Firefox for Android dropped about:config

Forum Forums News News Firefox for Android dropped about:config

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Sep 2-2:09 am by ModdIt.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ModdIt

Now Android about:config is removed from firefox for Android to protect us from problems with the browser..

A success story: now I am protected, I deinstalled Firefox for Android from all devices in possesion.

I have replaced the disabled product with Fennec from F Droid and if that ever goes the same way bye bye mozilla.

Nightly builds are not affected but blocking telemetry is way more difficult as compiled active.

See how long it takes for the same change to be made to the desktop version. Maybe a couple of releases on.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

At least you made me read reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/ic2bv3/why_is_aboutconfig_disabled_on_ff_7904_for/

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

@ roky, just looked at reddit.
    we were reading at GHacks ;-). Lot of angry comments. Anyone who can read knows he can break the browser by messing with
    about:config or user chrome css. This is not about that for sure, we remove things like google urls which bring money to moz.
    They want tracking and telemetry, user location, beacon reporting and the ability to push modified settings to work.

#Especialy as the big dollar agreements with Google and Yahoo for user search url sharing run out soon, bad for negotiation if naughty users destroy that functionality.

Edit, seems the arrangment is actualy renewed.

@ present checking out bromite browser, it is from one of the xda devs, chromium based but looks to be pretty good up to now.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by ModdIt. Reason: Edit addition
    ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Fennec from F droid still has the about:config available so I moved to that, do the privacy settings you wish for before first start as data reporting is opt out. i also added neat url and ublock origin addons.

Neat url is stripping the send request to google link out of search request made with any other provider, i hope, it claims to do that.

Good alternatives are Privacy Browser and Bromite. All except privacy browser have google set as default search. i was sloppy and missed that on Bromite.

Reset advertising ID afterwords if your phone allows. Changed standard search to Duck. Deleted history and tabs as the browser went straight back to goog at first.

Some phones with Android can reset the advertising id without a factory reset as was required up to (i think) Android 9.that is a unique ID keyed to other data available while using Internet makes you much easier to follow through the net.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.