Extra Thread for Browser questions. ?.

Forum Forums Administration Site Help Extra Thread for Browser questions. ?.

Tagged: 

• This topic has 110 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated Sep 23-11:17 pm by ventus.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    ModdIt

As the Browser is for most users the one essential tool, a lot of questions are repeatedly asked, repeatedly answered. in many cases after a couple of weeks because the user searched but the answer was not found.

Might I suggest to have an extra forum thread for Browsers, it would offer (if we all are disciplined) Clear and concise information and answers to the most common questions in one place rather than scattered through thousands of posts in varying subject threads.

I was already discussing with user anilkagi whether we might reduce for example the thread on tor signature verification to Initial question. Info on possible problems with Tor. Answer = tested Howto.

Reason is that a number of posts were made which would make tiring reading for anyone interested. i already trimmed my posts, if I could I would remove all except those bringing us to a solution for the questioner.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I made this thread “sticky” so that it remains near the top.

Add to it and tune it as you wish.
    If you need assistance ask a moderator for help. I am one of the volunteer moderators (part time).

Brian Masinick

anilkagi
    Helpful
    Up

Aye. Nice suggestion, @Moddit. It would help.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

If you dislike the Firefox rubbish Popdown menu, Ads aka topsites, rich results (no you do not get rich, mozilla bosses do) and search suggestions you can restore the old style. Until Mozilla stops us breaking the browser that is. Disconnect from Internet Before starting firefox after every update, go through settings,
    they may well have been “repaired”, to take away your privacy..

New method. In /home/youruser/.mozilla/firefox/”something”.default-release you will find your firefox profile
    Create a folder “chrome” in that folder a text file called userChrome.css
    Paste in, as usual you will have to fix minus minus in front of urlbar-toolbar-height, urlbar-height
    save, restart FF and enjoy. The tip was passed on to me, I do not know who wrote the fix so uable to give credit, but it is working fine.

/* Disable new Megabar in Mozilla Firefox – Start */
    #urlbar[breakout][breakout-extend] {
    top: calc((var(- -urlbar-toolbar-height) – var(- -urlbar-height)) / 2) !important;
    left: 0 !important;
    width: 100% !important;
    }
    #urlbar[breakout][breakout-extend] > #urlbar-background {
    animation-name: none !important;
    box-shadow: none !important;
    }
    #urlbar[breakout][breakout-extend] > #urlbar-input-container {
    height: var(- -urlbar-height) !important;
    padding-block: 0 !important;
    padding-inline: 0 !important;
    transition: none !important;
    }
    .urlbarView {
    margin-inline: 0 !important;
    }
    .urlbarView-row {
    padding-block: 0 !important;
    }
    .urlbarView-type-icon {
    min-width: 16px !important;
    height: 16px !important;
    margin-bottom: 0 !important;
    margin-inline-start: 0 !important;
    }
    .urlbarView-favicon {
    margin-inline-start: 25px !important;
    }
    }
    /* Disable new Megabar in Mozilla Firefox – End */
    —————————————————————————————————————————–
    you may still like to do some or all of below so left as is

In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising
    to be careful.
    In the preference search box enter “urlb”
    Ensure the following preferences are set to false
    browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled
    browser.urlbar.suggest.bookmark
    browser.urlbar.suggest.history
    browser.urlbar.suggest.openpage
    browser.urlbar.suggest.searches
    browser.urlbar.suggest.topsites
    services.sync.prefs.sync.browser.urlbar.suggest.searches

services.sync.prefs.sync.browser.urlbar.maxRichResults set to 0
    I also suggest to change the trimURLs preference to false. that allows you to see the full url.
    Important for your security. Enabling the search bar instead of searching with the urlbar can,
    depending on your settings increase privacy.
    —————————————————————————————————
    “Addition” Mozilla remotely messed with my settings.
    In /home/youruser/.mozilla/firefox/”something”.default-release you will find your firefox profile

Even when you have switched off telemetry you can often see saved telemetry pings with unique ids. I deleted contents set folder to read only.
    You might also “accidentaly” set datareporting and crashes to read only, after removing the unique id`s from contents if present.
    Look in shield-preference-experiments If the word experiments is found delete it set to read only

Mozilla can and does change user settings remotely, mine were fixed yet again, ie changed from what i had set

I also suggest to change the trimURLs preference to false. that allows you to see the full url.
    Important for your security. Enabling the search bar instead of searching with the urlbar can,
    depending on your settings increase privacy.

You can also go to your firefox installation and remove: crashreporter, crashreporter.ini pingsender, updater updater.ini
    no matter whether you or the distro provide updates.

In the folder browser subfolder features you will find hidden extensions, firefox runs perfectly well without them,
    I deleted all.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by ModdIt. Reason: clarity
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by ModdIt. Reason: Addition
    Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

My Contrib

https://wiki.debian.org/WebBrowsers

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

My Contrib

https://wiki.debian.org/WebBrowsers

Thanks Roki! That is a good summary and reference.

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

Just another small contrib. For those that know how to use it.

https://pkgs.org/

Getting harder and harder living in a 32 bit world. Especially if non pae.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Firefox 81 has media controll (hijacking) incorporated, if you have unexpected behavour of your
    keyboard media controll or volume controll buttons on Laptop or desktop keyboard it might well
    be the culprit. I had no sound at first, yet again another idiotic feature enabled by Mozilla as
    default.
    To fix the problem: go to about:config and set
    $ media.hardwaremediakeys.enabled to false
    restart firefox.

catfood
    Helpful
    Up

I saw Iceweasel in antix/mx package installer, wondering if people we’re migrating that way. Firefox was good, but I am starting to be suspect of their current models… Your fix seems like a firefox patch, though, not sure how well i could do it.

Curious what direction antix is headed. This seems to be a recurring topic everywhere of late…

Howdy Jessie.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Hi, again,
    I removed Iceweasel a while back so no advice on latest. It had the
    tendancy to bad memory creep. Was also pinging away merrily to Mozilla and needed
    about:config settings changed to satisfy my privacy wishes..

I still use Firefox for some sites, will do until they
    kill our configuration options. And although I too am not happy about some “Mozilla
    Innovation” Firefox is still perhaps the best vetted browser due Tor project.

I am running latest bundle from a home directory, call it with a different (unusual) name
    so mining or other nefarious scripts have a hard time starting it headless in background.
    Means change the name of the binary from firefox-bin to something else and put a starter
    in personal menu.

Some sites like my bank only work with mainstream browsers, their IT deparpment
    is scared of having to vet too many browsers and I think impliment some advanced
    fingerprinting. User agent spoofing just makes the site unusable. Fox works.

No magic in the suggestions here, all are easy and safe to do.

I also add a user.js from
    https://github.com/arkenfox/user.js/blob/master/README.md
    I pointed to the readme because, you should get some understanding of what it does,
    Firefox has thousands of options so enjoy..

The userjs may break a few sites, i do find it pretty balanced though.
    Keeping that up to date is described on the quoted site, there are tools to do so.

NEVER RUN THOSE TOOLS AS ROOT: NO SUDO. NO NEED.

I use Badwolf for many sites, palemoon for some. Tor where adblocker blockers stop my
    reading, in some cases it gets around geblocking too.

If you need help, please ask, this applies to all reading here. We can only make advice or
    instructions fireproof with feedback from users who are baffled or confused.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Since there are so many concerns about Firefox and Chrome, have any of you tried Waterfox?

It’s based on the Firefox engine and claims to not collect or send any information to anyone.

Who knows what is really true these days.

Waterfox is updated about on a monthly basis and package installer has Waterfox Classic and Waterfox Current.

Amy comments on it, one way or the other?

Brian Masinick

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Waterfox is security wise in some ways not so much an alternative for me as far less focus is on it,
    i like it but it is very much a heroic one man project.
    It broke just as many sites as Palemoon while using more memory, last time I checked it had around 500
    bugs open too.

With regard to firefox:
    I dislike some of the things Mozilla does, especialy the fact that Firefox comes with opt out telemetry and
    as delivered crash reporter which can be triggered remotely to give a memory dump. Plus hidden extensions
    some like screenshot can be triggered remotely.. Why is that there, my guess is on orders from an agency.

Advantage is much research work from TOR project and the already compiled and regularly updated user.js
    which has been a long term project from many contributors.
    Biggest at present I think Thoren Oakenpants.

You can also bin a lot of the “included features” in firefox and it still works fine, from a user point of
    view that is.

Chrome is absolute no go, If at all the ungoogled version might be liked by some users.
    It has no room on my computer. The only thing which is sure about chrome is it gathers plenty of data for
    google.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

What you say may be true.
    For my needs most of the browsers work fine including Waterfox.

Brian Masinick

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Palemoon dropping official 32 bit binary support. Yet another move away from supporting older machines by the lead developers.
    Announcement as below. This does not mean Steve Pusser will stop building for 32 bit Debian.

v28.16.0 (2020-11-24)
    This is a development and security update to the browser.

Note for Linux users: With CentOS 6 going end-of-life, this version will be the last for which we will be building 32-bit Linux official binaries to download. While your distribution may choose to continue offering 32-bit versions of the browser, built from source by the maintainers, we won’t be offering any further official 32-bit Linux binaries on our website. Please check with your distribution’s package maintainers to know if further 32-bit support will be available on your particular flavor of Linux.

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Annoying firefox problem

Tabs are detached to new window randomly while moving the mouse (sometimes without even klicking, but this isn’t true really; firefox has a delay in processing klick events and hence catches sometimes things which are not intended for him even some seconds after).
    It is really annoying, since it steals focus while you are keying in something into a form on any webpage.
    After lengthy research, I found out this annoying behaviour is a well known bug at mozilla indeed, known for years, and they provided a setting in about:config to correct this from ver.74 upwards. This corrects the behaviour without loosing the capability of reordering tabs by dragging with mouse and detaching them using context menu (right click on tab).

From my experience it seems the greater a problem, the weaker the hardware is you are running on.
    After putting seperated tabs in their original place hundreds and hundreds of times I decided to try to stop this and started to research. After a good hour of reading tons of reports, partly suggesting to install an outdated add-on to prevent firefox from this, I found an appropriate solution in a lengthy discussion (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=727420#c59).

The working solution is:

browser.tabs.allowTabDetach     false

Since antiX includes explicitly users of hardware less powerfull and well advanced in years also (the hardware, of course!), I’d suggest to deactivate this setting in antiX releases as standard behaviour for firefox, if possible.
    So inexperienced users don’t suffer from this annoying bug when using weaker hardware.

My experiences are based on two antiX persistant stick “installs” both using firefox:

firefox 78.4.1esr (32-bit)
    antiX-17.4.1_386-full Helen Keller 28 March 2019 fully upgraded using apt-get upgrade and antiX USB remastering tools
    Kernel: 4.9.240-antix.1-686-smp-pae i686 bits: 32
    Intel Pentium M 32bit
    type: MCP
    arch: M Dothan 
    family: 6
    model-id: D (13)
    stepping: 8
    microcode: 20 
    L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
    bogomips: 1596 
    Speed: 800 MHz
    min/max: 800/1733 MHz
    Core speed (MHz): 1: 800 
    Flags: acpi apic bts clflush cmov cx8 de dts est fpu fxsr mca mce mmx msr mtrr nx pae pbe pge pse sep ss sse sse2 tm tm2 tsc vme 
    Graphics: NVIDIA NV43M [GeForce Go 6600]
    driver: nvidia
    resolution: 1440x900~60Hz 
    OpenGL renderer: GeForce Go 6600/PCIe/SSE2 v: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.137 direct render: Yes 

as well as on

firefox 68.12.0esr (32-bit)
    antiX-17.4.1_386-full Helen Keller 28 March 2019 fully upgraded a couple months ago using apt and antiX remastering tools.
    Kernel: 4.9.160-antix.2-486-smp i686 32bit
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 32bit
    type: UP 
    arch: K7 Palomino+
    family: 6
    model-id: 8
    stepping: 1
    microcode: N/A 
    L1 cache: 128 KiB
    L2 cache: 256 KiB
    bogomips: 3319 
    Speed: 1660 MHz
    min/max: N/A
    Core speed (MHz): 1: 1660 
    Flags: 3dnow 3dnowext 3dnowprefetch cmov cx8 de fpu fxsr mca mce mmx mmxext msr mtrr pae pat pge pse pse36 sep sse syscall tsc vme vmmcall 
    Graphics: AMD RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO]
    driver: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa)
    resolution: 1152x864~75Hz
    OpenGL renderer: Mesa DRI R200 (RV280 5960) x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE DRI2 v: 1.3 Mesa 13.0.6 direct render: Yes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.