Extra partition is not showing

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-23 “Arditi del Popolo Extra partition is not showing

• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Sep 13-3:16 pm by BobC.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ultas

I installed Antix23 Full for several days. Today I found that my 100GB SSD partition is not showing. I am adding the screenshot here. On the status bar, it said 64 GB is free, but there is 0 item, though it is mounted.

Attachments:
      abc-nix

On the top menu, go to “Devices”, “Settings”, “Show”, and enable Internal Drives and whatever other mountpoints you need.

ultas

On the top menu, go to “Devices”, “Settings”, “Show”, and enable Internal Drives and whatever other mountpoints you need.

Thank you friend. All are selected according to your suggestion. Look at the screenshot below.

Attachments:
          BobC

Is there a reason you don’t have empty drives checked?

Also, maybe click the main window underneath, then right click, and click view, then check the hidden files option. It says there are no files, but maybe they are hidden.

PS: I don’t think empty drives is the problem. What kind of partition is it? Use Gparted from the System menu and switch to that drive and take a screenshot of how its laid out…

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by BobC.

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

ultas

Is there a reason you don’t have empty drives checked?

Also, maybe click the main window underneath, then right click, and click view, then check the hidden files option. It says there are no files, but maybe they are hidden.

PS: I don’t think empty drives is the problem. What kind of partition is it? Use Gparted from the System menu and switch to that drive and take a screenshot of how its laid out…

Thank you for your kind reply. First of all I store my files in this partition. So, there is’nt any hidden file here. The gparted screenshot I attached below.

Attachments:
              PPC

Hi- my first assumptions were that it was a NTFS partition having problems being correctly mounted or that the files were for some reason hidden. I can see it’s a ext4 partition and you say the files are not hidden, so I searched on-line for similar problems and I come up with http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/686084/mounted-hard-drive-is-not-showing-any-files , that seems to be about an USB connected drive or a similar problem (part of the files not showing up)- http://askubuntu.com/questions/952233/folders-not-visible-in-mounted-drive-but-space-is-occupied

So I have to ask… is there any change the drive is damaged? Can you access that partition using another File Manager (like Rox or MC, both included in antiX), or via the terminal?… or using another Distro?

P.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
                BobC

Not sure how you know there are no hidden files.

In a terminal type
                  ls -la /media/f046cb and press tab key to fill the rest of the folder name, then press enter. paste the results here if it isn't too long

abc-nix

Sorry. I didn’t understand the OP properly and made a bad suggestion.

You will have to check how the partition was mounted:
                    mount -l | grep sda3
                    and edit /etc/fstab if it is pessent there. I would unmount it first and mount it from terminal just to be sure it isn’t zzzfm that is not mounitng it properly.

And you could also follow BobC’s suggestion to check if the files can be listed at all.

ultas

Sorry friends, I feel fear about my backup files. So, do not want to take risk. I give up testing Antix23 and install LinuxMint xfce. Everything is ok. My backup partition and files are there as I knew, bluetooth working well, volume icon is in panel, sound is loud and there is not anything which stop loading for more then 1 minute at startup (new problem, adding screenshot as attachment). Xfce is quite heavy, took around 1gb ram and much slower then Antix icewm. But I don’t have to worry about anything. Eagerly waiting for the next Antix24. Until then Goodbye.

PPC

Well, users should use the OS that works for their needs. If you are happy with Windows, MacOS, Ubuntu or Mint, stick with those OSes.

As much as I want to make antiX about as easy to use (and, to be honest as nice looking) as, say MX, Ubuntu or Mint, we are a small Distro…
                        Sometimes (or should I say many times), stuff is handled by anticapitalista alone. Any user wanting to install to an UEFI computer, or people having problems having Pipewire starting (like me):
                        – there are problems, yes, but also (seems to be?) easy solutions for both this problems: serious: open the terminal, copy and past 2 blocks of commands, and (hopefully) everything works correctly.
                        Yes. You do not have to do that on Windows, or on an Ubuntu based distro- because they are backed by corporations, that have money to test every single detail of the OS before releasing it… and even so, Bill Gates got a blue screen of death in a Windows presentation…
                        MX-Linux, that has deep ties with antiX has a much bigger user base (so, much more beta testers) and (I think) a bigger Dev Team- so their newest release does not seem to be plagued by any major problems.

What antiX does, that no other of the OSes I mentioned does is running, and running fast, even on 20 years old systems. You won’t be able to run software that needs modern resources (like very fast disks, many Gb of RAM, or many CPU cycles- that a 20 years old system does not have). But it allows you to run software that does the same basic task that you want done- like lighter web browsers, e-mail clients, messengers, games, word processor, spreadsheet, listening to music, watching video, streaming audio/video, reading documents/ebooks, etc.
                        antiX also allows modern computers to make a better use of their resources.

But no OS is perfect. If antiX has problems allowing you to see your files (and I’ve been in this forum for quite some years and never saw anyone with that problem) you can either try to find a solution within antiX or choosing another OS… with all it’s benefices, but also new problems and slowness (when compared to antiX)…

P.

BobC

It still bothers me that it said space was used, but didn’t list the files in the 2nd pic after the drive had been mounted.

We don’t have the info needed to analyze it, and its not a problem anyone else has or had, so I don’t see there is anything we can do.

I see he must also have had a booting delay issue, but again no details on which to base any investigation.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.