eudev testers needed

Forum Forums antiX-development Development eudev testers needed

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by caprea Feb 23-9:34 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

I have rebuilt eudev package to use /etc/init.d/udev (rather than /etc/init.d/eudev) and also built some dummy udev packages that (hopefully) smoothly upgrades antiX-17 (fake eudev) to antiX-17.1 (true eudev).

At the moment both sets of debs are in the antiX stretch/dev repo (not enabled on antiX-17)

Before unleashing to the world, I need people to test that the upgrade is smooth.
    I have tested on my box, frugal, live-usb, VBox various possible scenarios and it seems to be ok.

So, please only do this if you can restore if it doesn’t work out or don’t mind a possibly broken upgrade.

Here’s what to so.

1. Make sure antiX-17 is up to date (apt-get dist-upgrade)

2. Add the word dev to the end on the antix.list in /etc/apt/sources.list.d so it looks like this:

deb http://repo.antixlinux.com/stretch stretch main nosystemd dev

3. apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

This *should* automatically replace and remove udev, libudev1 and libudev-dev (fake eudev) with eudev, libeudev1 and libeudev-dev (possibly this deb will not get installed, but that’s ok)

After this, look in /etc/init.d/ to make sure eudev file is removed as well as udev-finish (no longer required) and a udev file exists.
    Make sure that udev file has this line # Provides: udev and not # Provides: eudev

Also check that the hidden .depend.boot in /etc/init.d has references to udev and not eudev.

Finally check there is a symlink file S02udev to /etc/init.d/udev in /etc/rcS.d

4. Reboot.

It should not make any difference if you had already installed an earlier version eudev (as explained in the forums) or you kept with the default.

If you have installed network-manager, a newer version should automatically be installed and set up.

Could you try this out on installed systems as well as frugal/live-usb with persistence.

If you are running testing or sid, then (obviously) you add dev to the sid section of the antix.list

Thanks

NOTE: Do not do this if you are worried it may lead to a broken install.
    That is the purpose of this post – to see if it works on a range of boxes, different situations.

• This topic was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

HI anticapitalist,
    Here’s mine on antix-17-full-32 bit sid repos. Works good so far and all
    sym links were in place. I haven’t kept an eye on ram usage and many devices.
    The mouse and memory sticks work on usb.
    It says using eudev version 232:3.2.5.2 in synaptic now….is this the correct
    one since you wrote “antiX stretch/dev repo (not enabled on antiX-17)” above.
    I also updated to kernel 4.14.14

Attachments:
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Thanks – eudev is version 232:3.2.5.2

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

Okay then synaptic is showing the correct one and updating with just
    opening the repository settings and adding dev to the section
    instead of having to edit the /etc/apt/sources.list.d file by hand.
    Here’s a shot of my emachine on new eudev and 4.14.14 kernel running
    rox-fluxbox on antix-17-32 bit stretch repos.
    Also can I ask if you can remove my previous shots for the 64-bit,
    the machine is now on 32-bit setup.

Attachments:
    Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Hmmmmm. Back to the drawing board for me. Give me some time Anti. I gotta wipe 64 bit MX 17 off the emachine 3507 in the motorcycle shop. Install 32 bit AntiX 17. Install 4.9 kernel. Then do eudev next. Then test card readers on front of emachine desktop in the motorcycle shop.

Stock sd card reader on front of desktop face not working in MX . So losing nothing.

Beer, Bikes, and BBQ. It's what we do. Master of none.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

BobC

I don’t know anything about eudev, but if you say what scenarios that nobody has tested for you, yet, I can probably find a machine to run some tests on for you.

ile
    ile

hello anticapitalista
    installed system antix17_64 stable
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    change sources.list.d by adding dev
    update
    *should* offered is Yes in synaptic includes libudev-dev,, in apt-get does not include libudev-dev
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    fleeting messages libdev-dev removed; a network thing yes (networking only with chosen wicd here manually.)
    in etc/init.d there is no eudev there is No udev-finish there exists udev containing #Provides: udev
    in /depend.boot references are udev
    in /rcS.d link S02udev
    reboot
    Synaptic sources with dev. check.
    Reload to see now no offer of libudev-dev
    quit Synaptic

:box here:=

herehh@hp8440p:~
    $ sudo apt update
    Get:1 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease [63.0 kB]
    Hit:2 http://repo.antixlinux.com/stretch stretch InRelease                               
    Hit:3 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch-updates InRelease                          
    Ign:4 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease                               
    Hit:5 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch Release                                 
    Fetched 63.0 kB in 1s (32.2 kB/s)                              
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    All packages are up to date.
    $ inxi -r
    Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
               deb http://repo.antixlinux.com/stretch/ stretch nosystemd main dev
               Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list
               deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
               Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
               deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
               deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
    $ inxi -b -f -xxx -S
    System:    Host: hp8440p Kernel: 4.10.5-antix.3-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 6.3.0
               Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.5 dm: slim
               Distro: antiX-17_x64-full Heather Heyer 24 October 2017
    Machine:   Device: laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP EliteBook 8440p serial: N/A
               Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 172A v: KBC Version 30.35 serial: N/A
               BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 68CCU Ver. F.60 date: 11/11/2015
               Chassis: type: 10 serial: N/A
    Battery    BAT0: charge: 46.4 Wh 95.7% condition: 48.4/48.4 Wh (100%) volts: 12.3/11.1
               model: Hewlett-Packard Primary Li-ion serial: 01595 2011/08/15 status: N/A cycles: 0
    CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5 M 560 (-MT-MCP-) 
               arch: Nehalem rev.5 cache: 3072 KB bmips: 10647
               clock speeds: min/max: 1199/2667 MHz 1: 1199 MHz 2: 1733 MHz 3: 1199 MHz
               4: 1599 MHz
               CPU Flags: acpi aes aperfmperf apic arat arch_perfmon bts clflush cmov
               constant_tsc cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts ept est flexpriority fpu
               fxsr ht ida lahf_lm lm mca mce mmx monitor msr mtrr nonstop_tsc nopl nx pae
               pat pbe pcid pclmulqdq pdcm pebs pge pni popcnt pse pse36 rdtscp rep_good sep
               smx ss sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 syscall tm tm2 tpr_shadow tsc vme vmx
               vnmi vpid xtopology xtpr
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
               bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0046
               Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: intel
               Resolution: 1152x864@60.00hz, 1280x1024@60.02hz
               OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile
               version: 2.1 Mesa 13.0.6 Direct Render: Yes
    Network:   Card-1: Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection
               driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 5020 bus-ID: 00:19.0 chip-ID: 8086:10ea
               Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200
               driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 43:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:4239
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 16.0GB (40.0% used)
    Info:      Processes: 205 Uptime: 1:04 Memory: 433.2/3747.5MB
               Init: SysVinit v: 2.88 runlevel: 5 default: 5 Gcc sys: 6.3.0
               Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121 running in lxterminal) inxi: 2.3.54 
    $ inxi -xxx -W 20500
    Weather:   Conditions: 50 F (10 C) - Overcast Wind: From the South at 7 MPH Humidity: 93%
               Pressure: 30.03 in (1017 mb) Location: Washington DC (US) Altitude: 12 m
               Time: February 15, 2:36 AM EST Observation Time: February 15, 1:52 AM EST

skidoo

say what scenarios that nobody has tested for

Although I haven’t yet tested, I’m expecting “shouldn’t notice anything acting differently or broken-ly, everything should just work as it has in the past”

fungalnet
    fungalnet

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libeudev1_3.2.5_amd64.deb: trying to overwrite '/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1.6.3', which is also in package libudev1 220:3.2-4.0nosystemd1

Unpacking eudev (3.2.5) ...
    Replacing files in old package udev (220:3.2-4.0nosystemd1) ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/libeudev1_3.2.5_amd64.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of eudev:
     eudev depends on libeudev1 (= 3.2.5); however:
      Package libeudev1:amd64 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package eudev (--configure):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.26-6) ...
    Processing triggers for udev (220:3.2-4.0nosystemd1) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.6.1-4) ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     eudev
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by fungalnet.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

To remove that error do this

dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libeudev1_3.2.5_amd64.deb

Please re-read the opening post carefully.

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    dolphin_oracle

Full update from an old antiX 17 test install.

it brings in a new /etc/init.d/networking init script, but it appears to be working ok with ceni and my wi-fi. It is different than the one BJ put together.

However, running fine. Is the elogind stuff supposed to come in too, or is that extra/optional?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

elogind stuff is optional (but will be included on antiX-17.1 (full and possibly base)

fungalnet
    fungalnet

Since I am on testing and on my first few hours EVER on antix, I took a slower step of switching from libudev to libeudev, then added eudev 3.2.5 and rebooted (I did have to do some manhandling with dpkg from cache as I lost xorg and was asked to throw away the 4.14 kernel … didn’t record how and why, but kept the kernel and went back and reinstalled the desktop stuff). As soon as eudev was installed, luckily it was already in cache as I had lost connection) it all came back. So I rebooted and run inxi -Fxz and all was ok.
    Then I added dev to testing and upgraded to the new stuff. Run inxi again, same good stuff, and rebooted.
    I am now writing from what I came up with. !!! Three thumbs up!

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

You really should have followed the instructions in the first post. But,

all’s well that ends well

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by anticapitalista.

fungalnet
    fungalnet

I know, I like living at the edge. I just lost the back end coming out of the exit, I cranked the throttle and pointed down the straight and it came back at the end. It was close 🙂

And this the day I picked for finally joining antix and in the newbie section one of my first questions was about eudev and openrc.

Half way there!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.