Extra Thread for Browser questions. ?.

Forum Forums Administration Site Help Extra Thread for Browser questions. ?.

Tagged: 

• This topic has 65 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated Feb 20-11:32 am by ModdIt.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-distributors-frustrated-by-googles-new-chromium-web-browser-restrictions/#ftag=RSSbaffb68 is another post about the API that is planned to be removed on March 15.

Brian Masinick

PPC pointed me to an interesting browser project I had not heard of before. LibreWolf.
    Project Statement starts with:
    This project is an independent “fork” of Firefox, with the primary goals of privacy security and user freedom.
    It is the community run successor to LibreFox

LibreWolf is designed to minimize data collection and telemetry as much as possible.
    This is achieved through hundreds of privacy/security/performance settings and patches.
    Intrusive integrated addons including updater, crashreporter, and pocket are removed too

LibreWolf is NOT associated with Mozilla or its products.

Sounds good.
    The browser comes as a 53 M Flatpack or an appimage 77 M, pretty small compared to the behemoth it is
    descending from.
    No Deb packet on the download page at present. Does not mention 32 Bit. Or I have not found that yet.
    Uses current Firefox extensions. I opened the addons page and just dragged firefox extensions and
    Language packs in to the window, waited a moment and thay could be added without issue. Installing
    addons from file is also quick and very easy. One less tracking vector if checking for addon updates is
    disabled, just install in tor live then copy over, clean Tor..

Stability on bullseye and 19.3 ok so far as i can see. Still first day so not sure on site compatibility.
    More details at
    #https://librewolf-community.gitlab.io/
    #https://librewolf-community.gitlab.io/docs/

Again, many Thanks to PPC for the pointer to this very interesting project…

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

LibreWolf sounds interesting and I hope to take a look at it.

Brian Masinick

UNSTABLE DEB ONLY. FOR INFO

There is a Very Fresh unstable deb package for LibreWolf available @
    https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/bgstack15:/aftermozilla/Debian_Unstable/amd64/

Filename: librewolf_84.0.2-1_amd64.deb
    Path: /repositories/home:/bgstack15:/aftermozilla/Debian_Unstable/amd64/librewolf_84.0.2-1_amd64.deb
    Size: 54M (57091728 bytes)
    Last modified: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 17:25:15 GMT (Unix time: 1611854715)

Mirrorlist as below.
    https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/bgstack15:/aftermozilla/Debian_Unstable/amd64/librewolf_84.0.2-1_amd64.deb.mirrorlist

I will try and install the deb on a live Bullseye stick tomorrow pulling dependency’s from UNSTABLE as necessary.

Here now with the previously downloaded LibreWolf Appimage running from download directory. Up to now no issues.
    Have NoScript, LocalCDN, MetaGer search plugin, Language Packs. All working as expected.

Now more clearly tagged that packet is sid, might break some toys.
    On stable and Bullseye at present use appimage. Or be prepared to fix any problems.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by ModdIt. Reason: Add clearer tagging package state
    skidooskidoo

https://librewolf-community.gitlab.io/docs/

This project is an independent fork of Firefox, with the primary goals of privacy security and user freedom.
    It is the community run successor to LibreFox

@moddit
    In that page, please click on the “LibreFox” hypertext link, and read

https://github.com/intika/Librefox

This project aims at enforcing privacy and security of Firefox without forking the project.

Librefox uses more than 500 privacy/security/performance settings, patches, Librefox-Addons (optional) and a cleaned bundle of Firefox (updater, crashreporter and Firefox’s integrated addons that don’t respect privacy are removed).

The difference, (“fork” vs “custom build”) represents an important distinction.
    The sustainability of their project hinges primarily on ability to keep pace with changes occurring, across versions, in firefox mainline ~~ patching to remove/disable (anti)feature components (e.g Pocket) and shipping a user.js which sports more-privacy-friendly default preferences.

A “custom build” approach is much (much!) more viable than a fspork.

If an antiX user hopes to trial LibreWolf, understand that only the AppImage -packaged product is suitable (unless you are willing to enable debian sid/unstable repository) (and, possibly, would need to occasionally manually grab a few packages from debian ‘experimental’ repo)

I will try and install the deb on a live Bullseye stick tomorrow.

Before you waste your time, skim the open issue tickets at the LibreWolf project.
    Nevermind, I’ll paste here to save ya a click or two…

https://gitlab.com/librewolf-community/browser/linux/-/issues/125

these are built with debian unstable in mind the package manager will complain for ubuntu users.
    I also cannot test how stable and reliable those builds are because i run ubuntu. 🙂
    -=-
    Some packages could not be installed…
    -=-
    😄 like I said these are for Debian unstable(sid).
    Disable that repository upgrade to Debian I unstable and then you’ll be able to use it

@skidoo,
    thanks for the comments and warnings.
    I posted the info text from the LibreWolf site, did not really see the point in adding further info about librefox as it is dead
    since 2019.

I am posting running from the appimage.

Regarding trying to install on a Bullseye stick I am aware of the probable need to change repos for dependencys and the fact I may
    well have issues/break something. Having run sid for a while no fear of that, most problems are resolved after a couple of days.
    I do experiments on a live stick so I can recover from problems in a few minutes by installing my latest backup iso image.
    One of the reasons I really love antiX. With a few precautions learning by doing is very safe.

As far as keeping up with the FF build cycle is concerned I am guessing that a lot of the work is automated. At least with regard
    to the usage of Arkenfox User.js and removing the hidden extensions plus crashreporter updater etc is concerned that can easily be
    done with a script. Mine is primitive and crappy but with some capable help becoming a one click job with some user choices of what
    to remove as well as updating user.js and cleaning prefs with arkenfox/ghacks scripts. I do go read on the site first to check for
    known issues.

Some of the work done is in form of a policy, in LibreWolf it is pretty interesting/extensive.

Much to learn trial or break for sure, it helps a bit with LockdownBluez.

WARNING INFO Can not Recommend LibreWolf package from
    https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/bgstack15:/aftermozilla/Debian_Unstable/amd64/

The provided deb will install in bullseye, all dependencys are met.

BIG CAVEAT the present package both breaks an installed firefox and has nowhere near the security
    and privacy level of the appimage. version. The config leaves the impression of a somewhat near to
    standard Firefox, at least in my experimental install on 01.02.2021.

So at least for now, PLEASE USE THE APPIMAGE.
    I would see the Deb for experiments or lockdown boredom only, preferably on a live system so a shutdown without
    saving changes reverts to sanity..

Appimage download available here, #https://gitlab.com/librewolf-community/browser/linux/-/releases#

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by ModdIt. Reason: Clarity More Info
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by ModdIt.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by ModdIt. Reason: Correct info
    skidooskidoo

Thanks for posting the report, moddit.

On the project’s documentation mainpage
    We keep up with gHacks-user.js and pyllyukko’s user.js

The chore of (again, and continually) browser taming is not on my near-term todo list, so I haven’t recently rechecked… but i recall that the pyllyukko tweaked prefs seemed misguided ~~ many of the settings were not aligned with the choices I would make, nor recommend, nor pre-configure for use by a non-tweaking enduser. The ghacks collaborative userprefs list, their docs do a good job of warning “Do no just copy and paste. Take time to understand the implication(s) related to altering each of these prefs.”

LibreWolf has now been upgraded to vers. 85.0-1
    Seems an issue with the task bar was behind late release of flatpack and appimage.
    Now an extra flatpack is available for any users having problems, on antix none so
    far since I started testing this browser.

As skidoo noted config settings are a personal matter, I must add also very much one
    of information. Mozilla frequently renames or re-configures settings, some names are
    to detriment of user rather misleading.

At present I am finding this project delivers very much the Browser experience I have
    wished for without extensive tweaking. I did add NoScript and use instead of the
    included app well knowing that it can and will need intervention on some sites.

I like very much the open nature of the project, complete user.js and policies are
    easily found and downloadable for scrutiny. Search engines are chosen for privacy.

There is a setting for Telemetry but opt in, which is fair and respected. Something
    I am unable to say about FF downloaded from Mozilla directly.

Unfortunately as yet no available deb with the same setup as the appimage which I am
    using.

Librewolf appimage is at present only working solution for antiX, some preferences are locked,
    should the user wish to change those the following procedure will help. It will also help
    with any other newer appimage unpack repack. (unpack will not work on old appimage format).
    Preferences are set in the user.js or the Policy file. Format of the policy is same as that
    produced by the policy generator addon in Firefox.

move/download the appimage file to a new directory and cd in there
    In the terminal run: ./LibreWolf-84.0.2-2.x86_64.AppImage –appimage-extract
    This extracts to ./squashfs-root. Remember to substitute to the correct version number.

Appimagetool is available @:
    https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/releases/download/12/appimagetool-x86_64.AppImage
    add it to your working directory and chmod +x it, then run command as follows:
    ./appimagetool-x86_64.AppImage -v squashfs-root

After any changes do check in about config that the policy is in use, parsing will stop after
    any error, mistakes can lead to a false sense of security or other issues.

A Debian package is work in progress, by the Librewolf community and devs.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by ModdIt.

Librewolf has followed latest FF with a bugfix update for a security Vulnerability.
    Available @https://gitlab.com/librewolf-community/browser/linux/uploads/cfdd906e663aef41c869573abbd0fb06/LibreWolf-85.0.1-1.x86_64.AppImage

A deb for 85.0.1 is now on the download page, expect that to be updated shortly. It will start somewhat faster as no
    archive to open. Also allows for easier removal of pingsender, an extension I routinely get rid of as well as simple
    direct editing of the user.js and policys, policys is as with FF usual are stored in the installation directory
    distribution folder.

To find out what is installed where synaptic is very helpful, mark an installed package and you have a row of information
    tabs one shows all installed parts of the package with system location.

Assuming appimage usage:
    Changing the name extension of the appimage to .zip allows for easy extraction of the included LibreWolf high color icons.
    You can put them in appropriate /usr/share/icons/hicolor folders.
    Making a personal menu starter using the menu manager from control center easy. Need help, please ask.

Please also remember, the included user.js settings put usability over achievable maximized privacy, user may wish to make some
    further changes from about:config interface or add changes to policys. Policys is due appimage more complicated to work with.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by ModdIt. Reason: Clarity

Hi Moddit! I’m glad you are enjoying Librewolf! Do you care to share here how to tweak the included user.js settings for “ultimate privacy”? It’s something I’m interested but never done before…

Pros of using LibreWolf: unlike Firefox, it does not require pulse audio (or being run using apulse) to have audio.
    It’s way faster both starting for the first time and loading most webpages
    Cons of using LibreWolf: as far as I can see, only 2- you have manually allow using DRM if you want to do something like watching Netflix, etc and no localized version I can find (not out of the box, like the official Firefox)- if I try to load another UI language ( Hambgurger icon > Language) I always get a warning stating that LibreWolf is not connected to the internet (probably it can’t connect to Mozilla’s website and download the required extensions)… That can be a bit of a no no for non English speaking users…

Tip: Creating start menu entries for any appimage: I have, somewhere in this forum, a thread on how to automatically create .desktop files for appimages… I don’t usually do that anymore, but when doing it manually I used to: rename the .appimage to .zip, open it, extract the .desktop file(s) and .png files mentioned in the .desktop, edit the .desktop to point to the appimage file path’s and to the path where I copied the desired icon to…

P.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by PPC.

LibreWolf Appearance and screen space Tip, change defaultPref(“browser.uidensity”, 2) from 2 to 1 will reduce Header Bar and tab height, present setting 2 is a default for touch screens.

Hi PPC, you wrote if I try to load another UI language ( Hambgurger icon > Language) I always get a warning stating that LibreWolf is not connected to the internet (probably it can’t connect to Mozilla’s website and download the required extensions)… That can be a bit of a no no for non English speaking users…

Language packs, including German is an interesting subject, today I get a message from addons.mozilla.org that available language packs are not compatible with firefox 85.0.1. = Latest version.
    Normally I look here #https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/language-tools/.
    I have from today no German language support, I think that will quickly change.. Have to figure that out later.

#You ask: Do you care to share here how to tweak the included user.js settings for “ultimate privacy”? It’s something I’m interested but never done before…

Ultimate Privacy is perhaps a poor expression, I will change to further privacy. As is LibreWolf is (to best of my knowledge) pretty well configured for normal usage.
    For sure much more so than Firefox as delivered.

I have changed majority of urls in config to https://qjz9zk as done in TOR, that is my choice, not so comfortable and breaks quite a few sites.
    I Have a hosts file entry for sites LibreWolf and Firefox connects/pings to, If you want it PM me. Also breaks some sites and comfort most uses might expect.
    Every update brings some changes in naming and function of about:config entry’s. Maybe with more breakage.
    If you can accept that, in earlier posts in this thread there was some discussion, some good in depth input/advice from skidoo there.
    Much more in depth information in the net. GHacks is a good starting point I think.

Once we have a deb the menu entry theme and updating can be made easier, that should be soon so maybe we explore that theme later.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by ModdIt.

Language Packs in LibreWolf, For now a workaround. Done from Live stick until extraction of the Language Pack XPI files..

I was able to take other language packs from a freshly setup US English Firefox and temporary new profile. i
    Ran the fox installed DE and PT language packs, PT with spell check extension.
    Took copies of the XPI extensions from the ~/.mozilla/firefox/*default-release/extensions folder.
    Something I do as routine rather than fresh downloads to each computer or live stick used in our household.

Started LibreWolf, opened settings add-ons plugins, pressed hamburger icon selected install add-on from file
    selected PT and DE XPI files clicked open, then install. Worked fine.

Will need to figure out which settings or missing url in config are at present hindering a direct Language pack
    download. My hardened Fox is also affected in same way as LibreWolf so config issue.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by ModdIt. Reason: Clarity
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by ModdIt. Reason: Improve clarity

Chrome Extensions:
    Hopefully of use for those using or trying Goog Chrome alternatives or Opera, maybe others.

Found Google forces developers to only offer extensions in the ChromeStore and makes it hard to download
    them with anything other than original chrome.
    sic. Have created a monopoly on extension distribution to “safeguard users” !!!.

After trying other ways without success I installed some extensions with the goog browser using a fresh
    non updated live stick. Reinstalled afterwards so at least unique var/lib/dbus/machine.id changed.

Then came below to transfer extensions to other machines/browsers.

At ~/config/chromium/Default/Extensions/
    You can find installed extensions in container folders and labeled with ChromeStore ID.

Copy out the extensions, for example in a folder on a usb stick. To install you must remove the
    extension from the container google store id folder. You will see the extension version number then.
    To find out which extension is which without searching open that removed folder, display manifest.json
    as text so you can see extension name version etc.

To transfer to another installation of a Chrome based Browser go to chrome://extensions/
    through the search bar or jigsaw puzzle icon or through settings extensions.

In the extensions page activate developer options, then load unpacked extension.
    Navigate to the extension you wish to use, load it and enjoy.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.