*** Forbidden. Message seems to be spam. ***???

Forum Forums Administration Site Help *** Forbidden. Message seems to be spam. ***???

• This topic has 59 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated May 22-5:26 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    cyrilus31

Any relation with this topic ?

Brian Masinick

None whatsoever. That was something else that took place a while ago.

Skidoo has been one of the most knowledgeable and helpful people on the forum and has nothing to do with any political conversations that I can ever recall.

Instead he knows a great deal and also finds helpful references.

If he’s gone he will truly be missed.

--
        Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
        anticapitalista

Any relation with this topic ?

No.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

christophe

Regarding skidoo. Could it have been related to this similar-sounding situation?
            https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/my-profile-was-deleted/

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

Brian Masinick

Regarding skidoo. Could it have been related to this similar-sounding situation?
              https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/my-profile-was-deleted/

I had that concern too. I’ve not been able to isolate or confirm that as the cause of the problem, but I do urge anyone approving the spam filter changes to go over every single deletion with care, particularly looking for existing members. If there is a post or a user we know, before agreeing to delete either the post or the user, this MUST be carefully reviewed.

--
              Brian Masinick

caprea

Is it really possible to delete someones account from out of the spam filter software, I don’t think so.
                Someone could be blacklisted, but this would be seen by some more eyes, when this account tries to post again,

I’m not even sure if it is possible to delete an account as a moderator, is it?

Brian Masinick

Is it really possible to delete someones account from out of the spam filter software, I don’t think so.

Someone could be blacklisted, but this would be seen by some more eyes, when this account tries to post again,

I’m not even sure if it is possible to delete an account as a moderator, is it?

1) It IS possible, and I’ve accidentally done it myself to ctcx, as they would attest.
                  2) It was unintentional, but the SPAM filter can remove accounts, posts, and/or both.

We have to be SUPER careful; just selecting all things marked denied is not a good idea; it’s best to look at each record.

Here is what I’ve been doing to be careful: I look at each record, approved, denied, or whatever.
                  When I see a record that says Denied, whether it’s Registration denied, Post denied, or just Denied, I look to see who it is and what it’s doing. If it’s a known user, I look even closer to make sure it’s a valid message. If it’s good, I mark the message as Not Spam. I also marked known users as Whitelisted.

The next thing I do, IF I find a message (or a couple of messages) to deny and remove, I select them individually, never more than 5 at a time, all checked according to the inspection. Once they are checked, I select Delete in the selection, careful NOT to select ALL messages, and delete only the 1-5 records, messages, or denials I want to delete. My number one priority is NOT to delete legitimate transactions because spam filter entries can be taken care of at any time within a reasonable period; they do NOT have to be done instantaneously.

By examining every questionable record, repeated issues can be avoided.

--
                  Brian Masinick

caprea

OK. Thanks for the reminder to be very careful with actions and never rushed.
                    By and by it looks to me like the software has already learned, except for the one incident with Christophe, whose post with at least four links was wrongly evaluated as spam, the antispam has worked well yesterday.

Brian Masinick

It’s getting better, but we still have to carefully manage every message that is filtered to make sure it’s legitimate. The more we do this, the less we’ll have to “worry”, but as for me, I’m NEVER taking my eyes completely off of this tool. I thought, more than once, that it was going to do things correctly. Whether it was user error, tool error, or a legitimate change, we have yet another surprise this week.

Until we go weeks, even months, without a single concern, I’m going to be very watchful and careful.
                      I don’t want my posts to be removed or ignored, nor do I want my account deleted. I’m sure every legitimate participant in the forum feels the same, so I consider managing these tools an important function of a well functioning community forum.

--
                      Brian Masinick

donovan

Mates im trying to respond on the forum getting so many issues. See attached images.

Brian Masinick

Mates im trying to respond on the forum getting so many issues. See attached images.

From what I can “see” in your images, it says what the problem is:

“Forbidden, You sent forms too often. Please wait a few minutes.”

Let me guess: you tried to send something here, it didn’t “seem” like it worked, so you hit return, enter, or “tried again” a few times. This is what those messages have “said to me”.

What’s going on is either that your network, our site, or the speed of your computer, combined together, do not result in “fast” performance, so it SEEMS that nothing is happening, but the truth is that something IS happening.

Try writing a very simple reply to this thread with text only, saying something like:

I’m sending a simple message to test this.

Press the Submit button on the page, and then please wait, even for a minute if necessary.
                          Barring a HORRIBLE network, it will probably respond – in five seconds or less if the network works well, maybe 10-20 seconds if it’s not so good, but after a minute, you ought to have a legitimate message you can see here.

Try it, and tell us how that works out!

--
                          Brian Masinick

donovan

Brian I was posting these images, in case some else encounters them – since these errors appear to be generated by “cleantalk” wordpress plugin – and the devs keep the solutions on a private Ticket system.

Regarding the errors I had:

*** Forbidden. Your IP belongs to a high spam risk network. ***
                            [ no idea what caused this I was responding to a post on the antix forum ]
                            *** Forbidden. Message seems to be spam. ***
                            [ got rid of this by removing apostrophe “code” tags. ]
                            *** Forbidden. You sent forms too often. Please wait a few minutes. ***
                            [ self induced. I submitted the post 3-4 times ]

I did respond now successfully to another post even using the code tags, and there were no issues. As you said, perhaps it was a network/computer issue and was temporary.

Brian Masinick

Glad you resolved your issues and thank you for sharing.

Hopefully someone will read and apply the things you learned and documented. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

--
                              Brian Masinick

ModdIt

Usualy I get the problems as below

*** Forbidden. Message seems to be spam. ***
                                followed by:
                                *** Forbidden. Your IP belongs to a high spam risk network. ***

At that point I can only give up trying to post.
                                I think the filter takes the IP adress and calls it a spam risk.
                                It is actualy an exit point from a provider network with hundreds of thousands of users.

Quite common is also wordfence blocking access to the forum site.

Brian Masinick

I was chatting with h2 earlier and he believes that a ‘filter’, not the CleanTalk spam removal is responsible for the issues. He’s a Web developer and he is not a fan of WordPress at all, but we’ve gone back and forth on free forum software before.

Unless we change yet again some of these things are unlikely to change.

Of course if some kind soul puts down cash and physically moves to a supported product or service and volunteers to do all the work who knows what is possible?

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.