Fan not working on Dell E6420 XFR

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Fan not working on Dell E6420 XFR

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Mar 30-7:03 am by Xunzi_23.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DragonGirlsAndTrucks

[antiX-22]

My fan does not appear to be working correctly. Occasionally it will kick in if the CPU hits close to 90C, but only for a split second, which is not what should be happening. I do not really let it even get to 80C, I just tested it a few times to see when it would kick in.

I’ve ran the BIOS diags thoroughly, multiple times and updated to the latest version of the BIOS [A24] and even restored default settings. Nothing seems wrong there.

I’m unsure where to go next, as I’m new to this. I tried doing some research but haven’t had much luck figuring this out so far.

Any help would be appreciated. Please let me know what you may need.

TIA.

Edit: For additional context, here are the outputs from watch sensors

acpitz-acpi-0
      Adapter: ACPI interface
      temp1:        +25.0°C  (crit = +107.0°C)
      dell_smm-virtual-0
      Adapter: Virtual device
      Processor Fan:    0 RPM
      CPU:            +50.0°C

ACPI is a static 25C – this never changes.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by DragonGirlsAndTrucks.
      Xunzi_23

Hi and welcome to the forum.
        Dell E6420 XFR, a highly ruggedised device.
        many reviews state it is very hot running. device with uncomfortably high vent and case temperatures.

The only way I see to find some trustworthy clarity as to cooling system functionality is to test using windoze 10 and the specific dell
        diagnostic tools and checking system logs..
        https://dl.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_latitude_laptop/latitude-e6420-xfr_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Xunzi_23.
        Forum Admin
        rokytnji

Wife gave me a laptop cooling pad when my Panasonic Cf-48 ran hot with antiX 32 bit. I had to repaste the cpu with cooling paste to bring it down to 80F.
          But I don’t expect you to do that.

One like so.

I was careful to pick cheapest and ships worldwide.
          I still use it and have it for years. Just pointing out a easy option.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
          I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
          Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
          How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

DragonGirlsAndTrucks

I’ve already repasted with Arctic MX-6 with copper spacers, pasting on both sides. I also have a cooling pad. Yes, it technically helps circumvent, at idle with just a few Firefox tabs open it’s 40C-50C, but doing much else it bumps up the heat beyond what it should. I’ve updated to the latest version of the BIOS as well. I’ve ran sensors-detect, which only found coretemp. Updated everything in antiX, but not sure where else to go from here.

I appreciate the input.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by DragonGirlsAndTrucks.
            DragonGirlsAndTrucks

Thanks for the manual and the input.

anti-apXos

This sounds like a hardware issue to me. Testing on Windows if you can would be best, but failing that a live USB of another Linux distro might shed some light. Try something quite different from antiX like Mint or Manjaro or something.

Also, have you looked at the ArchWiki page on Fan Speed Control? It mentions a Dell-specific package that you might want to try out.

There’s also the fancontrol component of lm-sensors described on that page. It’s availabke, but not pre-installed with antiX even though lm-sensors itself is.

A more rough and ready method of testing fans without installing any additional packages is the /sys/class/thermal/cooling_device* interface.

cat /sys/class/thermal/cooling_device*/type

will give you a list of recognized devices and you can test them using a command like

sudo sh -c "echo $(cat /sys/class/thermal/cooling_device0/max_state) > /sys/class/thermal/cooling_device0/cur_state"

to see if manually enabling works at all.

DragonGirlsAndTrucks

Update: got it working.

Installed fancontrol, which wasn’t reading anything, and did some digging.

Found this post
                  https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/15u6ghz/system_fan_control/

Which led me to this
                  https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fan_speed_control

Which led me to this
                  https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fan_speed_control#Dell_laptops

And led to this
                  https://askubuntu.com/questions/1227489/i8kctl-not-working-for-dell-inspiron-fan-control

After installing i8kutils and disabling the Dell BIOS fan control I ran pwmconfig, which was able to read things and generate a config file. Fans are working fine now.

Thanks, everyone.

Edit: had to add this line to /etc/rc.local:

sudo ./home/[username]/gitclones/dell-bios-fan-control/dell-bios-fan-control 0

I made a specific directory for it, so if this is ever copied by anyone, make sure to take note of that.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by DragonGirlsAndTrucks.
                  • This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by DragonGirlsAndTrucks.
                  Forum Admin
                  rokytnji

Thank You. I wish more members did this. 😀

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                    Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Xunzi_23

Really useful feedback, Thank you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.