Fix Broadcom B43 problems

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Fix Broadcom B43 problems

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 5 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated Sep 30-7:41 pm by Forto4nik.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

Some users may find that surfing the web is very slow even when connman/ceni shows wifi is connected.
    This might help.

1. sudo rfkill unblock all
    2. sudo apt purge firmware-b43-installer
    3. sudo apt update
    4. sudo apt install --reinstall firmware-b43-installer
    5. sudo modprobe -r b43
    6. sudo modprobe b43

Many thanks to @madibi for the fix.

• This topic was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by Brian Masinick. Reason: Ask your questions in the New Users and General Questions section

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

I messed up. I bought a used Netgear WNDA3100v2 usb wifi stick. Turned out it is a Broadcom BCM4323 wifi. I went into Network Assistant and then to the Linux Drivers tab. Not knowing which Broadcom drivers to use, I unblocked all of them. Now they no longer show up in Network Assistant and reinstalling them from Symantic did not get them back. They are still installed on the computer, just not showing up in Network Assistant. Two qwestions: 1. How to I get them back? and 2. Which is the best one to select? Please do not tell me I have to reinstall antiX21.

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

The changes you made in the network manager should be visible in the folder /etc/modprobe.d
    There’s a file broadcom-sta-dkms.conf
    On my system, where nothing has been changed in the network manager, it looks like this.

# wl module from Broadcom conflicts with the following modules:
    blacklist b43
    blacklist b43legacy
    blacklist b44
    blacklist bcma
    blacklist brcm80211
    blacklist brcmsmac
    blacklist ssb

Unfortunately the usb-stick you bought is really really not recommended on Linux.
    It looks like it is only usable with ndiswrapper.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by caprea.
    antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

Well, I got the problem resolved, but not the way I had hoped. I exchanged the USB stick for another one that is not Broadcom and it works fine.

In the process of trying to get the old USB stick to work though, I managed to really mess up the antiX21 installation. It started hanging on a GRUB error (would not even get the the login screen), even after reinstalling several times. This was apparently related to an earlier reinstallation not completing properly. I eventually went back to my installation CD-R for antiX19, and after some work got the wifi working. It is possible that the installation file for antiX21 on my USB drive got messed up, which was causing the GRUB errors. I have reached to point where I no longer care. antiX19 is working fine and I will probably stay with it until the end of long term support.

Perhaps by then there will be an automated upgrade process like the one recently created by the Linux Mint folks. I used it to upgrade my laptop from LMDE4 to LMDE5 and it worked fine. My 20 year old 32 bit Compaq runs too poorly on LMDE to use, so I use antiX for the Compaq, and even that has its limits (cannot go to some web sites successfully, such as YouTube, and many problems playing videos. The current process to upgrade from antiX19 to antiX21 is too complecated for me to even attempt, so I will not attempt an upgrade for now. I really like antiX for its minimal resorce requirements, which is really needed for my old Compaq.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by antixjim.
    • This reply was modified 6 months ago by antixjim.
    Forto4nik
    Helpful
    Up

Hi!
    Some time I install antiX-21 “Grup Yorum” antiX-19 “Manolis Glezos” on external disk for testing and repairing PC’s. Most of all I want to work with desktop and use “nowicd” at installing. Now I need to work notebook and can’t set up WiFi connection – nor through WPA_gui, nor CONNMAN.

I see that WiFi adapter use same driver and kernel modules as this notebook base system (Xubuntu). F.e. lspci -vnn:

07:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Limited BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: AzureWave BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter [1a3b:2047]
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
    Memory at f0100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
    Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information: Len=78 <?>
    Capabilities: [48] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
    Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel
    Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number nn-nn-nn-nn-nn-nn-nn
    Capabilities: [16c] Power Budgeting <?>
    Kernel driver in use: wl
    Kernel modules: bcma, wl

And f.e. inxi -nz:

Network:
    Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet driver: atl1c
    IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
    Device-2: Broadcom Limited BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter
    driver: wl
    IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>

CONNMAN shows me some networks, but I cant connect to target hidden network.

In WPA_gui I see no networks at all and can’t select Adapter – list have no choice.

Which next step for me?
    Thank you for advise.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Forto4nik. Reason: Version typo
    Forto4nik
    Helpful
    Up

Excuse me. It’s lead by router misconfiguration.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.