failsafe install

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Nov 13-12:42 pm by zpimp.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    zpimp

planning to install on lenovo laptop i3-5010u/4gb/120gb ssd
    wih integrated intel graphics
    currently running antix15, kernel 4.2.1

antix17-386-full boots to black screen and freezes

but it boots fine with failsafe option

will it install fine?
    any sugestions what do i need to do to install it?

still have to backup stuff, but i want to know before what im up against

System:    Host: lenovo Kernel: 4.2.1-antix.3-686-pae i686 (32 bit) Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8
               Distro: antiX-15.1_386-full Killah P 18 February 2016
    Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 80EW v: Lenovo B50-80
               Mobo: LENOVO model: Lenovo B50-80 v: No DPK Bios: LENOVO v: A8CN47WW(V3.00) date: 07/14/2015
    CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-5010U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB 
               clock speeds: max: 2100 MHz 1: 2100 MHz 2: 2100 MHz 3: 2100 MHz 4: 2100 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics
               Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.02hz
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2) x86/MMX/SSE2
               GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
    Audio:     Card-1 Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
               Card-2 Intel Broadwell-U Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.2.1-antix.3-686-pae
    Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: f0:76:1c:69:8c:a7
               Card-2: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 34:de:1a:de:76:05
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (65.9% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: INTEL_SSDSC2BW12 size: 120.0GB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 29G used: 15G (54%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 45.0C mobo: 45.0C
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    Info:      Processes: 138 Uptime: 1:08 Memory: 475.5/3964.2MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.31
    Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

Sure it will install fine in failsafe boot. I’ve done it before on previous versions because of iffy graphics chips like my savage chip.

Backup just like normal during a live session. Reboot back using safe graphics. Run the installer.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Before you install, run the live iso again using the default boot choice and add this cheat at the menu.

i915.enable_execlists=0

I got this info from the arch wiki. It *might* help

arch wiki

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Good info anti! I’m gonna try that on my system at home and see if I can use either that code or something similar – and I’ll check the arch wiki to see what this is all about. I WAS having issues where I was having to boot into failsafe mode. Can’t remember if I fixed ’em or not, but if not, I’ll see what these codes (and any others) are about and give it a try. Thanks!

In my case, my system is a Dell Inspiron 5558. Prior releases of antiX never had any issues at all. But I was messing around with the boot loader and I think it messed ME up! 😉 Last time I was on, all seemed to be well, but if I’m still encountering GUI (run level 5) issues, I’ll see if a specific boot code helps my situation too.

Brian Masinick

zpimp
    Helpful
    Up

adding i915.enable_execlists=0 does nothing

is there a way to watch a console instead of seeing the desktop? to help me identify the problem, in this case(computer freezes)

Forum Admin
    BitJam
    Helpful
    Up

is there a way to watch a console instead of seeing the desktop? to help me identify the problem, in this case(computer freezes)

Use the boot parameter “3” (no quotes). That will boot to runlevel 3 which doesn’t start X.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

zpimp
    Helpful
    Up

it boots to text mode login, but i cant see whats wrong since it doesent load the video driver

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.