Firefox on 32 non pae

Forum Forums General Software Firefox on 32 non pae

Tagged: 

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Aug 31-1:23 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jeanpat

Hello,
      Antix19.2 32 bits is just fine for my old thinkpad r50e. Firefox esr (68) is installed, there’s an issue with an extension (pearltrees web clipper doesn’t work properly). Is it possible to install the latest firefox version?

thanks

Brian Masinick

Check out http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/#product-desktop-release.

I believe that there are still 3 32-bit images available unless I read the page incorrectly.

--
        Brian Masinick

Xecure

Hello.
          You can try your luck with the newest (packaged from the MX Team) firefox available from the Package Installer.
          The current version for (newest) firefox that you can get from the Package Installer is firefox-80. Try to see if you can get the extension to properly work with this version.

Firefox-esr and (newest) firefox can both coexist in the same machine, so worry not about having both working on your system. Make sure that sound works on the newest firefox.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
          General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Brian Masinick

Thanks Xecure. I didn’t check our repos to see if we have the mozilla Firefox builds, but you are correct. We have them too.

So you can get the MX packaged version or a version provided by Mozilla directly.

--
            Brian Masinick

seaken64

Depending on your processor you may run into trouble with SSE2. Some early AMD do not support SSE2 and the regular Firefox may not work. But the ESR version does support non-SSE2. If you have trouble you should share your system info from this command:

inxi -Fxz

Seaken64

Brian Masinick

You have “the word” when it comes to these old systems seaken64! You may even have some equipment older than what anticapitalista has available!

I got three older systems from my brother in law. He was going to dump them. One of the two laptops is an EXCELLENT IBM/Lenovo X201 with an included dock, which provides more USB ports, video connections and power.

Though getting old, it’s pristine. I’m even able to run MX Linux 19.2 on it, which I do. I run antiX 19.2 on the two HP models, a desktop (which I *think* may descend from the Compaq 5000 desktop series. It has a beautiful 2211x monitor. Resolution is not like today’s units but with large fonts and a clear display it works out well.

The old HP laptop has a problem near the hinge. A thin panel with icons and status indicators comes loose and has to be carefully pushed back in place but the laptop still works with antiX 19.2.

Oh yeah, the good news is that I have been able to use whatever browser I want to use on all of these systems, whether Firefox or something else – I try a LOT of web browsers!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Brian Masinick.

--
                Brian Masinick

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.