dwmX-1.0 layla

Forum Forums General Other Distros dwmX-1.0 layla

• This topic has 20 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Apr 6-12:54 pm by masinick.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

I got almost there… Can’t get X-windows to start. a few errors in starting…

xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operaation not pernmitted)
    resize called 1440 900

then in .xinitrc

slstatus not found
    exec: dwm: Exec format error

If I knew what I was doing I would be dangerous, LOL

All working now… I realized that it was all 64 bit, so I recompiled everything to 32 bit, and now it works 🙂

Yipeee!!!!!

Using 108 mb of RAM, BTW

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by BobC.
    masinickmasinick

I got both the original USB and the remastered USB created.

I’m about done for today. If I do anything else with it, I’ll simply modify appearance and the apps I have in my remaster, but I’m happy that it is working fine. I did not go with dwm, but I did create a new runit image with IceWM. I tried personal persistent changes in my remastered image this time around.

I can always master/remaster a few snapshots that I’ve created if I have time later on, but to summarize, everything worked fine today, antiX 19.2 IceWM in a runit configuration now on a carry around USB.

Brian Masinick

DWM has some really good things about it. It is memory efficient. I can’t really tell on this machine because it’s too fast, but I’m guessing it is CPU efficient, as well.

It does lack features. For example, add the menu. As soon as I add the menu it’s using more memory than IceWM. It’s a nice menu. Nothing wrong with it, and cool that it works, but expensive. I suspect adding compiled in features is a lot more efficient, but I didn’t really investigate them yet. Maybe adding the right ones would make it everything I would like without sacrificing the efficiency.

One thing I really do like is the simple and efficient status bar. I’m not capable of judging the code, but even I could see how to add another value to it because it was just running little programs to get a result like on a command line. And each value didn’t cost 20 to 45 mb of memory. Other WM’s could learn from that…

masinickmasinick

One reason that I tend to like IceWM is that it has a simple, easily modified configuration, yet the resource usage remains modest.

Brian Masinick

masinickmasinick

After downloading the antiX 19.2 runit full image, I have created a UsB image, added applications and personal modifications, created a line image, then repeatedly modified it, first saving my personal environment, then added apps, appearance changes, and ran the general remaster at least three times, and probably fine times by now.

I probably have to be careful so the USB itself doesn’t malfunction, but at this point I have a USB image that can function as a temporary every day image, useful for either travel or media (hard drive) issues.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.