Extra Thread for Browser questions. ?.

Forum Forums Administration Site Help Extra Thread for Browser questions. ?.

Tagged: 

• This topic has 91 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated May 8-3:26 pm by Budgie.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

I’m using a personal copy of Firefox 85.0.1 that I download and regularly update. I also have a directory containing Firefox Beta and another with Firefox Nightly. On most of my Linux distributions I’d say that the overall set of features and performance of Firefox are as good or better than other options. A few are lighter, a few have this feature or that feature, but without having to chase around or have a high degree of paranoia about it, Firefox works fine for me.

On my phone I happen to like using the Brave Web Browser. Like most of the browsers, it also has its own means of paying for itself with advertising. Let’s face it, we either have to pay for something with our income or through advertising; everyone has to support themselves somehow. This is not inherently “evil”, it is necessary. There is source code available for more than one Web browser. No, it’s NOT easy to build and that is why so few of us, other than developers, build Web browsers.

These two browsers are decent examples of browsers that do get some revenue from advertising and some by making deals with other companies.
    From what I can tell I seldom get spammed directly from this browsing; lately I’ve seen stuff directly texted to my phone number; that device is at least as intrusive, if not more so. Like the computer, I can turn it off or leave it on a shelf if I want complete privacy. If I want “convenience”, chances are at least some “privacy” is compromised. If I walk outside of my room, “someone might see me and know what I am doing’. Who cares? Nothing has been stolen from me. I don’t have a lot to hide. But I do have a choice of when to use these conveniences and when to shut them off. That’s good enough for me.

Brian Masinick

Cons [..] you have manually allow using DRM if you want to do something like watching Netflix

IMO, this behavior is absolutely not a “con” (aka antifeature)

If you do choose to allow, understand that download//installation of the WideVine DRM is a one-way operation ~~ it cannot later be “uninstalled”. The component does _permanently_ create a fingerprint based on your details of your operating system. If you recall (or go lookitup), Netflix had shunned linux for years, until a durable fingerprinting mechanism was in place.

You should investigate/test:
    After it has been installed, are you [popup] asked each time some website wants to “check”? Or, forevermore, can any website silently initiate WideVine auth handshake (for no reason of benefit to you, they just want to track/fingerprint)? Can you enforce a preference “before activating WideVine, ask me each time”? If you grant permission for a given website (er, domain), is it a permanent grant or can you insist on being asked each time?

Cons [..] no localized version I can find

Will need to figure out which settings or missing url in config are at present hindering a direct Language pack
    download.

^—v

https://gitlab.com/librewolf-community/browser/linux/-/issues/40

lockPref(“intl.locale.requested”, “en-US”) is probably to reduce fingerprinting

> > Do you care to share here how to tweak the included user.js settings for “ultimate privacy”?
    > > It’s something I’m interested but never done before…

Ultimate Privacy is perhaps a poor expression, I will change to further privacy.

For howto info:
    you can go here, skimread the page, then click the “Wiki” link: https://github.com/arkenfox/user.js

also, it will probably be beneficial to selectivly read the associated ghacks articles
    (the article COMMENTS are often insightful)
    https://www.ghacks.net/?s=userjs
    note: across browser versions, details change ~~ some specific details within older articles may be outdated.

catfoodcatfood

Thank everyone with facts and knowledge, aplogize i mostly spout opnions, but this is important to Tech, aspiring Tech, and civilian equally. Thank everyone so much for contributions!

Howdy Jessie.

Hi skidoo, thanks for further info and comments.
    Regarding lang preference in LibreWolf I too think “us english locked pref” is to reduce tracking
    vectors.
    I had found out how to unlock in policies script for passing on to anyone who insists on another language.
    Easy job.

Using enterprise policy to set and change prefs as done in Librewolf is very useful and powerful.

I used enterprise policy generator addon to create some policy files for understanding how to create
    test, modify. As well as learn where to find or put a policy. Addon gives instructions.
    Users pls note, not all policies work in normal FF latest, even less in nightly where you can not switch off
    data reporting..

Agree no widevine auto download is a feature, I watch films from hired DVD without
    any network connection. :-). Only tracking is a list at the hire shop.

As I also mentioned, users please read up on user.js, mozilla keeps making changes to preference.
    some names change with new releases, useful preferences may hidden from user until entered to activate.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by ModdIt.

Yet another chrome based Browser SR Ware Iron, available in 32 and 64 bit

http://www.srware.net/downloads/iron.deb #32 bit version
    http://www.srware.net/downloads/iron64.deb

For those who want to use netflix widevine plugin should/will install.
    To kill it you can remove contents of /home/demo/.config/chromium/WidevineCdm.
    go to chrome://components/ then search Widevine to check installation of compoment or look for updates.

Added /home/demo/.config/chromium/privacy.ini file and set to 1 made read only. “replace demo with username”
    Can be set with Iron config tool checkbox enhanced privacy but can change/be changed by extensions.

To use the equivalent to FF about:config enter: chrome://flags/#omnibox
    First change I made was chrome://flags/#omnibox-context-menu-show-full-urls

Speed Stability and functionality are, up to now excellent. u block is an included addon.
    Privacy is seeming pretty good as long as enhanced privacy is set.. Without that iron permanently connects to google.
    If you connect to google store you will definitely be fingerprinted.
    Widevine is of course a very intrusive fingerprinter. Included due user demand/forum requests.
    Everybody wants netflix, nope not me.

Allow access to chrome.google.com and or chrome.com if you wish to get extensions from chrome store.

You can install unpacked extensions, go to chrome://extensions/ Enable developer options, drag and
    drop your extension in to the window. You may need to activate the extension with the slider switch in
    its description box.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by ModdIt.

Dropped SR Ware Iron from my recommendations, it kept diverting my Metager search to Bing.
    Complete removal, including all of the config) and reinstall not a cure.
    Others complained in the forum about that behaviour.

Replaced with ungoogled chromium, no more bad behaviour observed. Up to date fast, stable
    and no connection to googli needing an extra setting to block as was the case with iron..

Unfortunately not a 32 bit version available, Probably possible to compile for that usage but
    more than my computer can comfortably manage for sure. Out of comfort zone too :-).

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

The number of 32-bit Web browsers and applications that are actively maintained continues to dwindle in number. For those who really need 32-bit software, give thanks to antiX and the developers who still appreciate that some people, (most likely those who either love the classics or even more likely those who are unable to access or afford anything else), so with gratitude we thank those who do recognize the need.

In the USA most areas are able to get the fastest networks and the best equipment but there are exceptions, and these have really surfaced in the open during the pandemic.

Again, thank you for those who developed, tested, promoted and used free software, especially free 32-bit software! It DOES MATTER.

Brian Masinick

andyproughandyprough

Dropped SR Ware Iron from my recommendations, it kept diverting my Metager search to Bing.
    Complete removal, including all of the config) and reinstall not a cure.
    Others complained in the forum about that behaviour.

Replaced with ungoogled chromium, no more bad behaviour observed. Up to date fast, stable
    and no connection to googli needing an extra setting to block as was the case with iron..

Unfortunately not a 32 bit version available, Probably possible to compile for that usage but
    more than my computer can comfortably manage for sure. Out of comfort zone too :-).

One more browser that doesn’t communicate with google and that should install on antiX 32-bit is ‘abrowser’ by the Trisquel distro. The .deb installs and runs perfectly on antiX 19.3 64-bit for me. It’s the default browser on my most recent antiX Libre respin. You can find it from the Trisquel package mirror if you like: https://archive.trisquel.info/trisquel/pool/main/f/firefox/

Currently the latest version of abrowser is 84.0.2, so the link for 64-bit would be https://archive.trisquel.info/trisquel/pool/main/f/firefox/abrowser_84.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.18.04.1+9.0trisquel77_amd64.deb, and the link for 32-bit would be https://archive.trisquel.info/trisquel/pool/main/f/firefox/abrowser_84.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.18.04.1+9.0trisquel77_i386.deb.

abrowser is similar to ungoogled chromium in the way that it strips some anti-privacy stuff out of Firefox. abrowser takes all the firefox extensions from the mozilla add-ons website, at least the ones I’ve tried.

abrowser will not install the widevine DRM, so Netflix is not possible.

andyproughandyprough
    frtorresfrtorres

A recommended and useful add-on for Firefo

x

An important recommendation: OneTab Addon for Firefox.

Just installed AntiX 19.3 Full 64bit and used the software installer and installed both Brave Browser and Chromium. Both appeared to install correctly but neither will run. I click on their icons to launch either one, the hard drive will load and then stop and neither browser will load up. Am I missing a package or am I doing something wrong? Can’t figure out why neither Brave nor Chromium will launch and run?

I installed on an older PC: AMD Athlon 64 3200+, ATI Radeon Xpress 200, 100GB Hard drive.

browser-for-amd-athlon-without-sse2-instruction-set

What is SSE2?

SSE2 (Streaming SIMD Extensions 2, Streaming SIMD Extension Processor) – This is SIMD (SINGLE INSTRUCTION, MULTIPLE DATA, one manual – a variety of data) The instruction set developed by Intel and first presented in the Pentium 4 Series processors expands the SSE instruction set in order to completely Out MMX. The SSE2 set added 144 new commands to SSE, in which there were only 70 teams.

The SSE2 instructions were laid in the architecture of the following processors:

Intel – Starting with 423 and 478 sockets (while the processor under socket 478 support SSE2: Celeron and Celeron D – ranging from FSB 533MHz tires, Pentium IV – regardless of FSB bus), for laptops – from socket 479.
    AMD. – Starting with a socket 754 for PC, and for laptops – from S1 socket.

List of program versions that do NOT require support SSE2

Skype - up to 6.21
        Chrome - until 35.0.1870.2
        Chromium - up to 35.0.1866.0
        Internet Explorer - up to 8.0.6
        Mozilla Firefox - up to 48.0.2
        Opera - until 20.0.1387.91
        Safari - up to 5.1.7

browser-for-amd-athlon-without-sse2-instruction-set

What is SSE2?

SSE2 (Streaming SIMD Extensions 2, Streaming SIMD Extension Processor) – This is SIMD (SINGLE INSTRUCTION, MULTIPLE DATA, one manual – a variety of data) The instruction set developed by Intel and first presented in the Pentium 4 Series processors expands the SSE instruction set in order to completely Out MMX. The SSE2 set added 144 new commands to SSE, in which there were only 70 teams.

The SSE2 instructions were laid in the architecture of the following processors:

Intel – Starting with 423 and 478 sockets (while the processor under socket 478 support SSE2: Celeron and Celeron D – ranging from FSB 533MHz tires, Pentium IV – regardless of FSB bus), for laptops – from socket 479.
    AMD. – Starting with a socket 754 for PC, and for laptops – from S1 socket.

List of program versions that do NOT require support SSE2

Skype - up to 6.21
        Chrome - until 35.0.1870.2
        Chromium - up to 35.0.1866.0
        Internet Explorer - up to 8.0.6
        Mozilla Firefox - up to 48.0.2
        Opera - until 20.0.1387.91
        Safari - up to 5.1.7

As stated above, my CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 3200+, which supports SSE2.

XecureXecure

Run chromium/Brave from terminal and see if it reports any errors and tells you what may be missing. We cannot guess otherwise.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.