Favorite Linux Desktop?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Favorite Linux Desktop?

This topic contains 69 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Anonymous Dec 9-12:46 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author

BobC

Maybe I am stuck in the 90’s liking IceWM. Somebody convince me there is something better 🙂

I see there is a poll going at:

https://www.slant.co/topics/390/~best-window-managers-for-linux

Some of the top rated ones I have tried and maybe they look “nice”, but needed lots of machine (ie ram and cpu), and I’m not sure there is any value in that for me.

DWM and Herbstluftwm seem interesting, but not sure I could configure them.

masinick
    masinick

Desktop Environment preferred:
    Xfce.

Window Manager preferred when not using a desktop environment: Icewm.

Both are relatively easy to use and moderate in resource usage.

Brian Masinick

masinick
    masinick

Bobc: using IceWM is fine. Customization is easy, and unless you have a reason to use tightly connected resources, it is debatable what you gain.

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    dolphin_oracle

fluxbox when I’m running antiX. I don’t know why, but I’ve always found fluxbox my thing. Probably about like the OP likes icewm. 🙂

Xfce when I’m on MX.

mowest
    mowest

Fluxbox in AntiX otherwise I have enjoyed MATE on the Ubuntu MATE spin. I know that Fluxbox is not considered a DE but a WM however, because of the additional work done by the AntiX developers fluxbox feels like a DE in AntiX. DE’s provide “built-in” functionality like wireless connection management, file management, application launchers, graphical tools to tweak the system settings, and auto mounting of media. AntiX developers have done an amazing job of bringing together a variety of tools so that when you boot up AntiX you don’t feel like you just have a WM, but instead if feels like a full DE.

sleekmason
    sleekmason

Fluxbox for years now. I’ve tried different WM’s and always come back. antiX got it right with their choices. Ice would be #2 for me:)

BobC

Anyone got a nice looking and efficient working setup for DWM or Herbstluftwm? I don’t have any big complaints about IceWM except that I seem to spend a lot of time rearranging so I can copy/paste when trying to edit code…

What I would like would be if I started with a split vertical window, with tabs above or below, and was able to open a tab on either side, and zoom in/out of the one on either side either to like a 7/8 zoom or full screen.

PS: I do also like to be able to drag floating windows around, so I guess I’m looking for a hybrid of a split window with pop out zoom windows that can then be popped back in or monkeys with…

Any ideas?

• This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by BobC.
    ohh
    ohh

I used flux, then ice and back to flux. I like the minimalist look and feel of it.

cheers,
    ohh

Every matter requires prior knowledge.

- Du Mu
    The Art of War

bobbiecb

For most of us the best one is probably the one we’re most used to using.

I like xfce rather than a WM if possible. It’s much easier to add icons to desktop, taskbar, etc, and to personalize. But xfce has one bug they haven’t fixed for years which is kind of serious to many people. The system moves around your desktop icons to wherever it feels like at random times. I definitely don’t want my desktop messed with like that.

Of course, xfce consumes more hardware resources than WM’s like Icewm, etc. That’s where the antiX developers have done such a wonderful job, giving people the choice of 3 WM’s right off the bat.

I feel comfortable and like using Icewm and other WMs, but I’m not sure the clients I fix up PCs for would.

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Dave

Fluxbox… it stays out of the way and has loads of usefulness in options. Then configure keyboard shortcuts for the fluxbox window management for full screen, half screen, minimized and cycling / opening etc. Much quicker than the mouse!

Example.
    Control Alt T opens terminal
    Control Alt enter maximizes / reduces
    Control Shift left half screen left side
    Control Shift right half screen right side
    Control Shift down half screen bottom
    Control Shift up half screen top
    Control Shift enter minimize
    Alt tab cycle
    Alt f4 close
    Etc etc

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

BobC

Dave, I have to say the Half screen options sound like what I’m asking for. I do dread changing window managers, though. I have to use MS-Windoze crap all day, so I like something totally comfortable to use at night…

I looked in the IceWM manual and it looks like you can control the position or size things when they open but I don’t see a way to move them around with the keyboard once opened. I see the feature was requested in 2007 but never created. Actually, it would be neat if it was |< and >| control buttons on the window, similar to the rollup shade, but a half shade. Oh well, not something I’m capable of programming, that’s for sure.

I’ll try to figure it out… I guess I could try to create a Fluxbox setup similar to my IceWM setup with window re-arrangement keys added.

fatmac
    fatmac

I’ve used Fluxbox/Openbox most of my time on Linux & BSD, not a Desktop Environment, but a very usable Window Manager, & I use applications, so don’t have a need for all that fancy stuff people put on their desktops.

A simple right click menu & plain (usually black) background – the time & date in the toolbar is convenient, but not totally necessary. 🙂

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

I used to be a fluxbox user for many years, but now I use herbstluftm – a tiling window manager.
    I find using a tiler better suits my workflow than a stacker.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

BobC

I switched my main system to fluxbox. I really miss my minimize all and start buttons, and my Wifi, Mixer, Screenshot, Terminal, Browser and File Manager buttons too.

Quite a learning curve just to USE fluxbox. I need to read the manual for this one.

mroot
    mroot

Fluxbox. I like the look and feel. The ability to customize is great too. Also there are no regressions. KDE added tabbed windows and in the next version removed them which isn’t great if you incorporated them into your workflow. I think mowest’s comment is right on too.

I know that Fluxbox is not considered a DE but a WM however, because of the additional work done by the AntiX developers fluxbox feels like a DE in AntiX. DE’s provide “built-in” functionality like wireless connection management, file management, application launchers, graphical tools to tweak the system settings, and auto mounting of media. AntiX developers have done an amazing job of bringing together a variety of tools so that when you boot up AntiX you don’t feel like you just have a WM, but instead if feels like a full DE.

In most distros fluxbox isn’t available in a usable form. Yes the package is there but you need to do quite a bit of work to get it to a usable form. In AntiX it’s complete. You can modify it if you want to but you don’t need to.

-mroot

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.