[SOLVED] emacs woes again

Forum Forums General Software [SOLVED] emacs woes again

• This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Apr 7-10:12 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I refer you to:

Stackexchange

Does antiX install/use dashboard by default? What the hell is dashboard anyway when it’s in town? 😉

• This topic was modified 1 week ago by dukester.
    • This topic was modified 6 days, 21 hours ago by dukester.

--
    dukester

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

Try leaving out the geometry argument for a test.

Instead: emacs file.txt

Does that start up emacs with the file?

If so, either drop the geometry argument or use 4 geometry parameters instead of 2. See if that helps.

Brian Masinick

Nope! Doesn’t help! It’s either an emacs-specific issue – like not playing nice with dashboard, or it’s an antiX issue. Never had that problem with any other distro or FreeBSD. So what is this dashboard? Do you know?

--
    dukester

Nope

Brian Masinick

hi dukester, you might find some inspiration here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/92971/how-do-i-set-the-size-of-emacs-window

# a dashboard is commonly a kind of controll software, one use case is steering remote server. nothing antiX brings ootb.

Thanks for the dashboard clarification.
    I might need to fine-tune the geometry that emacs is launched with, but that is not my current concern.
    emacs loads any and all file from within itself – no probs.
    emacs will not load a file passed to it at the CLI or passed to it via a shell function.

--
    dukester

I had recently installed v27.1 BAD idea! Wouldn’t play nice with antiX, so I nuked it!
    Back to v26.1 ! JOY!! Thanks all for the input!

--
    dukester

You can also the -geometry parameter when firing up emacs: emacs -geometry 80×60+20+30 will give you a window 80 characters wide, 60 rows high, with the top left corner 20 pixels to the right and 30 pixels down from the top left corner of the background.

Source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/92971/how-do-i-set-the-size-of-emacs-window

Also, if the -geometry argument is causing problems, the same Stackoverflow.com reference provides multiple Emacs Lisp scripts that allow you to set the window positioning and sizing from a script within Emacs.

Regarding Emacs 27.1, sorry that it does not work for you. I have Emacs 27.1 on a couple systems, including antiX 21 a2 and it works fine for me. I do not, however, specify either geometry or filenames on the command line; typically I use dired to access the directory or C-x C-f to read a specific file.

Regarding geometry syntax, there are four parameters. Excerpt from man page:

-g geometry, –geometry=geometry
    Set the Emacs window’s width, height, and position as
    specified. The geometry specification is in the stan‐
    dard X format; see X(7) for more information. The width
    and height are specified in characters; the default for
    GUI frames is a width of 80 and a height between 35 and
    40, depending on the OS and the window manager. See the
    Emacs manual, section “Options for Window Size and Posi‐
    tion”, for information on how window sizes interact with
    selecting or deselecting the tool bar, tab bar and menu
    bar.

I tried two examples with all parameters; both worked for me with antiX 21 a2 and Emacs 27.1:

emacs -g 600×400+10+10 .bashrc

emacs -g 80×36+10+10 .bashrc

Brian Masinick

You must lead a charmed life. Didn’t work worth a shit for me. Got it working; I’m good! Thx

--
    dukester

I’ve been using Emacs since 1982. That results in a “charmed” familiarity with Emacs. 😉

Brian Masinick

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.