Extra Thread for Browser questions. ?.

Forum Forums Administration Site Help Extra Thread for Browser questions. ?.

Tagged: 

• This topic has 110 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated Sep 23-11:17 pm by ventus.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

It seems to be related to keepassxc-proxy
    See if anything here helps:
    https://github.com/keepassxreboot/keepassxc-browser/wiki/Troubleshooting-guide#3-check-if-keepassxc-proxy-is-launched-and-running

You may need to start it manually (adding keepassxc-proxy & command to startup), but based on a brief internet research, every time firefox launches it should launch it by default.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Budgie
    Helpful
    Up

Hi and many thanks. I haven’t dug further yet because the second annoyance has gone, Keepassxc is working as needed. Strange but the original annoyance has returned in spite of the fact that the correct version number is showing and I get a Redetect login fields prompt. Will dig more and report but fast reaching my knowledge limit!

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Just a heads up on Tor Browser,
    many succesful attacks during last couple of days, yesterday respawning several headless instances
    and restarting headless if killed from console.

Telltales, high CPU and network usage shown in conky, cooling fan noise.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Ungoogled Chromium and Librewolf browsers still among my favorites, many of the LibreWolf configuration settings
    can be transferred to an LTS firefox if wished for. Network is very quiet with both, nothing like the fox pinging home
    on every possible occasion.

Unlike Firefox. Both do not have hidden extensions (Firefox six at last check)
    and importantly neither have had any remote configuration changes performed since I began to use them.

Unless the hidden extensions in Fox browser features folder are removed you are not alone in controlling your browser settings…

Librewolf runs pretty much like Firefox would if Mozilla closed the dirty tricks department and just made a decent browser.

Last straw for me on normal FF has been getting advertising on the startup screen. I was using a straight download from
    Mozilla site, US English version. Mozilla is calling it recommendations again, it uses much of the limited bandwidth I pay
    for so no way I can consider that acceptable.

Seems the CEO wants more than the 2,5 Million USD she was shown to have pocketed a couple of years ago. About the same amount
    google paid to Mozilla for getting all search terms shared to them.

LikkMii
    Helpful
    Up

I’ve been Brave for a bit. It’s decent.Better than all the alternatives I’ve seen..
    We need an anticaP browser !
    I have a Pale Moon as an alternative. The browser ! I have a pale moon too, butt….

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by LikkMii.
    GandalfTheWhite
    Helpful
    Up

I install Brave from the has that comes that with the distro, walk fast for what my machine has that with 2 gb and an intel surprised me a little, what do you think of that browser? PS: No longer 32-bit Palemoon?!?!?! hell!!

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Regarding Brave, Tested for a very short period,
    I disliked the tracking to serve targeted advertising, was also delivered with cryptocurrency ads. Lack of transparency
    regarding privacy (maybe fixwd by now) Will not install it again.

Brave does not feel faster than Ungoogled Chromium which is the browser i am using now. I block ads using the hosts list,
    a one click solution is provided by antiX to set that up, highly appreciated. I also have no script running on all browsers,
    for some sites I am forced to give temporary permissions, annoys me as doing that is allowing fingerprinting.. One reason I
    have several browsers, I also use TOR to access some German News sites which would block me due my hosts listing blocking some
    of the tracking and real time ads tzhey want to plague me with.

Palemoon is a browser i also frequently use, LibreWolf when I need FF compatibility to satisfy some websites.
    I think of Librewolf as Firefox done right regarding privacy, it is fast and more responsive compared to latest FF, less crap,
    tracking pinging going on in the background reason for that. NO hidden extensions, no remote access enabled. Like it.

Regarding advertizing and tracking Mozilla gets big dollars from Google and Apple for sharing data, Majority of that money flows
    to the pocket (more like suitcases) of the dev sacking CEO. Read the Mozilla Foundation Balance sheets to see the money flows to
    her, at least those she is unable to have hidden from the public.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by ModdIt.
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I appreciate everyone’s viewpoint here, and one of the important reasons to have freely available software and choice is that different people have different requirements. I’m not super concerned about cookies, tracking, etc. so I do not have as many concerns about those things as some people.

For me, I just look for what works and performs reasonably well on the system I am using. On newer systems, performance is a lesser concern. On systems 10-15 years old it is a critical concern. On systems 5-6 years old it is a moderate concern.

I bought two Acer systems in the past year. The first one, a Chromebook, uses a lot of Google services by default, so for those who have concerns about what Google “collects” that wouldn’t be a good choice. For my needs, it is much faster than the Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop that I’ve regularly used for the past six years. On the Dell, the browser choice matters a bit when performance is important, but it’s not a crucial issue. On the newer device, only those concerned about tracking and privacy have anything to be concerned about.

Recently I bought another Acer, an Aspire 5 A515-55. It uses an NVME SSD, so it’s fast. I’m still getting used to the device peculiarities and the manner in which Acer device management works. Performance, at least for my simple requirements, is not an issue at all, so I don’t worry about the choice of browser on this system.

Still, I respect those who have concerns about these matters and that’s why we all need the freedom of choice to use well-protected, privacy oriented systems or wide open choices, and also the freedom to choose between proprietary (familiar to some) versus software freedom (either BSD, GNU, or other forms of “freedom”).

Brian Masinick

Eduardo Lucas
    Helpful
    Up

Well, i have my own experience to share about browsers in AntiX. My hardware is not nearly as legacy as some here. I actually use a zen 1 improved ryzen in a laptop, to be more precise, ryzen 3500u, but in a 5w power envelope, which brings it (according to geekbench) to only 10 or 20 points above in multi core score (the ryzen chip cpu, using 2.5w in power, as the other 2.5 are reserved to the gpu and the rest of the system on chip, turns all cores all time on when in such low energy, so the multi-core score is reliable in this analysis) to a late intel pentium D. GPU and RAM are also limited and therefore clock very low, in the 200 to 400mhz range. That being said, i think Pale Moon has been the best browser until now. It’s not as fast as brave, but i see it using drastically less cpu, and rarely turning on the laptop fan. Brave instead is so fast for such a machine but gets the task manager cpu percentage to jump and the taskbar cpu monitor graphical black square to go green.

To make it short: I will not switch to brave as it uses more power than necessary and gets things hot, forcing the fan to go on. It likely draws more power as well in all machines. I understand the performance benefits, but it’s not my idea to prioritize browser-web browsing-web applications performance, but to equally share it to all programs and daemons, as i have several programs opened and working at once in my machine, and AntiX itself provides low RAM and cpu/gpu usage. But i understand those who want better performance in web of their much more restricted (Pentium 4, Pentium III and below) machines.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Eduardo Lucas.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by Eduardo Lucas.
    seriousness
    Helpful
    Up

Pale Moon is still v29.3.0 in antiX19 repo. Why does it take so long until the current Version is available?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Because I have a life outside of antiX.
    You can always build it yourself.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Edit /usr/share/packageinstaller-pkglist/palemoon.pm file as root and replace its contents with the ones in the attached file (palemoon2.zip, sorry for the error on the other one).

Then run packageinstaller and install palemoon.

MX Linux has at least 2-4 packagers, and 3-4 developers. antiX only has 1 guy making everything work.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 11 hours ago by Xecure. Reason: bug in original Attachment

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Palemoon is 64bit only now I noticed.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

ventus
    Helpful
    Up

To the problems with Opera and also Vivaldi:

It looks like they will find the way to play all videos again. In Vivaldi it is already done, Opera will follow. Up to then it is possible to run Opera as snap, this is working fine on Debian. I have not yet tested it on antiX and don’t know, if snap is here possible.

But I am happy, that I can go on working with Opera, as it gives me the best result with low RAM! Of course it needs the correct settings for the swapfile and the perfect settings in Opera.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

snaps do not work on antiX since they need systemd

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.