dwm & tools on antiX19 (Highly customized)

Forum Forums General Screenshots dwm & tools on antiX19 (Highly customized)

• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Dec 18-1:07 pm by Anonymous.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    manyroads

For those interested in my antiX19 dwm progress here are a few images of various functions on my Desktop (You’ll note the Christmas backgrounds; I need those for when I show videos etc to my two grandsons. The images are all from http://vlad.studio )

Pax vobiscum,
      Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
      "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
      dwm-hlwm-i3wm-spectrwm-swau-dk ~Reg. Linux User #449130
      20 Jan 2021 ~ "End of an Error"

Brian Masinick

I am *very interested*, in what you have done with your dwm setup and what others have done with their setups – regardless of which window manager or desktop environment is used. Anything that is NOT already either included or easily available is particularly interesting to me.

It’s not that I try out every option, wallpaper, window manager, desktop environment or tool, though once in a while I will do so, I am simply interested in the diversity and creativity that our community has, and I genuinely respect and appreciate the many differences we exhibit.

I see a consistency, functionality, practicality and yet simplicity in your approach. Even if a large amount of resources are consumed, I also suspect that with the tools you have created, you can instantly get to the applications, tools, and sites that most interest you.

I hope many people post their personal preferences and interests; who knows, they may give people ideas that lead to their own unique expressions of creativity, artistry, purpose, or simply experimentation and exploration.

Thank you for sharing your ideas; I’ve not seen quite the same approach anywhere else.

--
        Brian Masinick

manyroads

Thank you Brian. Actually the major resource hog in my numbers includes Dropbox (about 500-750MB) and firefox (which can go through the roof).

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by manyroads.

Pax vobiscum,
          Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
          "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
          dwm-hlwm-i3wm-spectrwm-swau-dk ~Reg. Linux User #449130
          20 Jan 2021 ~ "End of an Error"

Brian Masinick

Resources are not a problem unless you don’t have enough of them.

My primary computer is about five years old and doesn’t seem to be snappy anymore but it still has plenty of memory and disk space, so that everything runs completely from memory and I have room for quite a few distributions that run from many disk partitions.

I appreciate your creativity with your setup, tools and dw,.

--
            Brian Masinick

oparun

It looks and certainly works better that herbstlufwm, that comes with almost any Antix install. Why aren’t we using this customized dwm instead of herbstluftwm?!

Forum Admin
              anticapitalista

It looks and certainly works better that herbstlufwm, that comes with almost any Antix install. Why aren’t we using this customized dwm instead of herbstluftwm?!

because … (add individual reason) – here’s mine.

I’m the dev and I use herbstluftwm and not dwm

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn

@ manyroads – if you are still sometimes looking at this forum:
                  I was not aware of this your post as this was over a year ago and I did not start using DWM until mid this year… I must say the functionality you configured in DWM shown in these pictures is amazing…
                  Thanks for the ideas and Merry Christmas!

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                  http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Anonymous

olsztyn

@ male:
                      This one is an amazing DWM desktop! I did not realize you can do stuff like this… Must have been made with third party tools, not just native DWM config…
                      Thanks and Regards…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Brian Masinick

because … (add individual reason) – here’s mine.

I’m the dev and I use herbstluftwm and not dwm

Yes. Remember that on one hand antiX is extremely flexible and you can fairly easily create your own derivation, if you put the time, research, and effort into it. As anticapitalista says, though the interests and feedback are relevant, when choices are ultimately made, it IS his creation and therefore his choice. Any of us is free to use what’s here and create either our own spin or our own distribution. We’re also free to create something from scratch.

I’m glad that many of us look at other choices and options; that’s what free software is all about. Expecting someone to do whatever we want without expending their own effort is unreasonable and unwarranted. For those who want something else, this IS a fantastic platform for making something else. I personally do it all the time. For me, I’m not making something to support; my contributions are to test and promote software, encourage freedom, and assist in moderating this forum. Others are always welcome to invent, suggest, create, test, whatever we do best. Some suggestions have many times been added to this work, yet that is never a guarantee. What is guaranteed is that freely available software is provided, often with source code available to modify as needed.

Best wishes to all.

--
                        Brian Masinick

Anonymous

@ male:
                          This one is an amazing DWM desktop! I did not realize you can do stuff like this… Must have been made with third party tools, not just native DWM config…
                          Thanks and Regards…

Thanks for the flowers @olsztyn.

This is the pure form of fluxbox in antiX21.
                          I apologize for my mistake. I just saw “screenshots” and posted.

Please, sorry for the confusion.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.