File Manager problem (PCManFM)

Forum Forums General Software File Manager problem (PCManFM)

• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Feb 13-10:57 pm by rokytnji.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    mikey777

I haven’t posted any messages here for ages, as antix has been running so smoothly – a good sign!

However, this evening, for some reason when I booted up antix-core64+LXDE, PCManFM didn’t show my drives, including any attached USB drives or USB sticks, under the designation ‘Places’. All that’s listed under ‘Places’ is Home Folder, Desktop, Rubbish Bin and Applications. It means I’m unable to access my data drive (/dev/sdb1) from the graphical user interface. How can I fix this?

Many thanks in advance for any help with this.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by mikey777.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by mikey777.

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
      - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
      ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
      - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
      - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

madibi

some more details please?
        what happened when trying with rox?

christophe

Since I don’t use PCManFM, maybe these might help.

I found some things that look potentially good, by searching “PCManFM no longer showing drives”:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=220618
          http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=73398
          http://askubuntu.com/questions/1266125/thumb-drives-and-external-hard-drives-no-longer-visible-ubuntu-18-04
          http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/444154/debian-9-usb-volumes-are-not-displayed-in-pcmanfm-qts-sidebar

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by christophe.
          • This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by christophe.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

caprea

As far as I remember pcmanfm has to be used with
            dbus-launch pcmanfm
            for seeing the drives.

mikey777

Using rox: USB drives & internal drives don’t show, like in pcmanfm.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by mikey777.

- (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
              - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
              - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

mikey777

As far as I remember pcmanfm has to be used with
                dbus-launch pcmanfm for seeing the drives.

Thanks caprea.
                Programs dbus and dbus-x11 are already installed. Is dbus-launch part of either of these apps, as I can’t find an install candidate for dbus-launch? The failure of USB drives and internal drives or partitions to show under ‘Places’ in pcmanfm, occured following update with apt dist-upgrade on two of my laptops. Unfortunately, I didn’t see anticapitalista’s warning about this till after the event!

Curiously, when I made a fresh install of antix-core on a spare partition on the same laptop, USB drives & internal drives were still not recognised. However, Debian, installed in the same multiboot system, doesn’t have this problem … Odd.

I’ll do a bit more digging, before I decide on whether to completely wipe the drives (or not) and start again with a fresh antiX install on a clean drive!

I’ve reported this at https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/upgrading-antix-donts/#post-77084 as a warning to others.

mikey777

@Christophe
                  Many sincere thanks – I tried the ‘fix’ in the link you gave, but unfortunately this didn’t work

caprea

dbus-launch is part of dbus.For resource reasons dbus is handled in another way on antiX, AFAIK
                    So as I remember pcmanfm has always had the need to get startet with dbus-launch on antiX( to see the harddrives).And I wonder if this really wasn’t the case for you.
                    Did you try dbus-launch pcman-fm ?

mikey777

Did you try dbus-launch pcman-fm ?

Yes – whether I launch using dbus-launch pcmanfm in terminal, or use the gui method, it gives the same result.
                      Thanks though caprea.

mikey777

Well I’ve solved the file manager problem, kind of.
                        I’ve substituted pcmanfm for spacefm and feel quite happy with the latter – it seems easy to use and so far seems to run well with LXDE.

olsztyn

Well I’ve solved the file manager problem, kind of.
                          I’ve substituted pcmanfm for spacefm and feel quite happy with the latter – it seems easy to use and so far seems to run well with LXDE.

Good choice I think… Especially with zzz edition of SpaceFM…
                          Just a general question out of curiosity:
                          I am not using LXDE but it appears to be more flexible than other DEs, such as KDE, where you cannot actually remove Konkeror and other useless stuff.
                          So extrapolating this experiment of mikey777, replacing FM, what else can be safely removed from LXDE to make it better and more efficient? I do not suppose you can actually replace WM for JWM, if you want the ultimate dexterity?

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                          http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

mikey777

Just a general question out of curiosity … what else can be safely removed from LXDE to make it better and more efficient? I do not suppose you can actually replace WM for JWM, if you want the ultimate dexterity?

Thanks for your reply Olsztyn. To make things more efficient, due to having old low-powered hardware (see signature below), I’m using the antix-core version, so it’s a stripped down OS anyway. The basic version of LXDE, offered by cli-aptiX, was the one I installed.

Even though the install was a very basic stripped down one, I still needed to remove things I’d personally never use, e.g. links2 browser, pppoeconf, kernel-updater, remaster, firmware you wont need for your network connection, etc. The command dpkg –list was really useful, in helping me decide what to delete from my installed system. That said, I needed to add basic stuff to make it a useable operating system, e.g. adding office software, timeshift, a hosts adblocker & some antix-goodies apps, chromium, etc. I’d suggest you just play with an antix-core install, using any DE or WM (offered in cli-aptix) that interests you and just play around with it, honing it to your needs, getting rid of the surplus apps that you’ll never use.

The sky is the limit really – one of the things I really like with antix is that the flexibility is readily available …

Brian Masinick

Yeah, the original idea for our alternative images was to allow different configurations for different systems and workloads.

The original antiX was a lighter implementation of MEPIS. As code grew anticapitalista added antiX Base to allow more customization, them antiX Core so people could build their own configuration. Now we also have antiX Net for those who have a wired network and can build a system from a network image and little else.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Brian Masinick.

--
                              Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                              rokytnji

Have you tried using dmesg to troubleshoot pcmanfm. Run from command line?

Here is crazy quote from raspberry pi forums running debian and pcmanfm

Of course – that’s advice I always give anyone using fstab mounting to ensure they select this.

Just crazy that commenting the mounts out, booting once and then un-commenting and rebooting resolved it

Also. Since running core. Is gvs installed? It seems for some folks running pcmanfm. That udisks needs it also installed to work.

Something to look through for you.

http://sourceforge.net/p/pcmanfm/bugs/search/?q=pcmanfm

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                                I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                                Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                                How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.