Fluxbox Quick Launcher-Screen Tearing

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Fluxbox Quick Launcher-Screen Tearing

• This topic has 23 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Jan 27-5:22 pm by Xecure.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    pascalmania

Hello again, I’m currently using fluxbox with pcman file manager and need some help about quick launchers. Is it possible to add quick launch buttons near the start menu? If not how can I assign a keyboard shortcut for a specific software (Root Menu>Add Key didn’t work) The other problem is I have gt240m gpu and 340xx legacy version driver installed, no matter I do can’t get rid of screen tearing. Also a quick question, is it possible to show volume level when I use hotkey for increase/decreasing?

PPC

About toolbar launchers:
        Kind of…
        The current Fluxbox release (that antiX uses) does not allow to add quick launch buttons.
        There’s several ways around that:
        1- Use desktop icons, place the icons (without name) near the fluxbox toolbar – this is the quick and dirty solution
        2- Use fluxbox with an alternative toolbar- like tint2 (that allows quick launchers and much more- search for my “Transformation Pack” here in the forum, to get a sense of what tint2 can do)
        3- Use a dock, like plank (tint2 can also be uses as a dock)
        4- Install Skidoo’s custom fluxbox edition (that allows text launchers in the toolbar- you can use glyphs that looks like application icons as “buttons” to start the apps, if you so wish)- this is, by far, the most complex way around the lack of launchers in fluxbox toolbar…

About editing key bindings:
        You can edit keybinding using Menu > Control Centre > Edit fluxbox settings > “keys” tab
        enter the keybiding you want (see, in the available examples how that works) and restart fluxbox.

Screen tearing:
        Try installing a compositor:
        sudo apt install compton

Start compton in the terminal and see if it fixes that problem. If it does, at it to your start up file:
        compton &

Is it possible to show volume level when I use hotkey for increase/decreasing?
        Yes.
        But you need, as far as I know, to have system notifications working (for example, installing Dunst or Herbe (search for herbe here in the forum), and configure the volume hotkeys to display the volume change)
        You can also try configuring yad-volume to pop up when you use the volume hotkeys (but probably that would need some scripting kung-fu)

P.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by PPC.
        caprea

It’s probably not nessecary to install a compositor, for the screen-tearing you can try, open the nvidia-settings GUI
          nvidia-settings
          Go to “X Server Display Configuration”

Click on the “Advanced” button and mark the box “Force Composition Pipeline”
          Click on “Apply”

If this works for you, you can make it permanent by saving it to the X configuration file.

Forum Admin
          anticapitalista

Another option already included is to use Rox-panel. Menu > Desktop > Rox Panel on/off.

Drag and drop any app desktop files from /usr/share/applications/(antix) onto the panel

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

caprea

is it possible to show volume level when I use hotkey for increase/decreasing?

If I understand you right , you can click on the volume-icon with right-click, go to settings > Hotkeys, enable them.

Xecure

Is it possible to add quick launch buttons near the start menu?

Yes, but you will need to manually edit the menu.
                xgd-open $HOME/.fluxbox/menu

Is it possible to add quick launch buttons near the start menu?

You can either configure the Rox-panel (requires editing a few files), so it has the same color, position and height as your fluxbox panel, and stay at the back.
                You can use skidoo’s fluxbox version as described in this article by PPC: http://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=47962&p=506413
                You can use a different panel, like tint2, to replace the fluxbox panel, as descried in this article by PPC here: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-transformation-pack-min-fluxbox-with-tint2-toolbar-antix-ft-10/ (See a screenshot)

how can I assign a keyboard shortcut for a specific software (Root Menu>Add Key didn’t work)

Make sure to restart fluxbox after adding keys. Maybe that is the reason it didn’t work for you.

is it possible to show volume level when I use hotkey for increase/decreasing?

As a lightweight system without transparencies and animations, antiX doesn’t provide this option out of the box. You could install dunst and add to the key commands to change the volume a notification command:
                notify-send Volume "$(amixer sget Master | grep 'Right:' | awk -F'[][]' '{ print $2 }')"
                So, the key for increasing and decreasing volume could look like:

XF86AudioLowerVolume :ExecCommand amixer sset Master,0 5%-; notify-send Volume "$(amixer sget Master | grep "Left:" | awk -F'[][]' '{ print $2 }')"
                XF86AudioRaiseVolume :ExecCommand amixer sset Master,0 5%+; notify-send Volume "$(amixer sget Master | grep "Left:" | awk -F'[][]' '{ print $2 }')"

can’t get rid of screen tearing.

You will have to add the option to the corresponding c11 configuration file.
                If using nvidia driver: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting#Avoid_screen_tearing

antiX Live system enthusiast.
                General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Anonymous

regarding toolbar menu button, wow, that was probably 2 years ago

I cherrypicked that feature, from the main fluxbox source tree, into my “2yrs ago version” but the commits supporting that feature were actually added way back in 2016. I trekked to lookitup and refresh my memory:

(April 2016) toolbar: allow labeled general action buttons
                  http://git.fluxbox.org/fluxbox.git/commit/?id=393ba45f91480bb10f510248837c6051b7ff6a03
                  -=-
                  (Sept 2016) document generic toolbar buttons
                  http://git.fluxbox.org/fluxbox.git/commit/?id=facb42fc3537a8a1288b3da38b38fa533ac1d309

If you care to see what else is absent in the fluxbox version available from (debian and) antiX, you can visit this page and scroll down (yellow box, right-hand side of page)
                  http://git.fluxbox.org/fluxbox.git/commit/?h=prep/release-1.4.0

Anonymous

@Xecure, @PPC
                    > how can I assign a keyboard shortcut for a specific software (Root Menu>Add Key didn’t work)

For the record, I haven’t widely advertised//promoted “my version” primarily because I am unenthusiastic about the prospect of fluxbox attempting to support a demographic group comprised of folks who need to be coddled. Docs are provided. A suitably-motivated user would have read them, and would have spent a mere 10 seconds to edit ~/.fluxbox/keys plus relaunch fluxbox (per the docs) to effect the change.

Note that I typed “unenthusiastic”, not “unsympathetic”.
                    In the same vein as saying “herbflusftfmm is not a good fit for all most(?) desktop computing users”, I would opine that fluxbox in antiX is available and is targeted toward advanced users.

For more casual users, a fine choice (a better fit) would be: http://mxlinux.org/mx-fluxbox/

pascalmania

Thanks for the answers, I tried the control centre/edit fluxbox/keys section but couldn’t do it, what exactly should I write to run “nwggrid” with “Alt+Space” buttons?
                      Installed and run compton and it says “[ 163.77 ] error 3 BadWindow request 2 minor 0 serial 54148: “BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)”
                      ” and the other suggestion X Server Display Configuration>Advanced there is no “Force Composition Pipeline” and the command line > nvidia-settings –assign CurrentMetaMode=”nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }” didn’t work, it says “bash: $: command not found”.
                      About volume level, I can change volume level with Fn+Arrow keys, my question was when I use hotkey and change volume level is it possible to show a mini graphical popup somewhere in the screen like in the mxlinux (not a big problem, I’ll try dunst)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by pascalmania.
                      PPC

I don’t know, by heart how the “keys” file calls the special keys, like alt and control, so, I did what I advised you to do: I opened the file and read it… Searching for “alt”, I realized it was called “Mod1”, then I searched for “space “- and there it is, simply called “space”. If you search for “Mod1 space”, will notice that it probably is already taken (at least it is in my keys file):

# open the window menu
                        Mod1 space :WindowMenu

So, replace “WindowMenu” with “nwggrid” in that line and you get:
                        Mod1 space :nwggrid

Being an external command, “nwggrid” need to be preceded by “ExecCommand”, so you get:
                        Mod1 space :ExecCommand nwggrid

Save the file, restart Fluxbox. It should work.

Now a small rant:
                        Why not use the power of search engines and “google” something like “fluxbox keys”, sooner or later you will find what you are looking for, without having to wait for other people to do it for you…

About the tearing… I’ll leave that to the experts, but my guess is that there’s something wrong with your video driver… Send in your system info, so folks here can try to help with that…

About the OSD for volume:
                        sudo apt install dunst

then follow Xecure’s tips- post back if it does not work for you… Telling what you did want exactly what did happen, ok?

P.

PPC

I would opine that fluxbox in antiX is available and is targeted toward advanced users.

Parcialy off topic (because the OP is about fluxbox)
                          Yes, but with a little bit of love, it can be almost as “user friendly” as MXFB, or even more- I use a costum toolbar, that includes quick launchers, and a button to manage those launchers (add/move/remove- a mutation of TIM, safer to use than the original tint2 proprieties windows- that can nuke the entire toolbar config with one wrong click).
                          antiX Fluxbox, with tint2, dunst installed for notifications, and probably Xecure’s tweak to enable OSD volume change (also some edits in keys to allow to use Print Screen- and, my personal favourite, the Windows key to call the menu) make it a perfect solution for people that want and easy to use desktop.
                          – Do you want desktop icons? Go for SpaceFm to manage desktop icons, and you can place in your desktop, not only application icons but any kind of files, like in most OS.
                          – If you want eye candy, slap compton to the mix.
                          You’ll end up with a desktop that is as easy to use as, and looks as good as, or even better, than most “mainstream” OS’s, Like Windows, or *buntus, Mint, etc… And still runs on some 160-170Mb of RAM (some more 25Mb or so if you use a nvidia driver)

P.

Xecure

Open the keys file (as PPC has already described) to see how the keys are named and the format used to add new ones yourself.
                            Control key is Control
                            Alt key is Mod1
                            Shift key is Shift
                            Tab key is Tab
                            The “Windows” key is Mod4
                            Arrow keys are Up, Down, Left, Right
                            Keyboard keys (letters and numbers) are the same as what you see on the keyboard (lowercase for letters)

As PPC mentioned, the format is
                            <key combination> :Event
                            If the event is launching an external app, as PPC mentioned, it would use ExecCommand <program –parameters>
                            So, as PPC mentioned, for launching nwggrid with Alt + N (for example), the key instruction would look like:
                            Mod1 n :ExecCommand nwggrid

When ready, save the file and restart fluxbox (Menu > Fluxbox Settings > Restart) so that the changes take effect.
                            I will have a look at the Add Keys program during the week and send corrections if needed for fluxbox, but I think it worked for me when testing it not so long ago.

I have already explained how to get the graphical pop up when changing the volume using the keys you described. Please read it in detail and ask if you don’t understand something.

For the nvidia problem, give us first
                            inxi -Gxxx
                            so we can see what drivers are taking control of graphical rendering and if the correct mesa OpenGL support is available.

pascalmania

I manage the shortcut key, I shouldn’t put “!” to the beginning of the line, installed tint2 and dunst and they solve the relevant problems too. Finally for screen tearing inxi -Gxxx gave me this;
                              Graphics:
                              Device-1: NVIDIA GT216M [GeForce GT 240M] vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI
                              driver: nvidia v: 340.108 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:0a34
                              Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: nvidia resolution: 1366×768~60Hz
                              OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 240M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.108
                              direct render: Yes

By the way I have to say something about PPC’s attitude about searching from google etc. I’m a simple, not a native English speaker, 35 year old guy and a first time linux user without knowledge about running commands. I tried myself to figure it out but couldn’t do it, searched some forums and couldn’t do it, so I decided to create topic here which says “New Users and General Questions”. If the old members say “use search engines and don’t wait for other people do it for you” to the new members that they know nothing about him/her than what is the point of using a forum for an operating system? If anyone feels uncomfortable or disturbed by helping me, the administrator can delete this topic, I will figure it out somehow…

pascalmania

I manage the other problems, I was thinking not to write here anymore because the last post I wrote was deleted by someone. You have been so helpful since the beginning, out of my respect for you I’m gonna write inxi result and won’t visit this forum anymore, don’t take it personal this has nothing to do with you or the other friends who has good intension

Graphics:
                                Device-1: NVIDIA GT216M [GeForce GT 240M] vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI
                                driver: nvidia v: 340.108 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:0a34
                                Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: nvidia resolution: 1366×768~60Hz
                                OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 240M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.108
                                direct render: Yes

Xecure

It is probably the spam filter. If you add terminal text without code tags sometimes the forum software blocks it.
                                  Also, editing a post a few times in a small time frame also leads the forum software to block a a post.

“bash: $: command not found”.

The command is without a $ sign (the posted command on arch wiki must be pasted without the dollar sign. The dollar sign means “run in terminal”. You would run
                                  nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"
                                  and see if it works. If it does, you need to add it to startup. Control Centre > Session > User Desktop-Session > startup (tab). Add it at the end of the file.

# Set nvidia driver non-screen tearing mode
                                  nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }" &

Save and close the geany program.

Next time you reboot it should fix scren tearing automatically.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.