dpkg error initscripts, error code (1)

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions dpkg error initscripts, error code (1)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by anticapitalista Sep 14-6:19 pm.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    DaveW

Hi, I’m running AntiX 17 (32 bit).
    It has been awhile since I did an upgrade. I attempted to use Synaptic to upgrade all… But the process closed with errors. When I reopened Synaptic, and attempted the process again, I was informed that there were broken packages. However, Synaptic did not show anything in the Broken category, and the previously “Upgradeable” items were still showing as “Upgradeable.”

After closing Synaptic, I opened a root terminal and ran: apt –fix-broken install
    This returned a list of unneeded and automatically removable files, which were then removed.

Next ran: apt upgrade
    This went well until the following lines:

dpkg error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/initsripts_2.96~beta-1_all.deb (--unpack)
    trying to overwrite '/etc/rc.local', which is also in package fbsplash-antix 0.2.10
    Reinstalling /etc/init.d/motd that was moved away
    Errors were encountered while processing:
      /var/cache/apt/archives/initscripts_2.96~beta-1_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Perhaps I should have upgraded a few things at a time, rather than as a big lump.
    The computer is still running, but Synaptic reports problems with configuration of Firefox and other browsers.
    Your thoughts will be appreciated.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by DaveW.
    DaveW

I think the issue has been resolved… I apologize for the false alarm.

Sometime ago, I installed a program from one of the Testing Repositories via Synaptic. However, I forgot to uncheck that repository before running the upgrade. So, it was trying to upgrade to the Testing versions of various programs. There were apparently some incompatibilities. After unchecking that repository, it looks like the upgrade has succeeded. Hopefully, nothing important was messed up in the process.

I would delete this thread, but don’t know how.

Thank you, DaveW

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Glad you found out the cause and fix.

No need to delete the thread – since it is probably a good warning to others of what might happen if users mix repos.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.