Drag and drop, Right click functions (Solved)

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Drag and drop, Right click functions (Solved)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by bones113 Sep 18-6:28 pm.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bones113

Hi first post here. I am new to Antix but not new to Linux. I am a long time PCLinuxOS user and a member of the forum there. Long story short a friend had a very old laptop he asked me to resurrect. It is a IBM R51 model with a 1.6 ghz centrino cpu, 40 gig hardrive, 1.25 gigs of ram. It is 32 bit only and is a non pae cpu. I installed Antix full on it and all hardware is working as it should. 2 things I need help with is I cant drag apps from the menu to the desktop and also there is no right click function such as copy and paste etc. Could be this is how the distro is built. That is why I am here. Otherwise I find this distro very stable and it works quite well.

Thanks.
    Tony

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by bones113.
    caprea
    caprea

Hi bones113, you can drag and drop apps from /usr/share/applications to the desktop,
    if you use a desktop with rox or space eg. rox-fluxbox, space-fluxbox, rox-icewm (which is the default).

Xecure
    Xecure

Hi, bones113
    antiX comes with 4 (four) different window managers (IceWM, JWM, fluxbox and herbstluftwm) , and 2 (two) different file managers (ROX and SpaceFM). Take this into account when asking questions as things work differently for each of them. Also, toolbar buttons may change from version to version of the antiX system, so specifying what version you are using is also important (antiX 17 vs antiX 19b3 for example).

I will assume you are using the default desktop (IceWM + ROX).

2 things I need help with is I cant drag apps from the menu to the desktop

As far as I know, you cannot drop “apps” from the menu, but you can add .desktop files (equivalent to “quick links” for “apps”). Most of the apps installed will have their .desktop “links” in /usr/share/applications, but an easy way to get there should be as illustrated by the next screenshot:
    Menu { Desktop Selection { Rox panel on/off { All apps { Drag and drop specific app

and also there is no right click function such as copy and paste etc.

There is this function inside any File manager or any other program.
    Are you perhaps referring to right clicking on the desktop? If so, you must know that, by default on antiX, right-clicking on an empty space on the desktop will open the main menu. if you don’t like this, you may change this behavior in the corresponding File Manager you are using.

You must know that all “items” on the ROX desktop are not “real”, but links. If you want real items on the desktop (meaning the files dragged/copied to the desktop are stored as real files in ~/Desktop), please use SpaceFM as main File Manager (by going to Menu > Desktop > Other Desktop > Space – IceWM)

If nothing helps, please explain a bit more about your problems and I am sure we can help you.

Welcome to the forum.

Edit: caprea was quicker, but hopefully something here helps.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Xecure.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by Xecure.
    bones113

I am using the latest full version 17.4.1 I think. Along with the default desktop. Thanks for the reply.

bones113

Thanks for the tip on getting links on the desktop. I guess I have a learning curve on Antix. It is a bit different than PCLinuxOS for sure. It is a good operating system and this old laptop has new life. A good 32 bit distro is getting harder to find these days. My friend will be very pleased with Antix over the old operating system which was Windows Vista.
    Thanks again. I will label this solved.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.