eth0 eth1 name swap

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” eth0 eth1 name swap

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by fungalnet Apr 17-3:50 pm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    roland
    roland

ver 17, fully updated on an ACER travelmate. Why does boot try to swap the names for eth0 and eth1? When a name exists it can’t swap them so network connexion then fails. Easily fixed with Ceni but why? I find Ceni very useful to fix network connection problems and Wicd almost useless, I can rarely even see the list of networks detected. Any comments? What am I doing wrong?

male
    male

read me guess you “moved” with the first installation ?

roland
    roland

guess you “moved” with the first installation

Not sure what you mean by your question.

This is a first installation of Heather Heyer on this laptop, overwriting Berta Catheres 16.3 to try and fix boot hangs. Not entirely successful but better.

I am in an area of Madrid with many visible networks, 2 available to me with passwords. eth0 is wireless interface, eth1 cabled ethernet and not used. Sometimes on boot I see a message advising the names have been swapped unsuccessfully, name already exists. Usually the default network is then not connected automatically, I have to do it manually with Ceni.

This is not a problem really, more a curiosity. I know very little of networking, just enough to get by.

Forum Admin
    BitJam
    BitJam

ver 17, fully updated on an ACER travelmate. Why does boot try to swap the names for eth0 and eth1?

There is supposed to be a file with a name like /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules which keeps your network names consistent across boots. Is that file there? It *might* have been moved to somewhere under /lib/. I think this file is created and updated by 80-persistent-net-generator.rules.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

roland
    roland

Yes such a file does exist and appears to contain presets referring to eth0 and eth1.

Now that ver 17 has stabilised on this laptop many problems seem to gave gone away or occur only very infrequently such as a one I reported with both ver 16 and 17 concerning boot hangs.

However I have to remark that Berta Caceres 16.3 is still my preferred release.

noClue
    noClue

I can very well imagine that you are having problems with …

… Wicd almost useless, I can rarely even see the list of networks detected.

Your interfaces are messed up (or your statements) — that’s your problem.

computer@computer ~ $ ifconfig
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  Hardware Adresse 00:00:00:00:00:00  
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metrik:1
              RX-Pakete:0 Fehler:0 Verloren:0 Überläufe:0 Fenster:0
              TX-Pakete:0 Fehler:0 Verloren:0 Überläufe:0 Träger:0
              Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1000 
              RX-Bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX-Bytes:0 (0.0 B)
              Interrupt:17 Speicher:d4400000-d4420000 

lo        Link encap:Lokale Schleife  
              inet Adresse:127.0.0.1  Maske:255.0.0.0
              inet6-Adresse: ::1/128 Gültigkeitsbereich:Maschine
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metrik:1
              RX-Pakete:4622 Fehler:0 Verloren:0 Überläufe:0 Fenster:0
              TX-Pakete:4622 Fehler:0 Verloren:0 Überläufe:0 Träger:0
              Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1 
              RX-Bytes:345950 (345.9 KB)  TX-Bytes:345950 (345.9 KB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  Hardware Adresse 11:11:11:11:11:11  
              inet Adresse:192.168.4.99  Bcast:192.168.4.255  Maske:255.255.255.0
              inet6-Adresse: fe20::5e66:11ef:efc2:bc66/64 Gültigkeitsbereich:Verbindung
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metrik:1
              RX-Pakete:89271 Fehler:0 Verloren:0 Überläufe:0 Fenster:0
              TX-Pakete:18278 Fehler:0 Verloren:0 Überläufe:0 Träger:0
              Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1000 
              RX-Bytes:30624371 (30.6 MB)  TX-Bytes:2934999 (2.9 MB)

You can’t have

eth0 is wireless interface, eth1 cabled ethernet

as ‘eth0′ stands for ‘ethernet, the 1st interface’ (== 0; counting starts always with 0, NOT with 1!).

And so:

eth0 is always the 1st Ethernet card in your PC, eth1 is the 2nd and so on.

wlan0 is the 1st WLAN card on your computer, wlan1 is the 2nd and so on.

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

roland
    roland

Yes I think you are right. How do I un-mess them up? These names were generated by the install procedure
    which I did from a CD. I noticed a Wlan0 which is not used as far as I can see although I tried to make it do so without success. It insists on eth0 for wired and eth1 for wireless.

fungalnet
    fungalnet

this is old and unsolved?

# ifconfig eth1 down
    # ifconfig wlan0 up
    # dhcpcd wlan0

then configure wpa_supplicant

The wifi connection is with an onboard wifi card or is it like a cable connection to a separate wifi modem/repeater thing?
    For eth1 to be configured (misconfigured) the system sees it as a second cable connection. If it is an onboard wifi card is there available firmware for it? How about non-free misc-firmware (It has been a while and I am on Obarun now, no access to antix, as the mirrors have failed I gave up).

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by fungalnet.
    roland
    roland

Thanks for that info about ifconfig, very helpful, now I understand something about what is going on and can resolve the kind of problems I have been getting.

fungalnet
    fungalnet

I don’t use wicd or connman or network manager, I always use dhcpcd and it is 100% reliable, light, and fast.
    I am glad to have helped, it is a rare occasion that I can 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.