http://www.freeoffice.com/de/tipps-und-tricks-linux
                                  Gives download and installation instructions for all major distros. A number of languages available on that page.

also prefer open source, much prefer softmaker to MS Office though..

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by ModdIt. Reason: spelling as usual
                                  • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by ModdIt.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.