file manager advice

Forum Forums General Polls file manager advice

What to do about file manager?

Trawg got rid of rox-filer and installed thunar, should trawg...

You must be logged in to participate.
  • stick with thunar
  • go back to rox-filer
  • get rox-filer and pcmanfm
  • something else... (leave comment)
  • This topic has 22 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated Jun 25-7:56 am by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

I can’t stand ‘modern’ file managers. I always use rox-filer.

I just finished mentioning that rox filer has quite a few handy features; astute readers can do a LOT with it.
      I’d say though that 75% of the time I simply use command line tools and personal alias commands; the rest of the time
      is a split between zzzFM and rox filer; I can use any file manager, either of them or mc (Midnight Commander).

Not worth the argument for me since my own customized environment is my most frequent toolbox.

--
      Brian Masinick

Anonymous

What don’t you like about ZzzFM, the other GUI FM that comes out of the box with antiX?

I just overlooked it. I’m getting along great with zzzfm and icewm now. I’m using rox-filer too.

Anonymous

Hello trawglodyte.

Did you happen to read the topics I indicated in my welcome?
          https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/what-is-antix-and-how-to-try-it-out-or-install-it/
          https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/short-essential-how-to-list-for-the-complete-linux-newbie-antix-23-version/
          https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-to-correctly-use-antix-forum/
          https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/unoficial-antix-23-frequently-asked-questions/

I’m new to antiX 23.1. I got frustrated with rox-filer and installed thunar.

When you write that you got frustrated with ROX-Filer and immediately installed another file manager, it becomes clear to other people that you still don’t know that there are three file managers in ISO full’s antiX. All the file manager names have already been mentioned here in this topic and in the topics that you should have read before installing another file manager.

[quote quote=146521]
          How do you want to learn “new things” if you don’t read the different tutorials that are available on the antiX forum?
          I produced four videos on the subject “Getting to know antiX – Part 1 and Part 2”, video number 13 is about the zzzFM file manager, 14 and several other videos on the channel are about zzzFM. You can activate subtitles and choose a language to be automatically translated. Get more information about the YouTube channel in this thread antiX Linux YouTube Channel in Portuguese, you will need to use an automatic translator to be able to read all the texts. The only people who don’t want to learn about antiX Linux are those who don’t want to.

[/quote]

Thanks, I’ll make some bookmarks there. I am getting into the documentation more now. I just like to get an OS up and running and poke around a bit. I don’t mind if it takes three or four wipe/reinstalls. It may not be the advisable method, but there’s no doubt I’m learning. I can whiz-bang the icewm desktop configs, switch the file associations in rox and so forth, pretty decently already. My little geany-as-root deb is coming in quite handy for some of those things.

BobC

I’m another one that’s tried many distros with their different default file managers, and have tried thunar a number of times. My preference is Mc for terminal work where the operations are between one or two locations, and zzzfm where available for gui based operations.

I too found rox-filer handy dealing with links, but foreign feeling for many tasks. I chalk it up to just being used to thinking about file operations based on how I learned on cp/m and DOS once upon a time, and have found that I don’t make many mistakes when I do things in a very familiar way.

To me, its good that antiX comes with the 3 file manager choices because it allows people to decide for themselves what method they are most comfortable with, without needing to install anything extra, and still allows for the install of others if desired.

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

Brian Masinick

“To me, its good that antiX comes with the 3 file manager choices because it allows people to decide for themselves what method they are most comfortable with, without needing to install anything extra, and still allows for the install of others if desired.”

@BobC I absolutely agree with this.

“I too found rox-filer handy dealing with links, but foreign feeling for many tasks.”

Again, this is true. It is definitely NOT because this
              file manager is “incapable” in any way; it is simply “different”
              than most other file managers.

Regarding the default behavior of rox filer – like so many other things,
              many of the features can be configured or customized, so for those
              willing to do so, it’s well worth digging in.

Not only is antiX lean and efficient, it’s also easily configured.
              As I’ve also stated, file management can be accomplished in numerous
              ways. My preference is to use my own alias commands, which perform
              a variety of commands to handle file operations. I do, nevertheless
              use graphical file managers at least occasionally; varying the methods
              — this has the advantage of avoiding too many repeated common
              keystrokes, so that’s a not often mentioned feature that I appreciate
              with the flexibility of our approach.

--
              Brian Masinick

Anonymous

Thanks for all the tips. It’s true, once I started using “Set Run Action”, looking in /home/ant/.config/rox.sourceforge.net, and so forth. I could see how rox-filer is infinitely configurable and very powerful. A bit too infinitely configurable for me at the moment. I also found the manual, file:///usr/share/doc/rox-filer/html/Manual.html

On the other hand zzzfm had most of the configs I needed in the gui menus, a bit different layout but approximately the same features I like in thunar (and a few thunar doesn’t). file:///usr/share/doc/zzzfm/zzzfm-manual-en.html It was more intuitive for me to get set up and working how I like. (maybe more accurate to say it taught me how to use it in no time).

rox-filer is really interesting, but I don’t need the redundancy right now. zzzfm is for me, and as Brian pointed out, much can be done with terminal (cd ls cp mv rm …).

On a related topic, using icewm became much easier for me when I found opening the Settings Manager and clicking “Manually edit config files”. Setting up the toolbar and menu with those text files is great and speedy. Doing it with the GUI is a bit clunky and slow, but gets it done. Coming from xfce, gnome, and kde experience, I wasn’t sure if I’d get along with icewm. It’s not gonna be a problem. I like it.

Oh, and putting roxterm, zzzfm, zzzfm-as-root, geany, geany-as-root at the top of the menu, so I can right-click anywhere on the screen and launch them is my favorite thing. I know some people do it with keyboard shortcuts, but this way works for me. I just love that bit of speed vs going to the toolbar for those apps. It makes me so happy.

BobC

I add things like that to my toolbar in case the distro ever makes changes to the menu. I suppose either way works.

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

Brian Masinick

RE: “On a related topic, using icewm became much easier for me when I found opening the Settings Manager and clicking “Manually edit config files”. Setting up the toolbar and menu with those text files is great and speedy. Doing it with the GUI is a bit clunky and slow, but gets it done. Coming from xfce, gnome, and kde experience, I wasn’t sure if I’d get along with icewm. It’s not gonna be a problem. I like it.”

FYI, it has always been possible throughout the history of IceWM and most certainly in antiX as well to simply navigate to the ~/.icewm folder and hand edit as few or as many files as you wish. One of the things that I’ve appreciated about IceWM for a very long time, (and in fact, I was the one that suggested that we make IceWM the default window manager instead of Fluxbox many years ago because of simple configuration and a “familiar” look and feel). We offer multiple window managers because different people prefer different things. IceWM, Fluxbox, JWM and herbstluftwm each have something unique and useful to offer.

By the way, just because these are the default window managers does not prevent users from using something else; if you are a veteran and you are willing to support your own work, you are free to use whatever you wish. For example, there are those who prefer dwm; one frequent visitor to this forum, @techore, has enjoyed dwm, and more recently @techore has shared a respin containing the Dusk window manager, a “relative” window manager that is similar to dwm; we’ve seen respins using both of these window managers, so it’s definitely possible.

Keep in mind, however, that users wishing to have forum and developer support are requested to use the software that is included in our distribution. While our software DOES encourage customization and making your own creations, those features are intended for those who are capable of supporting, explaining, and even helping others when they openly share their work. We absolutely believe in software freedom; the only reason we request that general users use what we offer is that it is difficult to provide help and support for something we haven’t built; a few forum users MAY be able to help; they are usually the ones who provide any unofficial guidance, if any.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.