Fluxbox Quick Launcher-Screen Tearing

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Fluxbox Quick Launcher-Screen Tearing

• This topic has 23 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Jan 27-5:22 pm by Xecure.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

I manage the other problems, I was thinking not to write here anymore because the last post I wrote was deleted by someone…

Nobody deleted any of your posts. It simply got caught up in the forum’s spam filter.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

pascalmania

I simply wrote “if I could manage myself or make it work from google search I wouldnt create a topic here” I thought it was deleted because of this, sorry for misunderstanding. Thanks to everyone, you’ve been very helpful.

PPC

I simply wrote “if I could manage myself or make it work from google search I wouldnt create a topic here” I thought it was deleted because of this, sorry for misunderstanding. Thanks to everyone, you’ve been very helpful.

I was the one that told you that, pascalmania – and I’m not a moderator here, I have no power to delete posts (and even if I had, you wrote nothing that pointed to the fact that it should be deleted)
          That said-if I sounded too harsh, I’m sorry, but that was because:
          – you do not use the default antiX icewm desktop (that has a GUI to do exactly what you want- have quick launch icons)- you have a desktop that does exactly what you want and, even so, you wanted to do that in one that does not, out of the box, or in a easy way…
          – You also use a non default file manager.

Both circumstances point to the fact that you are not a casual antiX user, but someone that likes to alter things… If you did know how to change your desktop and how to install and use pcmanfm as your default browser, you probably are not a mere end user, but a “tinkerer”. I’m the same way, and the way I learned stuff was using search engines… And asking here for the answers I could not finder anywhere else.
          Many new users are just plain lazy- they post here in the forum stuff that has been answered dozens of times- there are Wiki entries and sticky posts about the most of the stuff generally users what to do (like how to change desktop background, add icons to the desktop, add icons to the toolbar, configuring wi-fi, etc)
          You asked a question- I answered the best I could, giving all the steps that I followed to find the answer, so you could do that the next time you don’t know how to do something.
          If you want quick launch icons, the best way to go is to use icewm or jwm… I told you how to set the keyboard shortcut you needed… the only remaining problem, it seems is related to video.

PS: don’t instantly assume that someone censored something you posted- I had many posts eaten by the spam filter myself… No one is out to get you, everyone here just want to help as best as they can…

P.

Anonymous

( in a followup post, already half-drafted, skidoo backpedals a bit… adopting a more sympathetic tone )

[Hey! I posted to] “New Users and General Questions”.

If the old members say “use search engines and don’t wait for other people do it for you”
            to the new members
            then what is the point of using a forum for an operating system?

I’m quoting this to acknowledge that I do recognize the validity of your point: Hey, it was posted to “New Users”…

if I could manage myself or make it work from google search I wouldnt create a topic here

I believe you.
            Unfortunately, I do believe that statement is true.

If the issue seems (to you) likely to be a common question/problem, and…

forum search here shows no prior discussion
            or
            it was difficult to find the answer in the provided docs
            or
            the docs are outdated or otherwise deficient

I believe that creating a tips-n-tricks topic explaining issue+solution you found would not be on your mind.
            Unfortunately, I do believe that you, like most others, would not “bother” to pay-it-forward, attempting to help future fellow users.

Anonymous

Docs are provided. A suitably-motivated user would have read them, and

I don’t know, by heart how the “keys” file calls the special keys, like alt and control, so

Control key is Control
              Alt key is Mod1
              Shift key is Shift
              Tab key is Tab
              The “Windows” key is Mod4
              Arrow keys are Up, Down, Left, Right
              Keyboard keys (letters and numbers) are the same as what you see on the keyboard (lowercase for letters)

“old members…”
              True, physically old, and my memory regarding “what details are, or are not, correct for each version” is fogged.

http://gitlab.com/skidoo/fluxbox/-/blob/master/data/keys
              I cannot keep “so many details” front-of-mind, so I continually write notes/docs and frequently need to refer to those notes. Specific to fluxbox, and keybinds, upon checking the gitlab repo to jog my memory… I now recall that drafting enhanced documentation was one of my intended “improvements”. The version of that ‘keys’ file at gitlab does bear an explanatory header and is peppered with inline explanations/examples… but I had apparently forgotten that the “What means Mod1?” and other possibly-FAQ details are less than adequately detailed in the mainline fluxbox version.

So, I offer my apologies to the OP
              and am reminded that I should take care to “tread lightly” within replies posted to “New Users” section.

Xecure

Sorry for going off-topic here.

http://gitlab.com/skidoo/fluxbox/-/blob/master/data/keys
                I cannot keep “so many details” front-of-mind, so I continually write notes/docs and frequently need to refer to those notes.

Do you know if there is a way in fluxbox keys to differentiate between key press and key release? I remember in my early fluxbox days trying to achieve this (If Super key is pressed and released without any other combination, to load the root menu, but if it is used in a combination to NOT open the root menu). I remember using the Super/meta/Windows key with special combinations in keys file, but my initial Super_L :RootMenu always captured any Super+key combination and only opened the root menu every time (instead of letting me drag windows, or launch apps). I was inexperienced then, so maybe if I experiment now I may be able to figure it out, but if you can hint me I may not take as long to set it up. )BTW, I ended up using Super+space to launch the root menu, I am a heavy “super” user hahaha).

antiX Live system enthusiast.
                General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Anonymous

man fluxbox-keys
                  sections: KEYMODES, CHAINING
                  does not mention recognition of, different handling for, keyrelease events

based on the results of a quick check here, I suspect we cannot exactly target (bind to) keyrelease events
                  http://github.com/fluxbox/fluxbox/search?q=keyrelease&type=

Screen.cc#L658
                  skimread from Line 658 down to/thru keyReleaseEvent() and
                  notice the absence of keys()->doAction in the release event handler.
                  Instead, it is testing whether the release event is related to a defined chain
                  keys()->inKeychain()

Xecure

based on the results of a quick check here, I suspect we cannot exactly target (bind to) keyrelease events
                    http://github.com/fluxbox/fluxbox/search?q=keyrelease&type=

Screen.cc#L658
                    skimread from Line 658 down to/thru keyReleaseEvent() and
                    notice the absence of keys()->doAction in the release event handler.
                    Instead, it is testing whether the release event is related to a defined chain
                    keys()->inKeychain()

I should have read this first. Sorry I didn’t see it until now.

I will give up now on the idea and continue with my setup. At least separate keybindings inside applications works well.

Thanks for investigating this, skidoo.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
                    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.