Extra Thread for Browser questions. ?.

Forum Forums Administration Site Help Extra Thread for Browser questions. ?.

Tagged: 

• This topic has 112 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated Sep 27-5:07 pm by ModdIt.
Viewing 8 posts - 106 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

snaps do not work on antiX since they need systemd

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

seriousness
    Helpful
    Up

Then run packageinstaller and install palemoon.

Hi Xecure, is this a lasting solution (for all users) or just a workaround in order to get the latest version?

ventus
    Helpful
    Up

Hi

I just tried this Palemoone. No, it just fills the RAM and it seems as if Palemoon doesn’t have a browser cache or the algorithms are totally bad. When I want to play a video, the RAM load goes up to almost 100% and the swap is also filled, WITHOUT the video starting. No chance with 1GB RAM!

If antiX is interested in offering users with low RAM computers a good and modern browser, then there is no way around Opera! I don’t know what these people are doing, but the result is impressive! No other browser handles the memory and cache so efficiently! With a swappiness of 40, I can open up to 8 tabs without long waiting times (5-10 seconds). Show me the browser that can do that with 1GB RAM and a swapfile of 1GB!

If you want to test it, I’ll try to send my Opera settings here as an attachment. Otherwise you have to test yourself.

https://ufile.io/nf6b99x6

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

I’m glad to hear Opera works well for you.

I don’t know what these people are doing, but the result is impressive!

No-one will know since it is closed source and that is why antiX will not ship with it out-of-the-box.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

LikkMii
    Helpful
    Up

That’s why we’re here man.I’ll take a lil Mailspring over Mozilla but on some it needs a snap. Haven’t tried it on antiX at all.

ventus
    Helpful
    Up

It would be too easy if the excellent would pass the code on to everyone. Then where would the motivation for others be to do better? But you could take a closer look at the Opera team and their training. In most countries universities are free and anyone can study mathematics or algorithms and data structures. Even the father of Linux went the way of the university, or Linux would never have become a successful OS, which far overshadows other OS created by those who have not studied.

Well, but antiX itself has to know how it will end.

seriousness
    Helpful
    Up

Thanx Xecure, Pale Moon is v29.4.1 now.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Hi ventus, may I suggest that in most cases with low powered machines download and play video, if legal. is less ram hungry
    than a browser.
    Watch using you tube video player (smtube), acts as a a frontend to mpv you can also drop an url in to MPV.
    less system load than in a browser. VLC can also be fed with an url to a stream or video.
    streamlight-antix is yet another useful tool.

As a browser palemoon is fine, I do not use it to watch video, just to find the content i am wanting to watch..

Viewing 8 posts - 106 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.