Explain the function of .Xauthority please

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” Explain the function of .Xauthority please

Tagged: 

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Nov 26-10:12 am by Anonymous.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dirkd

I have the nagging suspicion that the problem with firefox (post below) may be related to the .Xauthority file in my home folder (based on some discussions on the internet I read), but I don’t understand what it does, and what I can do with it. I do know that tampering with it is extremely dangerous. Merely changing its permissions was enough to break the firefox-52.9 browser on my Antix-17 environment. Changing them back, or replacing the file from a backup didn’t restore the browser’s functionality, and I had to start over with a fresh copy, along with some reboots, to eventually restore things to normal.

So who can teach me about the role and usage of this mysterious file?

dirkd

It’s clear by now that ~/.Xauthority has nothing to do with the problem mentioned in
        https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/old-version-of-firefox-refuses-to-run/

But I’m still curious about it anyway :-).

Anonymous

Use of the .Xauthority longstanding (decades) convention and has been thoroughly, repeatedly documented.
          Here’s a recommended search query for use in your preferred web search engine:

.Xauthority linux

Also: .Xauthority debian
          (and follow weblinks to peruse the DebianAdministrator’s Manual)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.