ExLight Linux – Lightweight Live Distro?

Forum Forums General Other Distros ExLight Linux – Lightweight Live Distro?

• This topic has 16 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Dec 23-8:39 am by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

Are these distributions translated into other languages?
      If a Linux distribution doesn’t support translations, it’s much better to use an IOS or Microsoft Windows PC.
      Be careful, it’s not just the translations, it’s also the measurements (metres, centimetres, the size of a4 paper…) when installing the distribution!

Thank you for clearly stating the importance of language support. This has also been a major matter of importance for professional grade UNIX systems. Having good language support was a crucial factor many times in obtaining major international contracts for large computer contracts so it matters for everyone, whether it’s a professional contract or making an old computer useful for those who want to make the most of their hardware.

As I have recently used both old and new systems I appreciate the speed and performance of the new ones and the sound construction of certain old equipment.

Dell, Lenovo/IBM (Thinkpad), and Hewlett Packard in particular have produced numerous fine quality products and I have found several old computers that continue to provide a solid experience because of the quality of the components.

I got a lot of good use out of multiple D600 series Dell laptops and also the newer Inspiron series. I’ve used several Thinkpad X and T series models successfully and I have used both desktop and laptop models from HP. My oldest current desktop and my newest laptop are HP models.

For the more inexpensive models I have had good success with the Gateway 2000 and the Acer models. In Chromebook systems Acer does really well. In other laptop models I had great performance from an Acer Aspire 5, but a very disappointing experience with their system console. I overcame the difficulty in getting Linux to work with their loader but that finicky console cost me access to everything when I had to reset it and I ultimately gave the system away because I got locked out of my own access and was unable to resolve it in a reasonable way, so that’s a concern and a caution point for Linux users. It’s not impossible but it caused me difficulty more than once that I have not found in other models.

--
      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

From the standpoint of country and language support I would be interested in knowing which companies are the most helpful in various countries.

--
        Brian Masinick

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.