Foldes in Desktop and Files

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Foldes in Desktop and Files

• This topic has 11 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Sep 20-8:38 am by BobC.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    gusi

Hi
    That is not good, that i can not directly create folders (with the right Mouse-key like in XFXE)
    on the Desktop , or must generate Links for that.
    My wife would never akzept this Desktop.

and good bye
    (im still waiting for that, before i do use Anti-x)

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Disable right-click uses WM menus in the preferred desktop-icon manager (be it ROX or Spacefm).
    For similar experience to Thunar (from XFCE), use Space-icewm session and change the preferences as I mentione, so right-click on the desktop doesn’t launch the Window Manager menus.

Explore the preferences windows for each and experiment. If you cannot find it, we will point you in the right direction.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

The default desktop is Rox-IceWM. I would suggest trying changing it from Main menu > Desktops menu > Other Desktops to Space-IceWM.

After you do that, any files or folders created in ~/Desktop should appear on the desktop, and you could just click them. If you don’t like the result, its easy to try a different desktop or change it back to Rox-IceWM.

gusi
    Helpful
    Up

hi,
    thanks for u answers Guys
    This System has the minimal ram, i have sever seen
    130 MB vs 310 MB (XFCE, after Start, when no notify or Powermaneger)

I have seen that BobC , and try out before
    Fact is, u must create with a File-Manager a Folder in the Desktop
    and then , u can use this ‘Folder

*But* you can not create a Desktop-Folder DIRECTLY in Interaction with the current Desktop
    And this is not good !!! i say to you: this is a Dead-criteria for many people.

if i change from XFCE to Antix, i want to use for all my supportet PC /laptops in Family and Friends
    from the lowest old PC to the high-end Performer.
    thats are 30 people, 80% have Beginner-Status , i cannot give them this desktop,
    i know their skil-level , that would produced problems, if my Wife says : “not good”
    so 80% from them say this also
    i have in installed on my test-VM Wine 6,17 , VM-Ware-player , scanner-software
    all does running , very fast , the ram-handling is better compare to systemd
    But with this Desktop more for profis

i m have a current a XFCE Master-Client (Debian , nonfree) for that with all xorg-Drivers from Vesa, ibm , ati , amd. noveau,,,
    make a image from this VM-Ware Client and play it to these PC’s
    Boot- Manager is REFind , on Secure-Boot, AIO-with REFind
    The other pc start to 99%
    the only i have to do on nvidia-Cards , is replace the noveau with the correct nvidia-Driver

Best Regards

sorry for my bad english

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Open the File Manager, go to View > Preferences > Desktop and disable the right-click launches WM menu (as I explained before).
    change-settings-file-manager

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

@gusi – welcome!

Only to add that the default ‘desktop’ (rox) is tightly integrated to the file manager (rox-filer) and works really well with ‘drag and drop’.

In the olden days, people created files/folders in the file-manager (hence the name) and then dragged the folder/file to the desktop.
    I always use this method and find your way (the ‘modern’ way) ‘back to front’

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

gusi
    Helpful
    Up

ok, guys
    u re are so loyal to this linux-Version !!!

so , i will make a deeper try ,
    and test it with my Friend on an ext. ssd
    he use wine-staging and play Wow-shadowlands

(in debian xfce , this is faster then with windows 10.
    on his PC , TRUE
    Windows make all PC’s lame

after the Tests , then i must find a way for the Desktop.
    i write again in 14 days

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

gusi, If your system is otherwise setup with antiX default options, try what Xecure suggested here:

Disable right-click uses WM menus in the preferred desktop-icon manager (be it ROX or Spacefm).
    For similar experience to Thunar (from XFCE), use Space-icewm session and change the preferences as I mentione, so right-click on the desktop doesn’t launch the Window Manager menus.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Xecure, How did you make the GIF file and is there a way to change the timing to make it change the pictures more slowly?

I tried creating a WEBM file and it took 9.4 mb, too big…

gusi
    Helpful
    Up

OK Xecure
    u has forget , im new on Antix

Call the filemanger = wrong , then come Rox, these horrible Thing
    because after a fresh Install , a Rox-Desktop is default
    in this enviroment the real Desktop has nothing to do with the “Rox-Desktop”
    u must copy filoes from u “pseudo-desktop” to u real Desktop ~/Desktop
    Rox and i would be never Friends , i swear
    and i do not know , what for people use this , all seems very chaotic to me

First , i have choose the Desktop “Space-Icewm”
    and in this Environment is spacefm the filemanger
    and this works so how u written .
    I can now like in XFCE copy, create Folders and ‘files in the Desktop
    and there is no difference what the Filemanager show and was real is in the Desktop -Folder
    the whole Thing with this Desktop and spacefm is for me more symphatic

Ok, thema Desktop is ok

#excuse my bad english

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Xecure, How did you make the GIF file and is there a way to change the timing to make it change the pictures more slowly?

I used peek (from the repos) to record a section of my screen and it converts it automatically to a gif. The speed of the gif is “real time”, but you can set the framerate inside peek (so maybe you can later change the gif properties to reduce the speed or something).

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.