F6 boot menu desktop choices at login.

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions F6 boot menu desktop choices at login.

• This topic has 18 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Nov 15-8:05 pm by utu.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I have added xfce to my antiX 17 full iso LiveUSB,
    added desktop=xfce to the default boot list; used root + home persistence
    on shutdown.

All works well this way, except xfce does not show up on the F6 boot list
    of desktop choices, and selecting icewm, for example, brings me back to
    the default xfce choice. I can no longer select from the lighter-weight
    window managers.

My intention was to experiment with two specific xfce applets to see if
    they might work with some lesser window managers or if one must import
    all of the xfce infrastructure to use just these two applets. Maybe
    it’s not necessary to bring in all of xfce’s dependencies, maybe just
    xfwm4 and some gtk progams might suffice?

The two xfce applets are whiskermenu and cpu graph. I don’t know how many Mbs
    that the full infrastructure of xfce and its dependencies amounts-to.
    These two applets are nice upgrades to two similar, less elegant applets
    that work without xfce.

I’d like to hear any constructive thoughts you might have on this.

64-bit MX-18.2 using 4.20.12 Kernel LiveUSB on Dell Laptop

Forum Admin
    DaveDave

Not certain on the desktop= boot code. Did you remove it before trying the menu codes? You should also be able to select another at the login screen or by using the other desktops window from the menu.(unless you removed the window manager or desktop-session or changed the login manager from slim)

As to using whisker menu and cpu graph, you could try installing those to apps and xfce4-panel and you should be able to run xfce4-panel in another windows manager. You would need to add xfce4-panel to a startup file such as ~/.icewm/startup or ~/.desktop-session/startup. Take care adding it to desktop-session startup as it would start for every window manager / de then.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Dave.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Thanks for your response, Dave.
    I am just learning about slim, and will need some time to come up to speed on that.

Perhaps I should start all over.
    a. How should I add a new window manager, specifically not icewm, because I have some problems with it?
    b. Assume the wm for xfce4, initially, what dependencies would be needed to support that wm?
    c. If whiskermenu and cpu-graph are plug-ins, what additional dependencies would they require?
    d. What else would be required to interface these two applets with antiX17?

masinickmasinick

Hi utu, When I add another window manager or desktop environment, I do NOT perform any steps in altering the login manager whatsoever. When I add Xfce, for instance, (and I have many times before), the login manager, whether Slim, LightDM, KDM, GDM, or whatever, SHOULD have another entry added at the time the new graphical interface is added by the package manager.

When you login to the environment the next time after adding a window manager or a desktop environment, you should see an additional entry in the menu.

The only thing I can think of here, other than editing the entries, that may have caused a problem is persistence. Let’s say you changed something, for instance, adding a Mate desktop, and you’re booting into a system that you save on USB. IF for some reason your new changes have not been saved to your persistent state, then the next time you run it, you’ll see whatever was in the most recently saved persistent state.

BUT if you hand edited anything, I’m not sure it’s correct any more. In that case, maybe the best thing to do would be to get rid of any configuration files (may be in a hidden file or hidden directory associated with your login ID). Logout, in fact, reboot the system.

Next time you come in, the system ought to recognize what’s there, see that you do not have any configuration, and if it works the way I understand it to work, those files would then be created in your login account.

If anybody knows of any specific detail that is incorrect here, please respond and set us straight.
    I’ll look at the files when I can actually have an antiX 17 instance right in front of me; meanwhile, that’s what I *perceive* is going on.

Brian Masinick

Thank you for your response, Brian.

I had hoped that antiX17 would behave just as you described, but alas, not for me.

IIRC the sequence of my operations was first to bring in xfce4 and two plug-ins
    then logged out with root & home persistence. Logged back in hoping for a new F6
    choice but there wasn’t any. Using default, I found my plugins and a new xfce4 panel.
    Later found other wm choices as listed in /etc/slim.cfg don’t work.

Discovered that /etc/slim.cfg had added an entry xfce4 to the F6 list of choices.
    I had tried desktop=xfce4 as an add-in entry somewhere along the line. A more
    educated choice would have been xfwm4, but I wasn’t clear on the distinction of
    desktops and window managers then. F6 choices appear under the heading ‘Desktop’.

I wonder if I can back up and start over somehow short of a complete new LiveUSB.

If whiskermenu and cpu-graph are plug-ins, what additional dependencies would they require?

FYI: you can check dependencies (and “installed package size”) here:
    https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=xfce4&searchon=names&suite=stable&section=all
    (or, can find out by performing a test install in a no-persist livesession)

The two xfce applets are whiskermenu and cpu graph.

WhiskerMenu will only talk to the xfce4 panel. It cannot be “integrated” into anything else.

“cpu graph” (xfce4-cpugraph-plugin) will only talk to the xfce4 panel. It cannot be “integrated” into anything else.

xfce4-taskmanager: one of its tabs displays a cpu graph.
    (mate-system-monitor has a cpu graph tab also, and is comparatively more featureful)

less elegant applets that work without xfce.

conky can be dressed up to be damned elegant

from a quick websearch “themes conky manager”:
    h t t p://www.teejeetech.in/p/conky-manager.html
    h t t p s://custom-linux.deviantart.com/gallery/39357745/Conky-Themes
    h t t p s://sourceforge.net/projects/cmdp/
    h t t p s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyTJ_KD3Ans

Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

Do you mean the F6 menu in the legacy bootloader?

You can change that menu with the following commands as root:

/live/bin/unpack-gfx-cpio
    vim gfx-cpio-dir/desktop.men
    /live/bin/unpack-gfx-cpio -r

Follow the format of the existing entries: “LABEL back-tic cheat” It is fussy about the format and extra newlines or other formatting errors can cause the bootloader to crash.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by BitJam.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

@ BitJam
    /usr/local/share/boot-menus has two text files that certainly
    look familiar. Wouldn’t it be safer to modify these than to
    get into some cpio machinations?

@ skidoo
    I have Conky Toggle on my WhiskerMenu. I agree it’s elegant.
    But, I’ve never been clever enough to modify anything in it.

@ Brian
    Your suggestions are within my meager competence. Could you
    please verify your recollections and give me a roadmap how
    you are able to bring xfce4 into antiX and have antiX do
    all the behind the scenes stuff automatically.

And thanks to all for your patience.

Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

@utu, I don’t know/remember what /usr/local/share/boot-menus are for. Ah I remember now. That’s a text menus for when you boot via UEFI. You should be able to access it via the “menus=d” cheat even booting legacy. We put that menu in the squashfs instead of the initrd because the entries are different (or were different) in full and in base.

If you want to affect the “F6 Desktop” menu in the legacy bootloader that I highlighted in the attached screenshot then you need to use the unpack-gfx-cpio program or run cpio directly. I think the unpack-gfx-cpio command makes modifications like what you requested extremely easy. Even if the bootloader crashes, you should still be able to boot using either “live” or “custom” to select the original default entry or to select an entry that was added via “F8 Save”.

AFAIK, we are the only distro that lets you edit those menus via simple text files. Take a look at the files in the src/ directory in the antiX-Gfxboot repo: https://github.com/BitJam/antiX-Gfxboot For any other distro you would have to edit a data structure in one of those source files and then recompile the bootloader and you would need to run cpio manually in order to change a menu. We made it so easy! We even supply a script to unpack and repack the cpio archive for you!

Forum Admin
    DaveDave

Thanks for your response, Dave.
    I am just learning about slim, and will need some time to come up to speed on that.

Perhaps I should start all over.
    a. How should I add a new window manager, specifically not icewm, because I have some problems with it?
    b. Assume the wm for xfce4, initially, what dependencies would be needed to support that wm?
    c. If whiskermenu and cpu-graph are plug-ins, what additional dependencies would they require?
    d. What else would be required to interface these two applets with antiX17?

a) see below for xfce (but there are more pre-installed than icewm and more via apt like openbox (apt-get -f install openbox)).
    b) The package installer has this figured out for you
    c) AFAIK None based on using package installer for “B”
    d) As using a default window manager and having those apps? install xfce4-panel, whisker menu, and cpu applet (apt-get -f install xfce4-panel xfce4-cpugraph-plugin xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin). run xfce4-panel using menu-run (or startup) in one of the default window managers and configure for whisker menu and cpu applet as you would in xfce.

Last I remember / tried you could boot full live usb as default with persistence, open control center, click system, click package installer, click desktop environment, check xfce4-lite (unless you now want everything xfce?), press install. That should install a minimum xfce install… to which you can add your whisker menu and plugins. It *should* appear under the other desktops menu in the one of the default window managers without logging out or rebooting. In which case you can select xfce under the deskop menu in one of the default window managers and it would switch to xfce. Doing a persist save after this would save the xfce install and your selection of using xfce de instead of one of the default window managers. Alternatively after installing xfce you could log out, press f1 till xfce is displayed and log in followed by a persist save. Booting the usb afterwards with persistence would boot to xfce. You should be able to switch back to a default window manager by using the bootloader f6 function, booting to xfce and selecting the “other desktops” app, or booting to xfce then logging out and press f1 to select another default window manager to log into. You will need to remember that the last choice of desktop (last one you used) would be the first one used next boot.

Note:
    For adding xfce as a f6 bootloader option you would need to follow bitjam’s directions.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

@Brian
    xfce4-lite sounds like something I might use next time around, when
    I start over rebuilding a new LiveUSB. Right now, I have the complete xfce4
    installed and functioning to provide an xfce4 panel and my two pet xfce4 plugins.
    My current problem is that I have corrupted the antiX login process for installing
    additional desktops and/or window managers. Most notably, I have screwed up
    what appears for the F6 ‘Desktop’ selections.

With my current repo list, I have no xfce4-lite.

demo@antix1:~
    $ inxi -r
    Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
               deb http://repo.antixlinux.com/stretch stretch main nosystemd
               Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list
               deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
               Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
               deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
               deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
    demo@antix1:~

@BitJam
    My Win7 is legacy boot; no uefi alternative.
    I greatly fear trying to successfully tangle with cpio operations and vim.

If your suggestion amounts to calling-up shell scripts and allows me at least
    a nano editor, I can handle that.

If I can straighten out the F6 menu, should I expect that will repair antiX’s
    ability to properly select all previous wms plus xfce4?
    Will this cause a /home/demo/.xfwm4 directory and its contents to magically appear?
    Default F6 now connects me with xfce4; will this continue or should I expect the
    default may change as a result of modifying the F6 menu?

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by utu.

Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

If your suggestion amounts to calling-up shell scripts and allows me at least
    a nano editor, I can handle that.

You can certainly use nano instead of vim. Here are the modified instructions:

sudo su -
    /live/bin/unpack-gfx-cpio
    nano gfx-cpio-dir/desktop.men
    /live/bin/unpack-gfx-cpio -r

If I can straighten out the F6 menu, should I expect that will repair antiX’s
    ability to properly select all previous wms plus xfce4?

Repair? I wouldn’t say “repair”. It will allow you to add this enhancement to the F6 menu (and other menus). It won’t change anything else. If there are other problems, it won’t fix them.

Will this cause a /home/demo/.xfwm4 directory and its contents to magically appear?

No. You might be able to get that by running the following command after installing xfce but this is not my area of expertise:

cp -a /etc/skel/.xfwm4 ~

Default F6 now connects me with xfce4; will this continue or should I expect the
    default may change as a result of modifying the F6 menu?

The default should always be the last one you selected. It doesn’t matter if you select it via F6 or via the SLiM login screen or via one of the “other desktop” menus.

@BitJam
    I used your suggestion to jigger F6 Desktop choices with mixed success.

1. used back-tick first time ever.
    2. created an xfwm4 entry on the F6 menu, using cpio & nano.
    3. selecting xfwm4 seems to select xfwm4.
    4. xfwm4 is still the default.
    5. rebooting and selecting icewm still gives xfwm4.
    6. other window managers have a hidden file in /home/demo;
    there is no ~.xfwm4; also no /etc/skel/.xfwm4.

Although I’ve achieved some cosmetic improvement, I have not repaired
    the functional damage I’ve done to the F6 desktop choices mechanism.

I still have no idea how I should have tried to bring in Xfce4 and
    not corrupt the antiX boot menu apparatus. Is there documentaion
    somewhere I should have consulted beforehand?

@Brian or anyone else.
    I’m still hoping to find xfce4-lite for future use;
    I want to rebuild my antiX17 from base iso instead of full.

Forum Admin
    DaveDave

Did you remove the desktop=xfce that you manually added? Did you try the other desktops app or logging out and pressing f1 to select another desktop?

Xfce config are under ~/.config/ unlike the other window managers

Hello, Dave.

I see the xfce4 material in .config; That’s working ok.
    But it’s not functioning the same as for the other wm’s
    in regard to F6 desktop selection.

What’s not working is selecting icewm, for example,
    and presuming any of the other wms on the F6 desktop menu.
    The other wms use a hidden file like .icewm in ~.

When I use Desktop=something, I don’t save that as
    a start=up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.