Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins feedback: antix-dusk 23 alpha1 menus

Please provide feedback on the aXd menus.

See URL in first post to view menus; 1.1. MB mkv file at archive.org.

You must be logged in to participate.
  • Hate
  • Indifferent
  • This topic has 18 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Feb 7-5:57 am by techore.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    techore

Looking for feedback on menus I created for antix-dusk (aXd) 23.

Direct download (1.1 mb):
      https://archive.org/download/axd23alpha1menudemo2/axd23alpha1-20240206_210522.mkv

Landing page with a blurry preview:
      https://archive.org/details/axd23alpha1menudemo2

Thank you, all.

EDIT: updated URLs for new video which includes new context/rootmenu.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by techore.
      • This topic was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by techore.
      PPC

I’m too invested in floating window managers, particularly in IceWM and Fluxbox, to really switch to a very different window manager (maybe except for Enlightment) but, from what I saw in the video preview (not that blurry at all) it looks very nice- your window manager does use what I assume are several rofi configurations to display a simple but clear start menu, an exit session window and an app launcher window – basic features for any modern User Interface for an OS, very well implemented.
        My own personal suggestion would be allowing, if possible, for application icons in the menus…

Just curious, does DWM use less system resources that antiX’s default floating window managers, or than Herbs?

P.

watsoccurring

Liked the format of title and function in brackets, easy to read for ameoba’s like me.

techore

You may note that there is no context menu like antiX’s menu. My initial attempt to create a context menu was unsatisfactory. I am considering taking another run at it to replace the current “aXd” menu and and have it spawn on mouse right click at the desktop.

Thoughts?

PPC

Thoughts?

Well, by default, in antiX, a right click only displays the rootmenu. If possible I would keep that default behaviour in any antiX derivative. It’s probably the easiest thing to implement and also the usual expected behaviour. Alternatively, in antiX, the right click can be configured to display ZZZfm contextual menu, if in a ZZZ desktop. I’m not really sure if, in a tiling window manager that’s something anyone would want to implement…

P.

techore

Liked the format of title and function in brackets, easy to read for ameoba’s like me.

Thank you.

As I get older, I need more contrast for my fading vision.

With the antiX dwm 21/22 spin, I used a darker black than the nord color theme. For aXd 23, I am strictly adhering to the theme but already feeling regret. Going to stick with nord’s black for the initial release, but may change it in later releases.

techore

Just curious, does DWM use less system resources that antiX’s default floating window managers, or than Herbs?

The resources will increase as I move through the build process and add features.

As it stands right now:

$ sudo ps_mem.py
                   Private  +   Shared  =  RAM used	Program
                  116.0 KiB +  29.5 KiB = 145.5 KiB	runit
                  128.0 KiB +  40.5 KiB = 168.5 KiB	runsvdir
                  160.0 KiB +  62.5 KiB = 222.5 KiB	seatd
                  220.0 KiB +  62.5 KiB = 282.5 KiB	gpm
                  240.0 KiB +  60.5 KiB = 300.5 KiB	startx
                  300.0 KiB +  59.5 KiB = 359.5 KiB	acpid
                  216.0 KiB + 144.5 KiB = 360.5 KiB	slstatus
                  272.0 KiB + 245.5 KiB = 517.5 KiB	xinit
                  304.0 KiB + 293.0 KiB = 597.0 KiB	getty (2)
                  584.0 KiB + 288.5 KiB = 872.5 KiB	dbus-daemon
                  664.0 KiB + 234.5 KiB = 898.5 KiB	login
                    1.0 MiB + 435.5 KiB =   1.4 MiB	runsv (11)
                  824.0 KiB + 918.0 KiB =   1.7 MiB	sudo (2)
                    1.6 MiB + 587.5 KiB =   2.2 MiB	udevd
                    3.0 MiB +   1.4 MiB =   4.3 MiB	dusk
                    3.9 MiB + 469.5 KiB =   4.4 MiB	connmand
                    3.5 MiB +   1.6 MiB =   5.1 MiB	bash (2)
                   52.9 MiB +  29.9 MiB =  82.8 MiB	Xorg
                   74.1 MiB +  41.1 MiB = 115.2 MiB	kitty (2)
                  ---------------------------------
                                          221.7 MiB
                  =================================

dusk is the window manager. It is a fork of dwm. The status bar is slstatus.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by techore.
                  chndz

I hadn’t heard of dusk wm before your post. Looks like a patched dwm, maybe? In any event, I also prefer tiling window managers and this looks like a really nice implementation of it. I’m sure if system resources was really that much of a concern for you, st would use much fewer resources than kitty.

Great job on this

blur13

I think it looks great. We had the debate about choice of terminal last time this was up for discussion 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by blur13.
                      abc-nix

Looking for feedback on menus I created for antix-dusk (aXd) 23.

I think you made the right decision using searchable menus instead of category based menus. Much faster and better for a keyboard-driven experience. Not much else to say. If I have to nitpick, I prefer larger font sizes on menus (I use wofi with larger fonts), but that could break the balance you have achieved with your setup.

techore

I hadn’t heard of dusk wm before your post. Looks like a patched dwm, maybe?

At this point, the author, bakkeby, states dusk is a fork. It is not wrong to state it is a patched dwm with extra bits.

What drew me to dwm-flexipatch then later to dusk was bakkeby’s amazing documentation. Also, he has added a couple features at my request and bug fixes. I love working with him!

techore

Thank you!

We had the debate about choice of terminal last time this was up for discussion

Remind me, which terminal was your preference? As much as I like kitty, I initially picked it on a whim–kitty + fish. 😛

Gosh. Look at kitty’s memory use at 115 mb. I will look at reducing it’s history buffer. I suspect that is increasing its memory footprint.

techore

If I have to nitpick, I prefer larger font sizes on menus (I use wofi with larger fonts), but that could break the balance you have achieved with your setup.

Font size is easy to alter by editing the theme file. I may increase it to 14 after testing on a variety of different displays. Difficult to find a good balance between the different display resolutions and sizes even with the use of Xft.dpi.

/**
                               * Project: aXd
                               * Location: /usr/share/rofi/themes/nord-axd.rasi 
                               * Description: base rofi theme for use with https://techore.gitlab.io/axd/
                               * Usage: reference using '@theme "nord-axd"'
                               **/
                              * {
                                  /* Fonts */
                                  font: "Source Sans 12,Symbols Nerd Fonts 14";

Ignore the reference to https://techore.gitlab.io/axd/. That is on my very long todo list.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by techore.
                              Forum Admin
                              anticapitalista

The first thing I noticed was kitty RAM usage. Far too high (ridiculously so IMO).
                                Apart from that, very nice work.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

techore

The first thing I noticed was kitty RAM usage. Far too high (ridiculously so IMO).

Agreed. 😐

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.